Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

New Hawk kit review 2018

xsavoie

Alphans
Hawk scale and decals.

I would have hoped for a 1/48 scale one. Since I have a resin Hawk in 1/48 scale without any decals, I wonder if someone could offer a blow up service of the MPC 1/72 decal sheet in 1/48 scale. Is that decal sheet accurate.

Nice review and the finished kit looks good in the orange and white paint scheme. Does this new Hawk release give any clues as to the existence of landing gear on the ship? Perhaps the idea is that they're retractable, but I always found it odd that most Eagle variants (such as the Swift and Super Swift) have fixed landing gear and the Hawk doesn't.

Ivar
http://creativedioramas.com

I've seen some kitbashed landing gear, using the gear ass'y from one of the passenger pods from a "regular" Eagle. And I've seen a pen-and-ink drawing of a Hawk that has gear shown.

To answer your question though. I'd have to answer "sort of". Dead center of the underside of the cockpit section there's a panel, and there's two panels back under the engine section. Both of these could house a landing strut.

I would love to see some conjectural landing gear for the Hawk-
The Hawk is the only Earth ship in Space 1999 we have seen designed for combat- all the other craft have been explorers or utility vehicles. With those I can see having fixed gear, but in combat you want the ship to be tight and as small a profile as possible, it makes sense for the gear to be retractable to me.

I would love to see some conjectural landing gear for the Hawk-
The Hawk is the only Earth ship in Space 1999 we have seen designed for combat- all the other craft have been explorers or utility vehicles. With those I can see having fixed gear, but in combat you want the ship to be tight and as small a profile as possible, it makes sense for the gear to be retractable to me.

I've considered that the Hawk may not have any landing gear at all. Some background source material suggests that the Hawks were based aboard a space station so perhaps they were never intended to land at all, being space only combat craft. That would save on the weight of the landing. If for some reason one had to touch down on the surface of Earth or the moon then perhaps a dedicated landing cradle was needed.