Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

New Doctor Who: The Matt Smith Era

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Until next week....

After watching the first episode of the new series I am very much looking forward to the second.

I liked River's Tardis diary, but why no iPad? The Dr writing things down with paper and pencil I understand, he does have this rebellious retro anti technology streak in him so that's plausible I guess....

I also noticed the fact that this story was a joint co production with BBC America, perhaps a sign of things to come?

There were further hints that the Tardis was an independent living creature/presence/sentience rather than just a collection of artefacts, Eye of Time connected to the Heart of the Tardis with a Temporal Transference Matrix with cloaking/chameleon options. I would love to explore the symbiotic relationship between Timelord and Tardis more.

Timer set for next week, popcorn added to shopping list and three anxious children all debating the storyline, we can't wait.....

steve36uk

Alphans
Well I thought it was the best of the Moffs reign so far-ok the monsters are another take on the weeping angels and the little girl in the space suit echoes "Silence in the Library" and "The Empty Child"-but hey- just how much exposition can you stuff into one hour of a tea time kid's show!!!
Oh and Romo Lampkin works for the US govt:thumbup:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Did you see??

I enjoyed this weeks Dr. Who "The Doctor's Wife", I loved the concept that TARDIS was an entity. Very clever to involve the junkyard and "House" The story idea was so good I am sure there is room to expand this idea again....

Matt is really in his stride with the Doctor's character now, it's a joy to watch him, his timing is excellent. :D

Cap'n

ALPHA ONE

Alphans
Doctor Who Finished when Tom Baker Left! With the exception of the Odd Peter Davidson Episode like "Earthshock" what followed was Bland Pc Crap!

DR WHO has degenerated into a Soap-Opera where the so called Companions take Centre Stage.:(:cry:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Tremendous....

Funnily enough I thought this last episode of the season was terriffic, the back story for River Song was amazing. It one of the best examples of a seeded story arc I have ever seen. I really liked the script touching on the fact that the Doctor has become his own worst enemy, his awesome reputation working against him. His enemies had best watch out because he is unstoppable, he is righteous, he is THE DOCTOR....! So what happens if he is wrong, or loses his temper and makes a mistake? Would you want to cross him?

Personally I can't wait to see the next episode.

Interestingly I also think the production value of the show is getting better and better, costumes, first rate, make up ditto. Scenery and sets top class, the whole show has a very high production value aura, best of all it's British (even though it's made in Wales mostly...) !

Tom baker, no it's not him, Peter Davidson, not him either. Part of the point of an ageless time traveller is change, sometimes it's welcome and sometimes it's not. I just love the fact they are taking these issues head on and adding depth and dimension to the character and a modern slant on this Doctor's issues.

ALPHA ONE

Alphans
I'll say this Captain, Matt Smith is an improvement on the previous Muppets!

With Christopher Ecclestone & David Tennant I though that Dr Who was being produced by The Henson Studios!:lol::lol::thumbdown:

fab1

Alphans
I agree with the Captain! Very entertaining, love the human side of the Doctor!
As long as they dont bring back the post modernistic crappy looking daleks I will be happy..

G

healvis

Alphans
To change the subject a little, I have read that the Daleks are being given a rest from the series. The reason being. (and this is the greatest excuse in television history by the way) "They aren’t going to make an appearance for a while. We thought it was about time to give them a rest. There’s a problem with the Daleks. I thought they were invincible. They are the most famous of the Doctor’s adversaries and the most frequent, which means they are the most reliably defeatable enemies in the universe.” I can't believe that Steven Moffat in effect is saying that the Daleks are being dropped because they keep losing. The writer is blaming the Daleks for appearing too much & not winning against the doctor. :wtf:

ALPHA ONE

Alphans
Yep! The Doctor is O.k. but The Scripts aren't and Don't Get Me Started on The New Daleks! More Like Old Teletubbies! Alltogether Now... Uh Oh!:wtf::p

And What's with The Camp Cybermen?:lol:

scatta

Alphans
Stephen Moffets scripts are alway good - that last story (the half season finale) was far better than anything that even Hollywood is churning out. And it also had a nod to Thunderbirds with the 'I won't be needing you any further tonight, Parker", followed by "Yus m'Lady" in true Parker accent !

ALPHA ONE

Alphans
Stephen Moffets scripts are alway good - that last story (the half season finale) was far better than anything that even Hollywood is churning out. And it also had a nod to Thunderbirds with the 'I won't be needing you any further tonight, Parker", followed by "Yus m'Lady" in true Parker accent !
:think::no::thumbdown:

You are Kidding Right? And as for The Hollywood Thing That Really Would'nt be Difficult!

gundaRn

Alphans
As much as I am enjoying the current Doctor Who, and I believe Steven Moffat is a far superior writer to Russell T Davies, the only problem is the whole Amy/Rory/Doctor thing. It is far too distracting, and to be honest, the longer it goes on, the less I like Amy and Rory.
One other point is that it's probably getting a bit too complex for kids. My eight year old is still enjoying it, but he admits it is a lot harder to follow than it used to be. I'm all for the extended threads running through the episodes, but I think each individual story needs to have a more definitive ending in order to keep the younger viewers satisfied. I don't think the BBC would be happy if the younger viewers who buy all the toys (well, I buy them for my sons) felt alienated by the series.

Matt Smith is probably the best "Doctor" since Tom Baker: scary, eccentric and believable; he has a lot of character and Smith does it justice. He's probably not the same housewives choice that David Tennant was; but that suits me fine.

Always enjoy Doctor Who though and am looking forward to its return.

pjskeldon

Alphans
Well I seem to be in a minority of one here.
(spoilers ahead if you haven’t seen the last episode)

I just can’t find Matt Smith anything other than irritating. Not eccentric, not funny, just mad. I wouldn’t trust him to sit the right way on a toilet (apologies to Rowan Atkinson). I can appreciate that Doctor Who isn’t high drama, but there seem to be no pauses; no spaces for subtler emotions and dialogue. The speaking rarely lets up and the three main characters seem capable only of a small range of acting – scream, scowl, run, abundant sarcasm, etc. This is Doctor Who as performed by a pantomime troupe.

The plot doesn’t make sense in so many ways and, while I gave them some latitude to develop a story arc, they seem to be clocking up more questions than they (eventually) answer.

My biggest problem at the moment – if the baby, and hence child we saw in the first two episodes is River Song, why doesn’t she remember being in the NASA suit, etc. Maybe they’ll answer this (and the 100 other annoying plot holes) before the end of the season. Frankly I don’t care anymore. Russell T Davis’ scripts may have been less frenetic than Stephen Moffat’s but this ‘energy’ seems to be just a convenience to stop the viewer from spotting the holes in the plot.

Referring to the current Radio Times interview, Stephen Moffat claims that he doesn’t write for any specific audience(child/adult) but as soon as the complexity of his plots are possibly criticised, he argues that the children don’t find anything wrong, so that must be OK. Well maybe the adults don’t switch their brains off quite as much as the children. Frankly the plot arc has become so contrived that, if the Doctor meets the King of the Potato People (apologies to Arnold Judas Rimmer) during the rest of this season, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

As for this being a ‘cliff-hanger’, I was somewhat underwhelmed. The Doctor runs away somewhere and tells River to get everyone home. Wow! Is that it? Not some dilemma that would be a matter of life or death, then. Who shot JR – now that was a cliffhanger. As was the closing scene of Blake’s 7.

Finally, regarding the Daleks, I always used to enjoy a Dalek story, but even these have become about as evil as Dick Dastardly. They are now simply a cartoon pastiche of what they used to be. Sad. Stephen can rest them as much as he likes.

Rant over, as is my enjoyment of Doctor Who.
:rant:

scatta

Alphans
You are Kidding Right?

Sorry, No! - I'm loving this series of the Doctor. I watch the episode, let it digest in my head, then a couple of days later, watch 'Confidential' where I pick up some extra tidbits I'd missed. Then watch the episode once more to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I agree with Bernie, the production values are way up there and yet they're restricted by the Beebs budget, but they're pulling off the believability in not just the totally off-world enviornments but in the historic time zones aswell. Besides 'Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome' I don't think there is any TV company producing 'off world' sci-fi anymore - in fact, I don't think any are doing 'sci-fi' full stop!

ALPHA ONE

Alphans
Matt Smith is a step up from from the previous "Crap!" incarnations of the Doctor i.e. The Dreadful Christopher Ecclestone and David Tennant's Doctor Who just Rushes around like a demented Four year old who's had too much Ribena & Red Smarties Gushing Things like... Corr! Wow, Amaizing!! All The Time in a vein attempt to excite the audience who by this time are reaching for the Sick Bag!:sick::sick:

The assistants were just as Crap as his Doctor and don't get Me started on Russell T Davies we'd be here All Day!!:rant::thumbdown:

At least Matt Smith looks Odd which is Great fot for the Role of The Doctor, Shades of Pat Troughton there I Think? and Amy is Nice Eye Candy too,:):yes:

However, The companions are there to assist The Doctor & the audience but not to take centre stage,:hmm:

I don't really think The whole "Story-Arc" Thing works either it's beginning to get a little Trite and Over-Used & The whole show is becoming Overly emotional & sentimental.:no:

Let see a return of some Style and Class like The Storys of Yester-year Please!!:hmm::D

Last edited:

cricket

Alphans
My, such strong words for a series whose trademark has become a variable lead actor. I thoroughly enjoyed Ecclestone and Tennant each in his own way, and Matt Smith is definitely an interesting twist on the theme.

As far as companions, I prefer the single-companion-at-a-time storylines as I find too many companions end up interacting with each other and not the Doctor. Eye-candy is optional. Give me an interesting companion any day.

ALPHA ONE

Alphans
DR WHO:The Matt Smith Era

Variable leads are fine but not Variable Quality!:no:

As for the interesting companions? Do you Mean like: Rory,Rose,Donna or Sad-Git, Oops! Sorry I mean Ad-drip?:roll::eek:

Last edited:

cricket

Alphans
In the new series I have enjoyed Martha and Donna (the latter quite to my surprise, I'll admit). My favorite all-time companion has to be the incomparable Sarah Jane.

Tim Smith

Alphans
I have mixed feelings on this one. I got so bored with the plastic people episode I almost gave up, but then someone hit the accelerator. A nice ending. I would really like to see more tie ins to the original run of the series...like finding Romana, or the back up control room being Peter Davidson's, that sort of thing. The much anticipated Dr. Who in America was also a mixed bag. It started out well with something like monument Valley and the desert areas of Utah. (By the way, anyone headed this way, do not miss the Southwest, it is amazing!) But then we get to a weirdly done Nixon, poor CGI representations of Kennedy Space Center (What, you can't find photos of the area in that time? A quick search on the internet will pull up hundreds of these. From Earth to the Moon used stills and animated movement into them. That would have looked better.), and why on Earth are we all of a sudden pushing the PC crapolla?

I must admit the Christmas Carol episode was excellent, and finally getting back to the Dr. Song mystery is a good thing. I like the idea of Dr. Who coming to America, but I think maybe American actors would be better suited to play roles like the president (Rich Little, where are you?), just as I prefer to see British actors play British roles, both because it comes across more genuinely.

And, as always, I have to go against the grain here, as I liked the last Dr. and his stories a lot better. But maybe Matt will grow on me.