Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My Moonbase 3 Buggy

badsimmonds

Alphans
Thanks for your comments. Yes it is very quiet here and on the other site which I also post. I think its been like this for a while, perhaps they are all moving to Facebook or other similar sites. It would be a shame if this and other sites packed up due to lack of interest, I really hope not.
I'm personally not going to help matters this year as this current project will be my last for a while as I'm planning to move to another part of the country. Transporting my models safely is going to be problem, after this model is complete I'll have to make some stands for my models which will fit into crates.
Having said that if things are held up I might attempt a very small model to keep my hand in.

badsimmonds

Alphans
The gaps between postings seem to be getting longer I'm afraid due mostly to some health issues which has curtailed a number of things. However I'll try and get this finished as it has taken a lot longer than I originally thought.

After the rear details I thought it was time to tackle the roof dish. As usual I cut down a spare acrylic dalek skirt dome using a mini cutter, the curved parts were also acrylic. I glued on one piece and later I cut out a notch for the main dish support (also acrylic). The other curved piece was cut in half and fixed to either side of the first one, this also strengthened the main dish support.
Later on I decided the support was not wide enough so I added another length of acrylic and blended in with some p38.

Attachments

• DSCF0403.JPG
    DSCF0403.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0405.JPG
    DSCF0405.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0406.JPG
    DSCF0406.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0504.JPG
    DSCF0504.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0415.JPG
    DSCF0415.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 8

badsimmonds

Alphans
The dish has to rotate and move forwards and back albeit limited.
I used some acrylic tubing filled with p38 and cut down to size with a grove to take the dish support arm. It was then a matter of curving the end of the support arm to fit the groove and drill a hole straight through everything for the brass rod axle.
The circular details were washers with smaller washers in-between, I then used some wood dowel as a pivot pin which would fit into the bottom of the acrylic tube through the washers into the rear bulkhead support.
To hide the ends of the brass axle rod I used some plastic buttons which had a nice curve to them.

All that was left to do was the front dish detail. I had already completed this but due to lack of info on this area I decided what I had done was too different so I removed the details and started again. I don't have many photos of this part of the build. I drilled some very small holes in the dish so the thin brass rods would have something to glue into.
I still don't think its accurate but it will have to do.

Attachments

• DSCF0521.JPG
    DSCF0521.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0519.JPG
    DSCF0519.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0498.JPG
    DSCF0498.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0449.JPG
    DSCF0449.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 11

badsimmonds

Alphans
I'm having trouble posting photos on this site now so I don't know if these will appear or not.
These photos show the dish detail I mentioned above.
The first one shows my original detail and the second one the final version.

Attachments

• DSCF0646.JPG
    DSCF0646.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0577.JPG
    DSCF0577.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 12

badsimmonds

Alphans
There are a couple of 'thingy's above the front bumper plus one on the roof, I've no idea what they are but fortunately they are a simple shape.
I used some plywood cut, sanded, filled and primed a few times till nice and smooth.
These items are supported by some brass rods bent this way and that. To create the small circular item where the rods enter the wood were made by hole punching some plasticard and drilling a small hole in the middle. They just slip over the rod ends and glued into place.
The two bottom pieces are fitted in place by some thicker tube which fits into the ends of the brass rods. The larger tubes are glued to the brass but will not be glued on the model and will remain removable.
The top part being bigger has a slightly larger support tube so I had to glue some extra wood under the roof to make it thicker.

My photos don't seem to be showing as they used to as you have to click on each one to see it. Is it just me or is this now normal?

Attachments

• DSCF0515.JPG
    DSCF0515.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0531.JPG
    DSCF0531.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0533.JPG
    DSCF0533.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0536.JPG
    DSCF0536.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0539.JPG
    DSCF0539.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 11

badsimmonds

Alphans
I bought a flashing led complete with battery pack from eBay as I decided to have the roof light work. I drilled a hole in the roof which would take the red plastic cover from a lamp I had lying around, it along with others were going to be used on a full size Orac I had intended at one time to make.
To create the small metal protective cage round the light I used some brass rod bent over a small pipe. I just used two pieces which would fit over the lamp into some predrilled holes round the lamp base.
They will not be fitted permanently until after final painting. The battery pack just sits inside the model and is switched on via an external switch hidden amongst the details on the rear bulkhead. This is the reason I decided to have the model in two parts so I could change the batteries when required.
Apart from a couple of doors, decals and painting the model is nearly complete.

Attachments

• DSCF0551.JPG
    DSCF0551.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0669.JPG
    DSCF0669.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0492.JPG
    DSCF0492.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0493.JPG
    DSCF0493.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 16

badsimmonds

Alphans
Next step is final painting. Throughout this build I've looked for a suitable spray paint without much luck so in the end I decided to spray the model with a light coat of Halfords white primer.
Once dry I then lightly sprayed some Tamiya light grey flat spray, I didn't worry about it being uneven as it helps in the final 'dirty' look.
I probably could have got a better colour if I'd hand painted but that would have created brush strokes no matter how careful you are.
The wheels and front & rear areas were left as grey primer and the dish and roof attachments etc were also sprayed white primer as the final colour.
Once completely dry I'll start the stickers and of course the window.

Attachments

• DSCF0639.JPG
    DSCF0639.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0641.JPG
    DSCF0641.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0642.JPG
    DSCF0642.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0686.JPG
    DSCF0686.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 15

badsimmonds

Alphans
Window next. I made a paper template of the window leaving lots of overlap for internal gluing. I first used some clear plastic I had left over from my Stingray but it was a tad too thick as I couldn't get it into the corners. I then tried some thinner plastic which did bend well but it was a tad too thin but as it was all I had it had to do.
I hot glued it from the inside and once dry I sprayed it with Halfords Matt black spray from the inside. Although matt it looks glossy from the outside.
I'm not entirely happy with the window but it will have to do.

Attachments

• DSCF0679.JPG
    DSCF0679.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0676.JPG
    DSCF0676.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0636.JPG
    DSCF0636.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0638.JPG
    DSCF0638.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 5

badsimmonds

Alphans
The two doors were cut from plasticard, sprayed white primer and stuck on using double sided tape. As the doors overlap the joins in the top/bottom parts of the model I couldn't permanently glue them in place as I needed access to change the batteries in the future.
With them in place plus the window I can now fit the grab handles and door lock. They were just made from some brass rod bent and painted matt black.
It feels as if the model is coming together with them in place.

Attachments

• DSCF0600.JPG
    DSCF0600.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0687.JPG
    DSCF0687.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0696.JPG
    DSCF0696.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 8

badsimmonds

Alphans
The final update. All I had left to do was stick on the various white panels using self adhesive white paper labels. I used a mixture of rectangular and circular shapes bought from the local stationary shop.
The red square was some tape cut to size with a self adhesive vinyl number added on.
I chose the number 2 but I believe there were supposed to be three buggies for Moonbase 3 as I'm sure I saw different numbers in some scenes.

I gave it another air brush to dirty it down and that's it.
Its not an exciting design but I have to admit I've grown fond of it and I'm glad I attempted it. I have to admit its not entirely 100% accurate as its been a model of compromises as I wanted to use materials I had lying around which meant changes had to be made. For all that I think it turned out better than I originally hoped.

Unfortunately its the last model I'll be doing for some time as we have plans to move to another part of the country later this year all being well. Its going to be difficult moving all my stuff as it is without adding any more.
Hopefully once I've settled down I can start up again.
Many thanks to all that have looked at my builds and I hope you found it interesting. I've certainly enjoyed it. Bye for now.

Attachments

• DSCF0718.JPG
    DSCF0718.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0717.JPG
    DSCF0717.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0713.JPG
    DSCF0713.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0711.JPG
    DSCF0711.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF0719.JPG
    DSCF0719.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

sigspace

Alphans
Superb work, and very interesting article to follow. Much quicker than my own project and dare I say a lot better than I could do.

badsimmonds

Alphans
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I've grown quite fond of this vehicle and very glad I attempted it.
If it wasn't for Sigspace I might never have thought of it. Thanks Sig for sending the plans you drew up which were very helpful. My version was full of compromises due to using what ever I had lying around. I have a tendency to rush through my builds so I'm sure if more time is taken your build will turn out better than mine.
Thanks again.