Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My 'Moon' Lunar Rover build

badsimmonds

Alphans
With my large models all over the house and due to lack of available space I have to stick to smaller models at the moment.
My latest is the superb UNCL 'Moon' Lunar Rover resin kit.
When I say superb it really is with fantastic bubble free moulding and crisp clean lines I can thoroughly recommend this kit.

As usual I laid out all the parts to see what there is and just followed the instructions. It might seem there are a lot of parts but it doesn't take long before progress zooms along.
I was originally going to attempt a studio scale of this vehicle but it has a complicated shape and some difficult wheels to create I decided to buy this kit instead.

Most of the body shape is pre-moulded and its a simple job to add some of the extra parts. I decided I would paint it once finished though I did pre-paint the two 'roll bars' as they are a different colour to the body which is just white.
The only area I had difficulty with was fixing the wheels to the axles. I don't know if there was an instruction sheet missing or I was being particularly stupid that day but I wanted the wheels to rotate so I made some modifications to make them move. However at the end of the day it didn't work out and so they ended up being static. To be honest I think it was just stupidly.

Attachments

• DSCF9629.JPG
    DSCF9629.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF9633.JPG
    DSCF9633.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF9635.JPG
    DSCF9635.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF9642.JPG
    DSCF9642.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF9643.JPG
    DSCF9643.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 15

Andernut

Alphans
Cool, this is one of my favourite movie vehicles. It's so chunky and functional looking, nothing fancy, a solid looking workhorse. I'm looking forward to watching the build.

badsimmonds

Alphans
I must apologise for some reason this build is in the wrong section, hopefully it might get moved to the correct one but meantime I'll continue this post.

I agree Andernut its a superb design and I loved it as soon as they appeared on the screen.

The next thing is the wheels, the detail on them is really nice and very nice moulding. They are in three parts and due to the moulding process are the only parts that will need some cleaning up. It didn't take long with a mini sander and some fine sandpaper and they were soon glued together. I wanted the wheels to rotate so did modify them slightly but I'll ignore the changes on this post.
The side walls on the wheels were moulded in grey resin so I masked of this area and sprayed the rest of the wheel in Halfords White Primer. Unfortunately later on I realised the gray was not grey enough so I masked of the wheel and sprayed the side walls with Halfords Grey Primer if all that makes sense.
I glued the brass axles in place (all supplied) For all its complicated design this vehicle is actually quite easy to build and the whole thing only took me a few hours in total.

Attachments

• DSCF9693.JPG
    DSCF9693.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF9690.JPG
    DSCF9690.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF9656.JPG
    DSCF9656.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF9657.JPG
    DSCF9657.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF9652.JPG
    DSCF9652.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 6

badsimmonds

Alphans
For all its complicated shape this kit is very easy to build thanks to the main body pre-moulded with most of the shapes.
Before I sprayed the white colour I hand painted the front windscreen matt black and once dry masked it off, this was followed by spraying primer white over the entire model. This will be the final colour apart from the front red stripe masked and sprayed and the small containers on either side of the body were hand painted.
I decided to paint the windscreen first as I thought it would be easier than the other way round due to making it easier to mask the black if that makes sense.
I also remembered to glue the two grills in place as its impossible after the two body sections are joined.

Next I glued the top body onto the chassis section, fit the wheels and that's about that.
The only thing left to do is the decals. I usually make a mess of this somewhere along the line so this time I scanned the decal sheet as a back up.
As I expected I did make a mess of a couple of the decals but using the scan I printed off replacements on decal paper.

Last but not least is weathering but as we are on the moon with no weather I still wanted this model to be quite dirty due to the amount of moon dust it would kick up so I went to town using a mixture of air brush using a light gray paint and some 'weathering powder' concrete colour which looks a bit like moon dust.

I'll post the finished results shortly.

Attachments

• DSCF9714.JPG
    DSCF9714.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF9713.JPG
    DSCF9713.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF9702.JPG
    DSCF9702.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF9700.JPG
    DSCF9700.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF9696.JPG
    DSCF9696.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Andernut

Alphans
This would make a great studio scale scratch build, it has none of the usual compound curves that we all struggle to copy. I am
enjoying your build log, it's looking great and I imagine that it's a real pleasure to work on.

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Andernut

Yes I really enjoyed this build, in fact long before I started it I kept taking it out of the box and looking at it and being impatient to start.
I would thoroughly recommend this kit to anyone as it turns out fabulous.
Although its only 10" long it really looks good on the shelf.
I was originally going to attempt a studio scale but the details on the wheels put me off as I decided they were beyond my skill level.
This has been a short build diary as it doesn't take long to do.

As promised here are some of my finished photos. Thanks for following the build. You might notice some overspray of light gray on the front window, this was a mistake but decided it looked like the dust was collecting on the screen so I left it there.

Attachments

• DSCN8308.jpg
    DSCN8308.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN8310.jpg
    DSCN8310.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN8394.jpg
    DSCN8394.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN8397.jpg
    DSCN8397.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN8401.jpg
    DSCN8401.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 14

Andernut

Alphans
Very nice, this design looks completely believable, it's so functional and looks like a real lunar workhorse. I see what you mean about the complexity of the wheels, just to build one for multiple moulded copies would be a complete project in themselves. Congrats on another excellent build.