Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

My Superon Tanker

The difference is clear.....

No problem Malcolm, we'll see the finished windshield in all its glory when you post more pictures. Of equal interest is the explanation of how you achieved it - that's often as revealing as the photographs. One of your previous posts showed a can of filler primer, courtesy of a certain retail outlet - I'll need to go and investigate some time. It's very interesting seeing what's on people's workbenches!

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Patrick

Halfords are very useful to modellers as they have such a wide range of colours available, in fact too many at times as I've gone into a store to buy paint and walked out again as I couldn't decide which shade of colour would be right. There are a lot of similar colours and if you go by the can's lid they all look the same, its only when you get it home and do a test spray you realise how different it actually is.
The only non Halfords colour I use is Plasticote Silver as to me anyway it provides a great looking silver finish. I generally use the small spray cans of this colour code: Silver 109s. When you first spray this on it looks rubbish but always dries to a nice even finish & colour.
Every modeller has their favourites so its a matter of trial and error to please yourself.
The filler primer spray you saw in my photo is great for smoothing out and filling very small marks etc on surfaces. Once sprayed on leave it to really dry ( I prefer using thin coats) then sand and repeat the process till your satisfied or fed up.

all the best
malcolm

Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Its now the time I always dread in modelling - the final painting.
The first section to be painted will be the tanks as they are relatively small and separate from the main body.
After giving them a final check I cleaned the surfaces using a tack cloth which picks up all dust etc and is an essential piece of kit I use on all my models and house painting, I wouldn't dream of painting anything without using it.
The colour as recommended is Halfords Ford Carnival Red which is the same colour I used on my Elevator Car.
I first sprayed the tanks cradle then the tanks themselves, I supported them by sticking a metal rod into the hole at the end made for the hoses.
Once they were all dry I fitted the tanks onto their cradle (no glue used) and started to fit the pipework. Originally I had used brass rods for the pipes but to save painting I replaced them with silver alloy rods. It was just a matter of bending carefully and pushing them into the appropriate holes.
The pipe at the rear which joins both tanks I gave a slight bend in the middle as that seemed to exist on the original. The 'T' junction at the rear was a piece of meccanno which I painted silver to blend in, using this bit of meccanno seemed to be the easiest way of creating a junction like this. Again no glue was used, I then fitted the finished parts onto the model to see what it looked like?
The colour may look bright in these photos but it still has to be dirtied down somewhat.
As you can also see in the final photo I've started to mark the positions of the rails etc.

Attachments

• DSCF3969.JPG
    DSCF3969.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF3971.JPG
    DSCF3971.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF3974.JPG
    DSCF3974.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF3976.JPG
    DSCF3976.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF3977.JPG
    DSCF3977.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Top quality.....

....that second picture, the finish looks flawless. The pictures of the tanks on the vehicle are an indication of just how good this will look in its entirety. And thanks very much for the mini tutorial on all the different products available at all good car accessory retail outlets - definite food for thought! Looking forward to seeing the tanker exit the paintshop.....

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
When the final painting starts I always find the end is nearly here, however I had to redo one or two areas on the body as there were some defects. With those out of the way I decided to fit the hand rails etc before painting. These were made from brass rod I had lying around and simply bent, drilled and glued in place.
After one final check and a thorough wipe with a tack rag it was time for painting. I raised the model up so nothing was touching and took a deep breath as this is where things start to go wrong - fly/dust lands on paint or I over spray a fraction and it runs - but I was lucky as everything went OK.
The paint was Ford Carnival Red again. The paint finish turned out quiet well so it will be a shame when I have to dirty it down, the model in the episode appears particularly dirty which I like. The colour is not that bright in real life only in the photos.

Attachments

• DSCF3993.JPG
    DSCF3993.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF3988.JPG
    DSCF3988.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF3987.JPG
    DSCF3987.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF3984.JPG
    DSCF3984.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF3980.JPG
    DSCF3980.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Gorgeous......

....as we all knew it would be. Judging by the photographs, a beautifully smooth and flawless finish Malcolm. I suspect the vibrant colour has something to do with it as well, but you've made such a good job of this vehicle - and get that windshield fitted!

More pictures soon please,

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
With most of the painting complete I fitted the wheels in place, perhaps one day when I can get my head round it I'll make the front ones steer as it would look better even if the model spends its life on a shelf.
The paint finish turned out pretty good so its a shame I have to dirty it up, the original in the episode always seemed to me to be very dirty so that was the look I wanted. I still haven't replaced my air brush so I used some black powder paint and rubbed it in using my finger and a paint brush, then blew away the excess and rubbed it off and in to create the dirty look. The model is quite dirty more than shown in the photos.
To create the steps up to the cab I decided not to drill holes in the mdf as it would be difficult to get a clean look so I decided to cheat and paint them on.
To achieve this I used a hole punch and punched holes in a piece of plastic card in the required positions them filed the bottom edge flat using a small modelling file. The next stage was to tape this to the side of the model, mask off everything else and spray matt black over it. When removed I had the shape of foot holds in the side.
The rear lights were created using a chrome screw washer with a spherical red map pin cut down and glued in place.
And I still haven't fitted the windscreen block.

Attachments

• DSCF4018.JPG
    DSCF4018.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF4011.JPG
    DSCF4011.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF4010.JPG
    DSCF4010.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF4008.JPG
    DSCF4008.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF3995.JPG
    DSCF3995.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 27
Looking better and better....

...with every photograph. I liked your idea and the solution for the footholes - there could easily be a black rubber flap or black bristles over each foothole, so that they appear solid but in reality the driver's foots pushes through each one. Nothing wrong with a bit'o'dirt either.

This vehicle has a really heavy, used look about it - possibly because the wheels and tyres aren't overly large in relation to the body - giving the impression of a heavily-laden, hard-worked delivery truck. One of the enduring attractions of Anderson's programmes was that a lot of the machinery wasn't new and shiny - you'd hear engines straining, grinding noises and so on. I think you're capturing that feel perfectly......

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Its time to stick on the yellow go faster stripes down each side, these were simply self adhesive vinyl car stickers 3mm wide. All I had to do was point the ends a bit and that was that.
On the roof of the cab there are two rear facing lights which I made from plastic ball valve seating washers e.g. cone shaped washers. I then fitted a screw washer on the front and the end piece of a wall/map pin, a quick spray of silver and I have a couple of lights. To fit them to the cab I drilled a hole in the lights and cab roof and used a brass rod to fit into each hole.
In that same photo you can see the two holes I use to push out the perspex window block, these holes will be covered with a bit of detail.
At the front of the cab on the roof I decided to fit two horns as there is something there on the original and I believe you can hear the horns in the episode, they were from a model boat company and made from aluminium.
Just underneath the horns there is another bit of detail, for this I used a chrome part from an AMT Silhouette car kit.
I masked off the recess at the front and the rest of the model and sprayed that area matt black.
For the front 'radiator' area I again used four screw washers with plastic card behind them, for the radiator thingy I used a plastic loo seat bolt cut down the middle length ways and then sanded to reduce the size a bit. All these bits are glued onto a piece of plasticard sprayed matt black which will be fitted in place with double sided tape.
As you can see I have started the weathering process, as I don't currently have an air brush I'm just using black powder paint, rubbed, brushed and wiped on and off.

Attachments

• DSCF4022.JPG
    DSCF4022.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF4024.JPG
    DSCF4024.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF4025.JPG
    DSCF4025.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF4026.JPG
    DSCF4026.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF4034.JPG
    DSCF4034.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Brilliant, just brilliant......

.....although I'm a user of found objects myself, I would never, never, never have thought of cutting a loo seat bolt longtitudinally!! The tanker's absolutely beautiful and, as I've already posted on Fireball's thread, the people who originally built and filmed this vehicle would be touched to see its rebirth in the present day.

Well done Malcolm - here's to the moment we see the final photographs.

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Its now the last leg of this build.
The pipework was put in place dry fitted no glue used as like the rest of the tank section I want it to be removable if needed. The fuel hoses were also fitted and were created from electrical wire from Maplins, I pulled out the internal wires leaving a nice hose effect. The hose just pushes into the various holes again no glue. For the connections at the end of the hoses which screw into the Crablogger I used those very small fine spray nozzles for gardens, I cut most of it off and was left with a connection like bit, after spraying it silver I drilled a hole in the end and pushed in the hose.
I made a number plate for the front by using my dymo label maker on yellow tape which I stuck onto a piece of black painted plasticard and then used double sided tape to fix it under the radiator.
The next thing were the side mirrors, I cut a rectangular piece of plasticard and bent some fine brass rod into a basic 'U' shape and glued it on the back.
Once dry I sprayed it the same colour as the body then stuck on some chrome tape to represent a mirror. Once the perspex window was in place I drilled two small holes into the perspex and just pushed the mirrors into place.
Finally I cut out six small rectangles from plasticard, sprayed them silver and stuck three on each side of the cab.
As you can see I have finally fitted the block of perspex windows. During the final painting I had to keep fine tuning both window space and the perspex so they would fit easy enough. Again no glue was used as it was a tight fit and certainly will never fall out.
The one final thing to add is the lettering on the side of the tanks. This was Euro Style bold extended the same as that used in UFO. I had this made by my local graphics company who are a godsend.
That is that unless I've forgotten something. This model is one of my favourite builds as it turned out better than I thought and it looks really interesting.
Oops I have forgotten something. The perspex window block needed a couple of window frames on either side where the doors are supposed to be, for this I cut a couple of plastic strips, bevelled the ends so they would butt up against the top & bottom of the window area, sprayed them and just glued them directly onto the perspex. I used this method in case I need to remove the window block at sometime and so I can just push the block out without being concerned about breaking these bits, does that make sense?

Attachments

• DSCF4046.JPG
    DSCF4046.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF4044.JPG
    DSCF4044.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF4040.JPG
    DSCF4040.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF4042.JPG
    DSCF4042.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF4049.JPG
    DSCF4049.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Some more build photos of the lettering.

Attachments

• DSCF4062.JPG
    DSCF4062.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF4063.JPG
    DSCF4063.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF4064.JPG
    DSCF4064.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 21

badsimmonds

Alphans
Here are the final photos, I take absolutely loads of photos during my builds though sometimes I do forget to take some.
I hope you enjoyed this build as much as I did building it.
Many thanks for all your kind comments.

Attachments

• DSCF4076.JPG
    DSCF4076.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF4070.JPG
    DSCF4070.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF4068.JPG
    DSCF4068.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF4067.JPG
    DSCF4067.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF4065.JPG
    DSCF4065.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 31

badsimmonds

Alphans
Here are some more. I've enclosed one of the hydraulic arm extended, there are no fuel hoses in this shot as they are cut to size for when the arm is folded.
For those who are interested the length of this model is 24".
Thanks everyone
Malcolm

Attachments

• DSCF4099.JPG
    DSCF4099.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF4098.JPG
    DSCF4098.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF4094.JPG
    DSCF4094.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF4093.JPG
    DSCF4093.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 17

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Now that is nice...!

It looks brilliant with the paint scheme finished, I would be happy to have that in my collection, every right to be proud Malcolm. :thumbup:

You're a talented man, Malcolm!

It's brilliant. You have created a wonderful model, and I've enjoyed every step of the way. First class.

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Thanks everyone for your kind comments.
I've really enjoyed this build more than others for some reason. I like working on the back ground guest vehicles in the shows as they can at times be just as interesting as the 'hero' vehicles.
I use no plans as such but I do take screen grabs and take measurements from them and just hope for the best.
I'm still posting Fireball Jnr but as soon as that's done (posting wise as the model has been finished for sometime) I'll start on my next project which is from Captain Scarlet though it will be a one off guest vehicle.
I've included some photos of my collection of projects from the past few years, the only thing that's missing is my full size genesis dalek as I couldn't be bothered to dismantle it etc in the time I had.
Thanks again for all your comments, I really mean that.

all the best
malcolm

Attachments

• DSCF4215.JPG
    DSCF4215.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF4216.JPG
    DSCF4216.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF4217.JPG
    DSCF4217.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN5271.jpg
    DSCN5271.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF4218.JPG
    DSCF4218.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 31

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Keep posting the details about your builds, leave nothing out, I want to see every nut and bolt please. What you are doing is exactly why the forum exists, to learn, to share and to inspire others. I am certain everyone would agree you have hit those mark with excellence. I look forward to seeing new posts following your work.

I have thought about the modelling of lesser well known vehicles and will try my hand at a jet mobile with Steve Zodiac figure as soon as I can decide which superhero figure will make a good donor, better yet I might make that a new competition, I'll give it more thought and decide.

See what I mean about inspiration....? :D