Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Nav light thought

eagle3

Alphans
Hello all,

I know in the original series the eagles other than cockpit lighting had no other lights anywhere on the craft. and got to thinking. if these craft were flaying around earth as planes do today, and even into space. should they have had floods and flashing beacon lights? I know the Star Trek movie miniatures included flashing beacon lights and floods. and looking at the Eagle I could see where a flashing beacon on the top of the spine, or on the four landing pods would be kinda cool. hell even if just a flashing beacon on the command pod. and how about small floods shining from the landing pods onto the alpha moonbase logos on the sides of the transporter pods would also be kinda cool. just a thought what do you guys think?

Regards,
Chris

swhite40

Alphans
Interesting question.

Most manned spacecraft have some sort of running lights, a lot of unmanned craft as well.

It would seem that navigation lights would be standard for the Eagle.

Transporter

Alphans
There were some flood lights, unfortunately only shown in the episode "Ring around the moon"

But some navigation or beacon lights would certainly look cool. I think it made it just a lot easier to film without those lights, hence we only saw them on "Ring around the Moon".

I think such lights would be a good idea.

If flying in the shadow of earth or moon, especially, they would be useful. OK, instruments such as radar or radio transponders could show up an unseen craft but seeing things unaided is no bad thing, especially for docking or joint operational manoeuvring such as flying in formation.

Logically, to be useful the lights should be located at extremities of the Eagle (defining limits of safe approach and giving some hint of distance) and also coloured differently or with different states (steady or blink sequence) at different hull positions, in a way that indicates ship orientation (and thus likely direction of motion).
This is more complicated in interplanetary space than for aircraft which have a clear up and down!

Steve Gerard

Alphans
There were some flood lights, unfortunately only shown in the episode "Ring around the moon"

But some navigation or beacon lights would certainly look cool. I think it made it just a lot easier to film without those lights, hence we only saw them on "Ring around the Moon".

Agree.:thumbup: It would have looked cool in every episode. Even a flashing navigational beacon like we saw on the Refit Enterprise in the Kirk era Star Trek movies.

headcase

Alphans
I've thought a lot about this, too. The Apollo Lunar Module (LM) and Command/Service Module (CSM) had nav lights on them, but the Space Shuttle didn't. On Apollo, they used a similar system as is used on military aircraft, with green on one side and red on another, as well as a flashing locator light on the LM. I thought the landing leg pods would be a perfect place for them, either on the tops or on the outward-facing sides.

eagle3

Alphans
I was thinking a flashing nav light on top rear of the cm. as this is where the pilots sit and could be ripped away in a crash it would act as the locating beacon's that they mention. also another flasher maybe in red on top of the transporter pod that would act like it's emergency beacon as well? As for the floods. I was thinking. four small floods shining on the alpha moonbase markings. and possibly for dark side landing floods on the front of the landing pods that would shine ahead for a a lighted landing.

Tony_L

Alphans
Nav lights : Green, forward facing lights on each starboard leg/fuel pod and red, forward facing lights on each port leg/fuel pod. Rotating/strobing red beacon positioned centrally on the underside of the passenger module. Single white light positioned centrally on the aft-most part of the spine.
Landing lights : Single white light positioned centrally under the CM, one white light per leg/fuel pod. Optional floods under the passenger module.
Auxiliary lights : Anywhere it'd look cool, especially where it'd be good to light a Moonbase Alpha logo.

My two penneth.

Nav lights : Green, forward facing lights on each starboard leg/fuel pod and red, forward facing lights on each port leg/fuel pod. Rotating/strobing red beacon positioned centrally on the underside of the passenger module. Single white light positioned centrally on the aft-most part of the spine.
Landing lights : Single white light positioned centrally under the CM, one white light per leg/fuel pod. Optional floods under the passenger module.
Auxiliary lights : Anywhere it'd look cool, especially where it'd be good to light a Moonbase Alpha logo.

My two penneth.

IMHO, your thoughts are worth considerably more than 2 pence! :)

eagle3

Alphans
picked up a small red flasher led today and stuck it under the passenger pod. I will admit it was cool

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Lighting It Up (Safely)...

:think: I should think this would certainly be an issue on Terra Alpha, as they're apt to be rewriting the Eagles' mission regs by then anyway...

:idea: Perhaps something along the lines of red (port) and green (starboard) running lights, some sort of floodlights on the underside - to brighten up a descending Eagle's unknown landing site - and something in the way of landing lights (be nice if they blinked!). Landing-platform lighting scheme could also undergo some changes, as the local conditions may warrant...