Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My Scratchbuilt Helijet

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
Agreed it is really coming along now. May I ask what you are using to scribe the panel lines badsimmonds ? That is always a tough challenge for me as invariably the knife slips !

Simply beautiful....

.....you may hate doing cockpits and the like but this one's beautiful in its simplicity. Clean lines, crisp detail and functional-looking.....10/10 again.

Now, if only you had a couple of pilot figures.........or would that send you over the edge??

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Slate, Patrick many thanks for your kind comments.
This is only the second model I've scribed and yes sometimes it slips but that's down to me not being careful enough. You can refill the lines with filler and start again but I have to say that never really worked for me as in my experience scribing filler turns out different from scribing fibreglass etc. If I slip I cheat by putting a little panel over it and/or dirty it down. I use very thin plasticard or sometimes I spray over those little sticky labels you can buy in shops and just stick them over the offending part. I know its very cheaty but it works (for me anyway)
The scribe I use is a very cheap simple one, its metal and the size of a pen, there are no names on it. I got it on ebay as I didn't want to spend too much, it works fine and I'm happy with it, sorry I can't be more helpful.
I can only scribe the fibre glassed bits, the two side engine pods being wood will have the lines drawn on using pencil, at least with pencil you can rub them out if they go wrong. When a model is finished I will go over the scribe marks with a sharp pencil just to highlight the lines.

As to having figures in the cockpit probably not as none of my models have any figures in them, mostly because I'm not much use at painting figures or modifying them. In saying that if I came across suitable figures that didn't need any work I would not be averse in using them.

all the best BS

Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
The end is almost in sight, I didn't take many photos of its underside but I did fit some details there including the two vertical thrusters. They were made from a piece of aluminium tube which used to be an extending pole for roller painting, The interior details are cut down hose connectors.
I didn't go too mad with detailing the underside but all the important bits are there.
I also cut out and fitted some lengths of brass rods which are housed on either side under the side pods, plus a piece under the rear tail.
Finally I now get to fit the two conning tower things, once they are in place it will make working with the model much more difficult as I'll have to take extra care when working on it.
I also filled the depression on top of the conning towers with fibreglass resin, I just let it find its own level. Oh yes and I did the same with the side engine pods intakes and outtakes, all these areas will be covered in mesh eventually.

Attachments

• DSCF3617.JPG
    DSCF3617.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF3612.JPG
    DSCF3612.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF3616.JPG
    DSCF3616.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF3714.JPG
    DSCF3714.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF3715.JPG
    DSCF3715.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Paint time, I always hate this part.
After more sanding and a few more primer coats it was time for the finish colour. There are loads of versions of this vehicle in Thunderbirds and beyond but I had decided mine was going to be based on the version seen in 'Thirty Minutes After Noon'
As this model was done on a very small budget I decided to use what sprays I had lying around. I used a metallic grey colour but that turned out too dark.
I hummed and hawed for a few days trying to make up my mind, in the end it was too dark so I over sprayed with moondust silver to brighten it up.
Once that was well and truly dry I masked off the appropriate areas with car tape as its narrow and flexible and covered the rest of the model in bin liners.
I actually had to buy a can of blue spray ( they are quite expensive for what you get) and then sprayed the model hoping there wasn't a gap somewhere.
With the liners etc removed it starts to look like what its supposed to be.
There is still a bit to do, more details, stickers, cockpit etc.

Attachments

• DSCF3795.JPG
    DSCF3795.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF3792.JPG
    DSCF3792.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF3742.JPG
    DSCF3742.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF3746.JPG
    DSCF3746.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF3738.JPG
    DSCF3738.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 25

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
Wow ! It looks even better with paint on it - that is one superb model my friend !

Have you seen this image of how it appeared in Joe90 ?

Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Thanks Howard for your compliments its very kind.

Slate, yes I had a picture of this configuration on my work top, I had thought of building that one but in the end I chose the '30 mins' version though I have to say I like all helijet versions.
Malcolm

techno

Alphans
This is Looking Superb! i bet,if You took Your Finished Helijet to aGerry Anderson Event, Someone Would Ask Where You got a Studio Model like That! Keep up the superb Work! Dan

badsimmonds

Alphans
Its now down to the fiddly bits.
The cockpit was masked off and sprayed best I could, when dry I used some blue vinyl tape to 'frame' the clear areas, not perfect but it keeps me happy. As you can see I've actually sprayed the interior cockpit almost black, this to hide it a bit as you don't always see the interiors that clearly on the real models, if I didn't do this it would be too much in your face I think.
The two rear engine exhausts were cut from a piece of plastic pipe. I then fitted a base inside each one so I had something to fix it to the model, I also fitted some mesh inside each one and at the front intakes plus on the top winglet mounts. The mesh I used was some left over from a dalek build, I sometimes use the aluminium mesh from Halfords but I thought it looked too fine.
As this is a flying vehicle it must have Port & Starboard running lights. These are fitted on the front and rear support legs just at the bend. For the lights I used red & green map pins, the ones that are spherical and about 4mm in diameter. I just drilled small holes, reduced the metal pin bit and glued them in place. Although I say it myself they do look like lights.
The yellow coloured vinyl tape surrounding the blue area is put on as is the rest of the areas needing tape.
I went over all the score lines with a sharp pencil to highlight them a bit more.
I created panels over the body by masking of areas and rubbing black powder paint over them and wiping the excess off. T then went round those areas with a pencil to give them a bit of an edge.
Nearly there now.

Attachments

• DSCF3837.JPG
    DSCF3837.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF3822.JPG
    DSCF3822.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF3817.JPG
    DSCF3817.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF3811.JPG
    DSCF3811.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF3800.JPG
    DSCF3800.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Here is a photo of the 'map pin lights' I used.
I haven't dirtied it down yet as I do not have an air brush at the moment.
Another I forgot to mention which was the landing skids. They were made out of brass strip and were the last bits fitted in place.

Attachments

• DSCF4060.JPG
    DSCF4060.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF3745.JPG
    DSCF3745.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Me again, this time with the finished photos of the helijet.
It still needs to be dirtied but that's it for this project.

Attachments

• DSCN5133.JPG
    DSCN5133.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN5129.JPG
    DSCN5129.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN5127.JPG
    DSCN5127.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN5126.JPG
    DSCN5126.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN5125.JPG
    DSCN5125.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 21
Absolutely first class

badsimmonds, you're a star. What a great project - what a great helijet. If you've been working on a tight budget then it doesn't look it at all, and it has just the right amount of detailing and panelling to give it weight and depth. Thanks for all the pictures and "how to" steps, displayed on some of my favourite threads on the Forum. You have a real ability to fashion pretty much anything from anything, and it's a gift which I, for one, would love to be able to copy.

Well done indeed!

Kindest regards

Patrick

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
First class work badsimmonds ! I agree with you though, it needs a fair amount of dirt to make it appear "used". I would go for dark MIG powders if I were you as they really do bring the Thunderbirds models to life.

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi everyone

Many thanks for all the kind comments its very gracious of you.
I'm glad you enjoyed the build as much as I, lately I've had so much spare time I've gone mad building models. Next week I'll start posting another build I did along side the Helijet, I hope you enjoy that one as well.
The wife has commented the house is getting a bit full so I'll have to cut back or we move to a bigger house.
Many thanks again
BS

badsimmonds

Alphans
Its been a few years since I completed this build and I have to admit I was not entirely happy with it. The final finish always bothered me but as I generally don't re-visit my models I just put it on a shelf and forgot about it.
However after I finished my SPV I decided I had to do something as I kept seeing it every day. In the end I kept it very simple which meant dirtying it down even more and adding some lettering to the side to represent this particular design of Heli jets many uses.
I really went to town on the dirt by using masking tape to create a straight line then using my finger to spread some powder then brushing away the excess before removing the tape. As usual a lot of the dirt disappears in photos so I can assure you it is very dirty.
I wanted to make it look like it was a work horse that was in constant use and never had enough time for it to have a good clean.
For this particular paint scheme I went with 'WORLD TV' on the side. It takes away the blandness and makes it a bit more interesting. I had the lettering made by a company on the internet and was self adhesive vinyl, with the letters set out on a bit of tape its just a matter of positioning them firming them down, easy peasy.

Its a very small upgrade but I'm a bit happier with the end result. I was at one time tempted to turn it into the heavily modified version seen in a Joe 90 episode but I chickened out.

Attachments

• DSCF9619.JPG
    DSCF9619.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF9623.JPG
    DSCF9623.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF9626.JPG
    DSCF9626.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF9628.JPG
    DSCF9628.JPG