Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My Stingray Build

badsimmonds

Alphans
After a long break from models ( I was decorating the house over the summer months) I'm getting back into swing of things with this Stingray build.
Earlier this year I was building TB1 & TB3 and it was my intention to do TB4 but after the Hanslope model show in July I bought a Studio 2 kit of Stingray.
This kit is approx 32" long and is made from fibreglass and resin, this is the third kit I've bought from Mamas and I've been dying to get started on it for ages.
As you can see there are not that many parts due to the shape of Stingray, but I love that clear ratemaster part, there is also the usual bag of various bits. As I want to display the finished model sitting on its two extended skids I hot glued some hard wood to the inside, this will give me a foundation to drill into later. I also glued some balsa (to keep the weight down) in various places so I can shape parts of the body and have the ratemaster able to spin. Once these are in place I'll fibreglass over the wood to give extra strength to them. The wood looks a bit rough but its never going to be seen.
I was hoping to fit a hatch cover in the sting missile outlets but I'm not sure about that yet.

Attachments

• DSCF6280.JPG
    DSCF6280.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF6283.JPG
    DSCF6283.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF6284.JPG
    DSCF6284.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF6290.JPG
    DSCF6290.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF6297.JPG
    DSCF6297.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
A winning combination.....

A kit made by Mamas, built by badsmmonds - a real winner.

Can't wait for the next update, M!

Kindest regards,

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Time for a small update.
I was wondering whether to add the sting missile hatches to this model as they are not moulded and after much thought I decided I would even though I knew it would give me a headache.
I drilled a hole in one side and enlarged it to take a 15mm pipe, however later I decided this was a bit on the small side and used a bigger plastic pipe. I have spent ages sanding and filling this hole so it would blend in with the existing shape. The trouble is I don't think you ever see this area properly in the series so I have to make it up. My intention is to have a short length of plastic pipe fitted in this hole and then have a 'hatch' in the end. I used a cut down plastic wheel cap from a Tiger Joe tank as it looked 'hatch like'. I also want this hatch to be as far back as possible so to support the tube inside the body I used loads of filler using the tape/filler method to create a tunnel for the tube if that makes sense.
I have spent ages on this and its still not finished as I keep modifying it, plus I started the hole on the other side as well so I had to keep both sides equal.
Its at this point I wished I hadn't started this.

Attachments

• DSCF6312.JPG
    DSCF6312.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF6308.JPG
    DSCF6308.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF6305.JPG
    DSCF6305.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF6302.JPG
    DSCF6302.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF6300.JPG
    DSCF6300.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 25
But we're glad that you have.....

Hi Malcolm, good to see that you haven't lost your adventurous spirit. I don't know an awful lot about the craft, so your posts help to expand my knowledge a wee bit: plus, tape and filler!!!

I just know that the end results will be worth the hassle - I'm finding that myself on my own project at the moment (you could see it all far enough until, suddenly, you think to yourself, "actually, in the cold light of day, that looks brilliant").....

Keep on keeping going, and we'll stand by for (more) action!

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
After loads of sanding & filling I decided it was time to move onto the next stage which is joining the two halves together. Before I did this I glued two plastic pipes in the missile holes which will have hatches fitted some time later.
My method of joining fibreglass bodies is very messy and I'm sure some people would do it much more neatly. I created a lip of fibreglass round one edge using hot glue to keep it in place then used resin to properly fix it.
Once that was dry I placed on the top half and fibre glassed it.
Later I sanded down the join and filled with P38, for the past few days I've spent the usual endless filling/sanding until I'm happy with the join.

Attachments

• DSCF6348.JPG
    DSCF6348.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF6346.JPG
    DSCF6346.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF6339.JPG
    DSCF6339.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF6334.JPG
    DSCF6334.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF6328.JPG
    DSCF6328.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 31
To hull and back.....

No matter how messy the process may be Malcolm, it still looks terrific once it's joined, sanded and primed. Don't you ever get tired of all that sanding??Looking forward to more pictures once you get to the next stage.

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Patrick

In answer to your question its yes and no if that makes sense. There are times when it seems endless but the thing about using filler and all that sanding is you can see the final shape or curve slowly emerge and you start to think the project is getting there.

This past week I've been up in Scotland again visiting the folks so I only did a bit on the model yesterday. This time its the 'exhaust ports' behind the side fins. Its very much like working on the missile tubes though unfortunately I didn't put enough support behind this area before fixing the body half's together. This means I have to fill this area with something before I can proceed. As you can see from the photos it looks a right mess and I can see lots more filling and sanding in the days ahead.

Attachments

• DSCF6359.JPG
    DSCF6359.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF6358.JPG
    DSCF6358.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF6357.JPG
    DSCF6357.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 41
Exhausted?

Hi Malcolm, hope you enjoyed your trip North! Appreciate your comments about fitting stuff almost retrospectively but, with a one-off model like yours, you don't get a dry run or a test fitting before you embark on the main event. It's easy for me to say, but you'll work out how to do it, and then you'll enjoy a real feeling of achievement.

I just know that this model is going to look superb - all those graceful lines to play with - and look forward to further updates.

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
As usual there has been a lot of sanding etc on the two 'exhaust' ports over the last few days and they are nearly finished. As with all models there will be continuous tweaking to try and get it right.
To achieve the basic curve shape to these areas I used a pipe covered in tape and liberal amounts of filler and pushed it in place. Once dry I removed the pipe - with great difficulty - re-sanded and repeated the exercise. After more sanding and filling I got the shape I was after, doing one was bad enough but there is still the other side to do.
Next I decided to do the landing skids as I want to get as much done as possible before I start fitting the stabilisers etc which will get in the way.
This kit had the skids scribed into the body so I used this reference to drill four holes to take the aluminium pipes. The skid was shaped from another piece of aluminium strip. To join these I used the same method used on my Fireball Jnr which was to drill holes in the skid and fit a couple of rivets without breaking off the long tab. I then slightly bent this tab to the correct angle and using filler fitted it into the bottom tube of the 'hydraulic' supports. Again there will be some fine tuning to get it sitting right.
The tubes are made from two different diameter tubes to give the impression they slide into each other.

Attachments

• DSCF6391.JPG
    DSCF6391.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF6389.JPG
    DSCF6389.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF6378.JPG
    DSCF6378.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF6366.JPG
    DSCF6366.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF6363.JPG
    DSCF6363.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 23
Well and truly on the skids......

There are few things I look forward to more on the ETF than a notification that there's an update on a badsimmonds thread, by the great man himself. The untrimmed rivet system is back in use again, I see, and all the better for it being reintroduced.

This is going to be some model when she's finished - so many upgrades and additional detailing going on, and so many of them involving tubes, curves and graceful styling - all tremendously difficult to get right, I'd have thought. You obviously had a good quality kit with which to work in the first place Malcolm but, as usual, you have made this one your very own by expending so much painstaking effort and skill.

Here's to the next update!

Kindest regards (and well done)

Patrick

TerraForm1

Alphans
Yea, what pfleming said and more. Your builds of other peoples kits are just as interesting as your personal scratchbuilds. I always look forward to your posts. Thanks.

badsimmonds

Alphans
This build has slowed down some what due to the weather and of course Christmas which has sneaked up on me this year.
I could sand this model for ever and repair any defects but it will through the course of the build get even more scratches etc so for the moment I decided to leave it be. The rear ratemaster surround was due next and is in one piece.
I sanded and filled any bubbles and gave it a primer coat which shows up the bits that get missed. I glued it in place and once dry it was filler, sand & spray time.
After that it was the turn of the two side stabiliser fins. Again I sanded, filled where needed and drilled a couple of holes in the end. I then glued some off-cuts of steel rods in them which strengthen the fin. I then after much measuring drilled a couple of holes in the body, I had previously glued some wood inside for this very purpose. I used two part epoxy for this which I never fail to get absolutely every where. I had to hold the fins in place until set so I could get the correct angle.
The trouble with the fins now in place is it makes it much more difficult to work on the model when moving it around.
Later when they are completely set I'll fill the gaps and well you know the rest.

Attachments

• DSCF6428.JPG
    DSCF6428.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF6435.JPG
    DSCF6435.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF6440.JPG
    DSCF6440.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF6448.JPG
    DSCF6448.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF6450.JPG
    DSCF6450.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 39
Sting in the tail.....

Sound work indeed Malcolm. Good luck with all that handling now the fins are on - careful now! Many thanks for keeping us entertained and informed in equal measure, and here's to a fantastic finished model in 2017.

Best wishes for the Festive Season,

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Its been about a month since my last update though I have to say I didn't do too much over this period. I only spent a few minutes here and there as it was far too cold to get involved.
I decided to revisit the landing skids or to be more precise the area where the 'hydraulic' legs meet the skids where there is a raised section much like a squashed dome.
Looking at my 'bits box' I found some Action Man (GI Joe) plastic air tanks. I cut off the curved ends, drilled an elongated hole so it would slide down the angled leg.
However after doing this they looked too high and not wide enough so I covered the domes in filler, sanded down, sprayed (I used Plasticote Silver to match the legs)
I won't glue them in place yet in case I have to spray them a different colour.

Attachments

• DSCF6507.JPG
    DSCF6507.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF6473.JPG
    DSCF6473.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF6469.JPG
    DSCF6469.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF6468.JPG
    DSCF6468.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF6461.JPG
    DSCF6461.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 20
But you'd never know......

All that attention to detail will pay off in the long run, Malcolm. Interesting to see how you've adapted the original shape.

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
The cabin on this kit is made from fibreglass and although it doesn't have windows they are outlined so you can have a choice of windows or not.
I decided I would have windows so I sanded down the inside of the cabin to thin down the sides so there wouldn't be too thick a frame.
I pencilled in the outlines and cut them out with a mini drill. using small files and disposable nail files I fine tuned them.
After doing this I realised there was little area to fix any windows in place so using my mini drill I ground down along the top and bottom of the windows hopefully creating a ridge for gluing. Whether this will work only time will tell.
During all this I kept on breaking the narrow frame areas so I was constantly repairing them.
After loads of sanding and spraying its beginning to get there, though later I will use filler sprayer to get a fine a surface as possible.

Attachments

• DSCF6522.JPG
    DSCF6522.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF6524.JPG
    DSCF6524.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF6531.JPG
    DSCF6531.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF6532.JPG
    DSCF6532.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF6534.JPG
    DSCF6534.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 32
Cut it out, Malcolm!!

I guess Photo 4 shows why it was all worth it, but you must have thought about chucking it a few times!! Just as well you're adept at repair work - it's not as though you have a few of the top sections to play about with before you make the cuts. Are you intending to furnish the interior and spray it grey? I seem to recall you did this with Fireball Jnr.

Great picture of the progress to date, showing off all those beautiful curves....

Kindest regards

Patrick