Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

New Captain Scarlet

mike s

Alphans
I've had a good look and I can't find any threads devoted to chatting about New Captain Scarlet

so - what did you chaps all think of it..?

I thought it excelled in some areas and dramatically failed in others

anyone interested in chewing it over..?

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
I've had a good look and I can't find any threads devoted to chatting about New Captain Scarlet

so - what did you chaps all think of it..?

I thought it excelled in some areas and dramatically failed in others

anyone interested in chewing it over..?

Can't say I have even watched an episode. I have little interest in it as there were no real models, and I don't like the designs of the new vehicles.

mike s

Alphans
cheers for the input Slate - FWIW here's what I thought did/didn't work:

worked:

1 - some of the action scenes were stunning ie the one where Scarlet crashes the helicopter onto the nuclear plant

2 - sets/locations - some were a bit sparse but when they had the time they did some great interiors and cityscapes etc on a much bigger scale than the original could ever attempt

3 - some lovely lighting and cinematography

didn't work:

1 - nondescript credits and not using the original theme - a catastrophic error of judgement, going from one of the most iconic opening/closing sequences ever to library material, a truly perplexing decision based most likely on money I presume

2 - character faces and voices - the original puppet sculpts are in a different class, and the voices are far more distinctive - Scarlet himself should have been identical to the original, no excuses, and I think they should have used a mimic to do his voice (which is what they should do when it eventually gets remade again)

3 - vehicles - should have updated the originals, however all-new stuff was designed for marketing reasons

a few thoughts there - I think the next remake should be a mix of models and CGI and get the character faces just right, its very important

Ham Salad

Alphans
cheers for the input Slate - FWIW here's what I thought did/didn't work:

worked:

1 - some of the action scenes were stunning ie the one where Scarlet crashes the helicopter onto the nuclear plant

2 - sets/locations - some were a bit sparse but when they had the time they did some great interiors and cityscapes etc on a much bigger scale than the original could ever attempt

3 - some lovely lighting and cinematography

didn't work:

1 - nondescript credits and not using the original theme - a catastrophic error of judgement, going from one of the most iconic opening/closing sequences ever to library material, a truly perplexing decision based most likely on money I presume

2 - character faces and voices - the original puppet sculpts are in a different class, and the voices are far more distinctive - Scarlet himself should have been identical to the original, no excuses, and I think they should have used a mimic to do his voice (which is what they should do when it eventually gets remade again)

3 - vehicles - should have updated the originals, however all-new stuff was designed for marketing reasons

a few thoughts there - I think the next remake should be a mix of models and CGI and get the character faces just right, its very important

Pretty much what I thought...although I did notice that thy tries to do the virtual model photography to look like the original, and threw in some neat references to the world of the original, like the '60s era cars in the BG. Really agree on the music, it sounds generic and tepid compared to the original.

mike s

Alphans
Hi Ham - yeah I would have used the first version with the descending riff, not the song - actually I would combine the 2 and have the original as is, but with the lyrics on the middle 8 'they crash him...' etc, I reckon that would work really well

Pretty much what I thought...although I did notice that thy tries to do the virtual model photography to look like the original, and threw in some neat references to the world of the original, like the '60s era cars in the BG. Really agree on the music, it sounds generic and tepid compared to the original.

shadokp

Alphans
I think I am in the minority in that I loved most everything about The New Captain Scarlet. I thought the vehicle designs were incredible and right on par with the best of the best of all of Gerry's work. I know that it being CG turned off many many fans who fell in love with models and the puppets of other series. I thought the CG was as spectacular as the models were in the other shows. At times we all saw the wires and at times we saw problems with some of the CG (missing shadows and lack of tire tracks, etc).

The character animation was excellent. Due to money constraints they elected to not go with realistic hair (that is why most everyone had short hair or while many extras were bald). Some of the faces were not so good (Who are we to criticize faces while we all were sold on puppets!!). The movement of the people (motion capture) was superb.

I still think much of the series animation is better than Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

The stories were as good as the original Captain Scarlet and (I know I will get ripped into for this) I though the characters (as depicted on the screen) were as developed if not more than the original (as depicted on the screen, not the annuals and books and fan fiction). :yes:

I understand that most everyone grew up with Captain Scarlet and so will defend that series forever. It is also one of my favorites but I thought New Captain Scarlet was as good as it was in 2005 as the original was in the 60's. It was week after week better written than Doctor Who IMHO.

Sure, there are problems but not enough to warrant how it was treated in release (and is still treated) and not enough to prevent anyone from not watching it who is a fan of Gerry Anderson. I felt very bad that this show did not do well for Gerry and I hope someday it will get a second life.

There is a forum that discusses all things Captain Scarlet and there is a New Captain Scarlet area but I don't know how active it is.

http://spectrum-headquarters.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php

Transporter

Alphans
Well, then we are already three in the minority :D. I really love NCS. I nearly liked all the vehicles (except the chopper which looked too fat to me). There is no reason not to like virtual vehicles of a show - nobody has anything against it, if you build physical models of them! If somebody builds a 44" Eagle model after the original Eagle one, it always will remain a replica, a copy, and not the original Eagle one because this does only exist once... (fortunately, and also thanks to David Sisson it still does exist!)
The longer the NCS show was produced, the better the animation became. The stories all were written well and the relationship between CS, Destiny and CB was conceived much better than in the original puppet series.
All I really hated on this show, was that it had only so few episodes.
What really had happened to nearly destroy its success can be heard here, when Gerry was interviewed by Ian Fryer at Fanderson's convention TV21 on 23rd October 2010, at the hotel Ramada Bristol City.

In this first part, Gerry Anderson discusses 'New Captain Scarlet' and its possible future.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGhNakDV-gY[/ame]

mike s

Alphans
yeah it was butchered by being put on MOM - there must be a reason why it was trashed that way, presumably political..?

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
I heard that ITV wanted the original music but Gerry refused and there was a bit of a falling out..

I kind of like the show, and I like the vehicles. But Gerry's shows have often been action-based and revolve around the simple act of something, or many things exploding. But with cgi this element is totally uninteresting and unexciting, so the big action or chase scenes just end with a damp cgi cartoon squib everytime, that simply fails to thrill in any way.

mike s

Alphans
yeah I heard ITV asked for the original music at the last minute and it would have cost £400, 000 so Gerry said no...

...however I find this hard to believe: they never thought about it till ITV mentioned it..? and decided it would be good to use stock footage for the credits for artistic reasons..?

techno

Alphans
I've seen the New Captain Scarlet on Youtube,it's Pretty Cool. but i think the Original is still the Best! But also,with the New captain scarlet,the Episodes Still Capture the Feel of the Original. Dan

Jonathan E

Alphans
I agree pretty much with Mike, a really well made series let down by poor music and opening/closing credits! :thumbdown:

Transporter

Alphans
It certainly did not "fail" because of the music. I also think, that the original Captain Scarlet music was so very sixties, where as the new theme (ok, I admit, one has to get used to it...) was far more modern and therefore fitted the NCS series better - in my opinion.

SteveDix

Alphans
I've seen it, and I liked it. It certainly didn't deserve it's fate of being largely ignored by TV.

My main gripe was with the CGI, but they were obviously pushing the envelope. As to it being "New", the pilot version, with original Scarlett/Blue and Black (with Francis Matthews and Ed Bishop) is on YouTube, and it shows Gerry had a point in updating everything.

mike s

Alphans
I liked it but it missed in characterization: scarlet looked and sounded quite generic whereas he had a very distinct face and voice in the original - as did all the characters, the Andersons were brilliant at selecting voice artistes

mike s

Alphans
and the weak credits sequences were a major blow against it as they followed some of the strongest ever done

Transporter

Alphans
Credits? Ok, but like you mentionned, they had really hard to beat original series role models.

I think that the new Captain Scarlet had two different faces. I did not really like his first one (when the series started and in the opening credits) but when the series evolved, so did Captain Scarlets face. The CGI was improved, and so were the characters.
We always tend to see stuff from our childhood point of view, everything was bigger, better, etc., etc.. Looking at the original series today and trying to forget the love for this show we grew in, there are many, many flaws too. But at it's time it was the best show in it's cathegory. But NCS was that too.

ChrisofEDF

Alphans
Personally I like NCS, it has a bit of a shaky start but gets really good and at times almost brilliant. I do enjoy Crispin Merrels music as well. I listen to it quite a bit on his website.

At the end of the day its different enough from the original to stand on its own.

What I don't like is the way Mysterons where handled. They try to develop them over the course of the series which gives some of the mystery away. They're also really cheesy at times ("I'll give you green stuff"). It somehow made the crippling flaw in the originals premise even worse. If they're so evil and have unlimited power then why make overly selective and complicated plans?

As for the MOM fiasco, I can kind of empathise with ITV a bit as NCS is radically different to anything they where showing at the time. Logically it should have been shown in an after school slot (and it eventually did on CITV). The decision to give it to MOM would have made reasonable sense as it was very successful at the time but then evidently MOM didn't know what to do with it, so cut it in half etc. I think they realised that mistake though and by series 2 they had a definite time and just the commercial break, but by then the damage had been done.

THe request to change the title music makes sense as it would have lightened the tone slightly and been more distinctive to market.

mike s

Alphans
the theme music thing was def a political/money thing

also the end credits were crying out for re-dos of the Embleton pics/situations in a modern style

some of NCS was brilliant but there was no excuse for not getting his face right from the start: the puppet faces from the 60s were exquisitely well done and a big part of the draw