Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My (postponed) CM Interior

BrianS

Alphans
I thought it would be cool to make a version of the 44" Eagle with the CM, the corridors, and the Transporter Pod all done as cutaways. and with all accurate interior details and lighting, etc.

At the end of last year I got a bit of a start down that road. I acquired a 44" CM and started playing around with soft clay etc to figure out how the interior would have to be set up to fit with figures which are the right scale for the 44" model.

Here are some (VERY) rough WIP shots. At this point in time I was still roughing out sizes and shapes of certain things, but these are what the rough dimensions would end up needing to be.

This is a rough version of what the final CM would look like:

Next is a close up of the side with the front half of the nose not attached. I was trying to get the right heights and proportions for the seat and the wall instrumentation along with the overhead lighting. This was the final layout for them. (In later work, I cut out the door space on the back wall. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of that work)

And this final shot shows what the forward view of the interior would look like. I tried to account for what had been seen of various interior shots, including space enough for the instrumentation around the bottom of the window - and placement of all those orange instrumentations we always saw close-ups of though we never saw them in any of the wide angle cockpit shots. The size of the orange instruments is a bit larger in proportion than I will ultimately make them. This was still just about testing general shapes and sizes. Additionally the vertical center piece running between the cockpit windows and down to the floor would end up being thinner and a bit forward of the orange instrumentation wall.

Unfortunately because of some RL issues I have had to postpone further work for the time being. But since there seemed to be interest in viewing this sort of thing, I thought I would post these for your viewing pleasure. :)

Bishop

Alphans
It shows well the impossibility of matching the set with the CM. You'd have to have some sort of monitor the pilots could use for vision rather than the rather limited view from directly out of the windows themselves. It doesn't match the shots where we see pilot faces (unless their seats are raised or they're standing up, but you get that.

Great work so far Brian, hopefully it will come to completion in due course.

BrianS

Alphans
Thanks Bishop!

I always that the glass of the windows is refractive, bending the light so they can see out just by looking up, and we can see down just by looking in. ;)

Alpha149

Forum Supporter
Wow Brian!

That looks sweet! Now I know why you needed the pod door dimensions. :thumbup: I have the figures at in and around 1/29 - 1/30 scale...I think. I picked up a Scaletric pit crew

http://www.scalextric.com/shop/pit-crew-great-new-prices/pit-team-tyre-crew--red/

in red to convert into Alpha astronauts (1/32) but they are just too short. :think: Unless I throw out the few references I have to figure out scale in the first place. Yours looks like it's coming along nicely. :clap:

Last edited:

BrianS

Alphans
I don't have the calculations in front of me right now, but when comparing on-screen proportions of sets including things like doorways and the Transporter Pod hatchway, etc to the known heights of particular actors - and then compared them to the model's dimensions - I believe I came to the conclusion that a figure about 7 CM (or 2.75 inches) tall is about the right height for the 44" model.

Last edited:

Dr Kane

Alphans
Great idea! Seems like you're doing OK despite the inherent difficulties. I'm impressed. :clap:

saturnapollo

Alphans
That's looking pretty impressive so far Brian. I guess that there was always going to be "fudge" factor, but you haven't made it obvious that certain artistic licence has to be applied.

Keith

BrianS

Alphans
Thanks. Basically, it all comes down to whether you want the interior to look as it does from the exterior - or if you want the interior to look as it does from the interior.

If you are viewing your interior only from the exterior, then it makes sense to not even try to match the interior. It simply wont fit (since the pilot heads are not even close to window height). But if you are viewing the interior directly, then it makes much more sense to try to match the interior to what was seen of the interior on the show. And it is amazing how well those interiors fit within the space alloted. As you say, there are a couple things to fudge, but they really are not that noticeable at all.