Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My Space 1999 UNCL Type 1 Laser tank

badsimmonds

Alphans
When I finished my Moonbase 3 Buggy I thought that was that for models this year as we intended to move to another part of the country. But with the world going through a bad patch and stuck in house with nothing to do I managed to obtain an UNCL resin kit of the Type 1 Laser Tank.

I'll be the first to admit I'm pretty useless at small models/kits which is why I usually build big models so it will be interesting to see what the outcome of this small project is.

Looking at the kit its the usual top quality moulded parts you'd expect from UNCL with very little cleaning or filling to do. This is an excellent kit with amazing moulded detail and I take my hat off to these guys. As you can see there are few parts and some of them are quite small which has me worried already.
I started with the track sections which are moulded as one piece which are the only real parts which needed some cleaning up. The instructions say these parts have to be painted before final fix to the chassis section. After cleaning I just sprayed some Halfords grey primer over the tracks and chassis which will remain the basic colour. The track painting I'll leave till later.

Attachments

• DSCF0816.JPG
    DSCF0816.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0818.JPG
    DSCF0818.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF0820.JPG
    DSCF0820.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0823.JPG
    DSCF0823.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0824.JPG
    DSCF0824.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 23

badsimmonds

Alphans
This build will be a quick one as its a small model only just over 7 inches long plus there are not too many parts.
I gave the command front section a spray of gray primer to check on any defects which there were none so I glued it to the main rear section.
As you can see there is a tremendous amount of moulded details which are very crisp. It doesn't take long to fit most of the parts to the body. I did lose one part which pinged off and after spending hours looking for it I gave up thinking I'd have to create something similar to take its place. Well next day after looking in all the most silly places I found it caught in my old jacket I wear in the garage. That was a relief.

Attachments

• DSCF0838.JPG
    DSCF0838.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF0837.JPG
    DSCF0837.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0832.JPG
    DSCF0832.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0828.JPG
    DSCF0828.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 17

badsimmonds

Alphans
Thanks Kevin though I have to admit the model looks good because the kit is good.
The laser canon was slightly bent at the end and when I tried very carefully to bend it back it snapped - no surprise there considering it was resin.
I tried to glue it back as it was but no go so I drilled a hole in the larger part of the cannon the same diameter as the broken bit. Its only about 2mm deep but enough to give the join something to grip onto. All it means is the cannon is now about 2mm shorter, I hope it doesn't effect the fire power.
The rear end of the canon is separate and needs to be glued on to complete it.
I'm afraid I didn't take many photos of this build so I'm going to have take some extra.

Attachments

• DSCF0842.JPG
    DSCF0842.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 22

badsimmonds

Alphans
Next on the agenda is to paint the two track sections. First I sprayed a thin coat of Halfords white primer over them not too thick as I wanted it to look uneven and hopefully start looking a bit dirty.
I thinned down some Tamiya Matt Black XF1 and hand painted the tracks trying to avoid the support wheels.
Later once dry I glued them onto the chassis which completes that part of the build.

Attachments

• DSCF0847.JPG
    DSCF0847.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0846.JPG
    DSCF0846.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF0848.JPG
    DSCF0848.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF0859.JPG
    DSCF0859.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 16

badsimmonds

Alphans
The next stage involves working with some small brass etched pieces which have me really worried knowing my problems with dealing with small parts.
Following the instructions I cut the parts from the frame and carefully bent the ends over and glued them into place.
After that I carefully bent the brass antenna into the appropriate shape, this part was even smaller than the first, again this was glued down. I drilled a hole in the rear dish support and fitted some thin brass rod which will help holding the part during painting but also be used to fit to the main body later on.
Its certainly not perfect but its the best I can manage and I can live with it.

Attachments

• DSCN8610.JPG
    DSCN8610.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0858.JPG
    DSCF0858.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0857.JPG
    DSCF0857.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0854.JPG
    DSCF0854.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0853.JPG
    DSCF0853.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 14

badsimmonds

Alphans
This will be the last update on this model as its just about done.
I drilled a hole through the laser gun at its pivot point and glued in a panel pin
which will act as a swivel point. The gun will pivot left & right but not up or down.
The whole model was then sprayed Halfords white primer, I gave it a thin spray so some of the gray primer underneath would darken the white as if it was dirty. Once dry I started to mask and paint the small panels on the model however this turned out a disaster as every one leaked. After spending ages trying to tidy it all up I decided not to bother with the panels in the end, there are one or two on the model which I just left even though they are far from good.
The side vents on the body I gave a light coat of thinned down Tamiya XF1 matt black using a brush and cotton bud.
The decals after attaching the bigger ones I had great problems with the smaller ones which are really small. Again in the end I left most of them off as I just have no luck or skills in dealing with small items.
After gluing the main body to the track section that completes this model, its far from perfect as I always have trouble with small kits.
This resin kit from UNCL is superb and well worth buying as you end up with a fabulously detailed model which is to the same scale as the 22" eagle models.
I'm sure others could do a much better job on this than I did. I'll post some finished photos later.

Attachments

• DSCF0874.JPG
    DSCF0874.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0870.JPG
    DSCF0870.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0867.JPG
    DSCF0867.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0861.JPG
    DSCF0861.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN8608.JPG
    DSCN8608.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 9

badsimmonds

Alphans
As promised here are some finished photos of the tank. Many thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed the build.

Attachments

• DSCN8604.JPG
    DSCN8604.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN8598.JPG
    DSCN8598.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN8601.JPG
    DSCN8601.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN8602.JPG
    DSCN8602.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 14

badsimmonds

Alphans
Thanks for your comments. Although I always struggle with kits I'd recommend buying UNCL kits as the details are excellent and the moldings are of very high quality.