Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

KevinD

Alphans
I'm currently having a go at making the Cybermat that is supposed to be making its appearance in the second half of the new season. I am basing it on the one picture that seems to be everywhere on the internet, (a frame grab from a videoclip). Does anybody have any other images of this prop?

Exterminator

Deputy Commander
Staff member
Hi Kevin,

I'm a big fan of your work, so I hope this helps you out.

It's rather unfortunate that in all of the available images/footage the Cybermat is being pointed away from the camera, and it's impossible to see any detail of the front ... however, I managed to find a frame or two that shows the front of the head - note that the front end of the head is not just a bullet shape, there is a sort of "step" up to where the eyes are!

I look forward to seeing the completed beastie!! :thumbup:

Phil

Attachments

• Cybermat-detail.JPG
    Cybermat-detail.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 40

KevinD

Alphans
Hi there,

Thanks for those kind words, I really appreciate that. I think your stuff is awesome!

Also thanks for the very useful observation. I've done the tail but the head is trickier!:(

Last edited:

Exterminator

Deputy Commander
Staff member
My "Dawn Of The Gods" Herder has got an R/C car built into it - race you!!! :lol:

Last edited:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
The original design Cybermat used to freak the life outta me....

Just like the royal wedding it had me cringing behind a cushion (our sofa was against the wall).

Terrific stuff. :thumbup:

KevinD

Alphans
Here is the tail. I've still got a lot to do on the head, which is the bit that contains the radio controlled toy car.

KevinD

Alphans
Now the tricky part. The head has a R/C toy car in it and now I'm trying to get the 'face' on it by blocking it out in balsa. Perhaps not too surprisingly, it looks like the faceplate of the new Cybermen heads.

KevinD

Alphans
Been building up the profile with milliput. Nearly there, not quite right yet. Trouble is, nomatter how I try, this cyber-killer still looks cute:-/

KevinD

Alphans
Well, I've finished the little fellah. Can't say how accurate he is, but he looks happy enough:D

Don't actually know if this picture should be here or in the 'Dragon's Domain' section :think::think:

KevinD

Alphans
Here is the Cybermat in action with the Hyde Fundraisers at the Lowry Outlet Mall in Salford.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SWal20kzBg[/ame]

KevinD

Alphans
Now that the episode has aired, there is a lot more detail available about the Cybermat so I have decided to totally rebuild mine. I have taken it to bits and started with the tail. It is not circular in cross section as I'd first thought, so I have cut each segment down the middle lengthways and added a plasticard strip. I have put each section back together but only bolted them underneath (they are bolted to keep the tail flexible), as there are no bolts visible on top I now know.

clanger68

Alphans
Looks great Kevin, love the video-seems like a zippy little fellow.

How did he go down with the public?

Karyn has a soft spot for all things Cybermat!

So if we manage to get back up to see you sometime keep an eye on her!!!:lol:

- cheers,

Andy

KevinD

Alphans
Thanks Andy :) The Cybermat was a bit of a surprise for the public because the episode hadn't aired at the time.

He is very zippy but you only get 7 minutes of drive out of one charged battery :(

The problem was there was almost no reference material available at the time. Now I know that the head is much shorter than I made it on mine. I am trying to squeeze the guts of a toy car into it and they don't want to fit!

Last edited:

Exterminator

Deputy Commander
Staff member
Hi Kev,

I saw these in my local Tesco, and I thought of you!! :D

Nice to see you beat the toy manufacturers!! :thumbup:

Phil

Attachments

• IMG_1937.jpg
    IMG_1937.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1938.jpg
    IMG_1938.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 20

KevinD

Alphans
Brilliant! I beat the series too, my cybermat appeared at a Hyde Fundraiser event before 'Closing Time' aired!:D

KevinD

Alphans
Have covered the drive mechanism in a mixture of plasticard and milliput. I have also cobbled together his impressive dentition. This thing is too small to get a full r/c mechanism in it, consequently, he will do forward and reverse but any other steering is out, he's going where he wants and quite quickly too :O