Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

New TB2 Design

Given the strong reactions to the new vehicle designs in the Thunderbirds 2015 news thread, and particularly TB2, I think this topic is worthy of its own thread. So with acknowledgements to those who have already chimed in on that thread, here's my take on the TB2 redesign:

Vehicle designs tend to vacillate between the "soft, rounded" look and the "angular" look over time. You can see this with cars. Coincidentally, the new TB2 seems to have followed the same evolution as VW’s Beetle, which was redesigned in 1998 and again in 2012 (see attachments).

Both have undergone a flattening of the roof! While the previous Beetle and TB2 were more organic looking, with an armadillo-like round back, the new versions are flatter and sleeker. Less organic and more machine-like.

The other major change to TB2 is the more clearly defined engine intake ducts and housings, which give it a muscular, broad shouldered look. The original TB2 intakes were relatively small in comparison to the overall size of the ship, and the engine housings were blended into the main fuselage. The ducts and engine housings of the new TB2 are more distinct elements, adding something fresh to the design while remaining visually harmonious with the rest of the ship.

TB2 has always been a very original looking craft, and the new version, although slightly more angular, retains the unique character of the original. The only other sci-fi ship it reminds me of is the drop ship from Aliens. Yes, it is a distant relative, but both are wide (as opposed to long and skinny), green, and VTOL capable. And both transport vehicles which are housed in their storage bays.

A redesign this successful is hard to pull off. The TB2 from the 2004 Thunderbirds movie looked like an overinflated rubber toy version of the original.

But I think that this time, the designers have got it right. A successful update which respects the design roots of the original and brings it into the new millennium.

Ivar
http://www,creativedioramas.com

Attachments

• Old TB2.jpg
    Old TB2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 24
  • New TB2.jpg
    New TB2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 64
  • vw-evolution-628.jpg
    vw-evolution-628.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 25
I actually like the new TB2 and the one from the awful Frakes film. They might be a bit different but they're still very recognisible as TB2 [ still not as nice as the original though ].

I''m not so fussed on the front intakes on the new TB2 though as they look a bit fussy and don't look quite right.

I still don't care much for the TAG TB-2. To me it looks more like an engineering prototype of the TOS/TB-2 which has a much more elegant design.

I do like how the pod equipment is assembled from modules when they arrive or in transit- much more practical in most situations than delaying the departure while they thrash out which pod they need to take with them from the island. The only drawback is full on special vehicles can do the job better- like a all in one Fax/Scanner/Printer saves space but does not do as great a job that having three machines, each designed specifically for each separate task.

Dorzac

Alphans
I think the original TB2 is one of the best ships ever. I think the proportions are really good; the TB2 from the 2004 film was all wrong in this regard and looked like a blob with wings. The TAG TB2 is better, but the shape is less pleasing to me with its harder, squarer edges. It looks more industrial, if that makes sense.

Steve Gerard

Alphans
I think the original TB2 is one of the best ships ever. I think the proportions are really good; the TB2 from the 2004 film was all wrong in this regard and looked like a blob with wings. The TAG TB2 is better, but the shape is less pleasing to me with its harder, squarer edges. It looks more industrial, if that makes sense.

Agree, ranking the Thunderbird 2 designs:

#1 - original T2
#2 - TAG T2
#3 - 2004 film T2

I would have liked the 2004 version if they had made it smaller, kept the upper tail booster/sustainer propulsion block and kept the center pod section being swappable. I do not like the mini-pods dropping down from the bottom idea at all.
I don't mind having the vehicle becoming more graceful, I just think they could have done it better staying closer to the original.

Don't really care for the TAG version at all- too blocky and the hull graphic warnings destroys the sense of scale.

Planet3

Forum Supporter
The original TB2 was a classic design, but as they had to update it for the new series, I think they have done a pretty good job with the new design. It looks a mighty piece of hardware and pleasing to the eye. Let's face it, it could have been a disaster like a certain Frakes film that should have never been made..........

Steve Gerard

Alphans
The original TB2 was a classic design, but as they had to update it for the new series, I think they have done a pretty good job with the new design. It looks a mighty piece of hardware and pleasing to the eye. Let's face it, it could have been a disaster like a certain Frakes film that should have never been made..........
Absolutely agree, TAG Thunderbird 2 is a natural design progression from the original T2 design.

badsimmonds

Alphans
I'm afraid I'm probably in the minority but I don't like this version of TB2 or to be frank anything about TAG series.
As Richard says above the graphics really ruin the scale of this vehicle which is a pity as the original always had a sense of large scale. Ah well I suppose thats progress.

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
There was an interview with Derek Meddings, in last years Thunderbirds special magazine, where he states that he would have make TB2 more angular if he was designing a new version - so he might have liked the TAG version.
I think its actually OK myself, and a billion times better than the film version.

saturnapollo

Alphans
As Richard says above the graphics really ruin the scale of this vehicle which is a pity as the original always had a sense of large scale. Ah well I suppose thats progress.

The scaling is what lets it down more than anything else, specifically the large "danger exhaust" signs near the engines. I've been tempted a few times to get one of the large TB2 toys, fill of all the giant panel lines and remove signage such as this and "rescale" it. And photograph it from lower angles than in the series and it might work a whle lot better!

Keith

Swine Flu

Alphans
The problem is when you see the Mole exiting the pod it looks speeded up & when Thunderbird 2 is launched it speeds up making it look like a toy

Swine Flu

Alphans
Bought the Supersize Thunderbird 2 from Amazon but it's sound chip is in French!
Bought some used condition pods to go along with it, got a ewhite number sheet from ebay
I thing the design is a great update & the series is in it's 3rd season!
I love it!

That's great Swine Flu, will you be making any modifications to it?

I recently got the small (18cm long) TB2 for a diorama project and spent a while accurizing it:
-covered underside screws with putty and sanded flush
-reapplied T2 wing markings (they were angled wrong)
-repainted yellow stripes (they were poorly done with fuzzy edges)
-repainted engine cowls
-removed spring landing gear and added sheet styrene on underside
-sanded down and repainted some fuselage sections

Luckily the overall proportions are very good so no major mods were needed. I'll post photos when the diorama is finished.

Ivar
http://creativedioramas.com