Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

New UFO Restoration Blu-Ray on its way from Network ...

I'd like to see this given a bit of a revamp with things like wire removal and CGI - mainly on the flying sequences but as usual it probably won't happen.

HD Blu Ray will also make any bad special effects or wires more visible.

ac-60

Alphans
I'd like to see this given a bit of a revamp with things like wire removal and CGI - mainly on the flying sequences but as usual it probably won't happen.

YUK! CGI would look so naff... and you can't see the strings!

Jonathan E

Alphans

Why in God's name would you want CGI replacements in UFO?
And for the record there are NO bad effects in UFO. :O

For gods sake. I knew as soon as I dared to mention the words CGI in UFO some people would get uppity about it. Most of the effects in UFO do stand up pretty well - but these are mainly ground shots with the Mobiles etc. The flying sequences when they're not in space are the ones I'm talking about and you most definitely can see the strings in some shots and these sequences aren't so good. And these will be more visible in HD. I'm just talking about maybe replacing a few of the flying shots with CGI saucers/aircraft etc and removing wires.

I'm not talking about doing a George Lucas and adding silly things.

Last edited:

Dorzac

Alphans
I always remember the 3 UFO fly-by which they used as stock footage, which contained the small white probe in the background that only appeared in one episode - they could CGI that out of the relevant episodes :D

Last edited:
I always remember the 3 UFO fly-by which they used as stick footage, which contained the small white probe in the background that only appeared in one episode - they could CGI that out of the relevant episodes :D

Good idea. UFO's one of those shows that could benefit from some tweaking here and there. The original Star Trek benefitted from this so there's absolutely no reason why UFO and certain other shows can't too.

Dr Who's another one. I watched the Day of the Daleks CGI special edition a while back and the end battle is much better. Instead of a feeble battle with no lasers or gun shots they've now added a few bullets bouncing off the Daleks, more laser effects and a few more Daleks. It's quite an improvement and doesn't alter the stories at all. Just makes them better.

StrakersWig

Alphans
Now that I've watched the German UFO blu-ray, the extra detail available does reveal some interesting things but not necessarily where I expected it.

For instance in Reflections in the Water, in a close-up of Fosters double lying on the floor after being overpowered, you can see some very subtle suture marks on his face, alluding to the plastic surgery idea Foster mentions at the episode conclusion.

Also, In Timelash the horizontal wires holding up the bird frozen in flight are also visible.

The only flying shots I wouldn't mind being replaced are the shots of the UFOs making turns in the opening moonbase attack sequence in The Cat with Ten Lives which have always made me cringe.
On the other hand in the aerial shot of the 2 UFOs swooping down towards moonbase I fully expected the wires to be obvious against the light lunar surface - and was surprised to find no evidence of them.

If Network are doing a fresh restoration the one episode which could do with some improvement is Computer Affair, specifically the UFO in the forest sequence which has a lot of optical laser beam shots which I think may have been excessively noise reduced as they actually look a lot more soft and waxy than the same shots used in the title sequence of other episodes.

The best, most detailed looking episodes (excluding duped stock shots) I found to be Flight Path, The Cat with Ten Lives and The Man who Came Back, but they all look better than on DVD apart from the lack of dirt removal in places.

One minus point, on my set anyway, was a playback glitch in the Psychobombs at the point where the Shado officer is attacked in his apartment and has his fingerprints stolen. The picture slows down and freezes and you have to jump ahead a couple of minutes to resume normal play.

Overall though I was very pleased to have UFO in HD at last and now look forward to what Network come up with.

Dorzac

Alphans
I was looking at the German Blu-Ray set, so tempted to buy it just before xmas but held off, glad I did now.

Now that I've watched the German UFO blu-ray, the extra detail available does reveal some interesting things but not necessarily where I expected it.

For instance in Reflections in the Water, in a close-up of Fosters double lying on the floor after being overpowered, you can see some very subtle suture marks on his face, alluding to the plastic surgery idea Foster mentions at the episode conclusion.

Also, In Timelash the horizontal wires holding up the bird frozen in flight are also visible.

The only flying shots I wouldn't mind being replaced are the shots of the UFOs making turns in the opening moonbase attack sequence in The Cat with Ten Lives which have always made me cringe.
On the other hand in the aerial shot of the 2 UFOs swooping down towards moonbase I fully expected the wires to be obvious against the light lunar surface - and was surprised to find no evidence of them.

If Network are doing a fresh restoration the one episode which could do with some improvement is Computer Affair, specifically the UFO in the forest sequence which has a lot of optical laser beam shots which I think may have been excessively noise reduced as they actually look a lot more soft and waxy than the same shots used in the title sequence of other episodes.

The best, most detailed looking episodes (excluding duped stock shots) I found to be Flight Path, The Cat with Ten Lives and The Man who Came Back, but they all look better than on DVD apart from the lack of dirt removal in places.

One minus point, on my set anyway, was a playback glitch in the Psychobombs at the point where the Shado officer is attacked in his apartment and has his fingerprints stolen. The picture slows down and freezes and you have to jump ahead a couple of minutes to resume normal play.

Overall though I was very pleased to have UFO in HD at last and now look forward to what Network come up with.

If you look you'll probably see the wires in most shots. I'd definitely revamp all of those.

Jonathan E

Alphans
Perhaps next time Space 1999 is released we can have all those crappy Eagle models replaced with spiffing CGI clones. ;)
Why do people constantly want history re-written? Just because we can do something new, doesn't mean we have too.
I'm pretty certain UFO will be left alone and all the better for it. We are too spoilt today, remember the good old days when we were just happy to have the programmes in any form?

Last edited:

Howard

Forum Supporter
Well said Jon.

I'm all for taking wires out with cg, but replacing models is blasphemy!

Perhaps next time Space 1999 is released we can have all those crappy Eagle models replaced with spiffing CGI clones. ;)
Why do people constantly want history re-written? Just because we can do something new, doesn't mean we have too.
I'm pretty certain UFO will be left alone and all the better for it. We are too spoilt today, remember the good old days when we were just happy to have the programmes in any form?

Well I hope they ignore nonsense like yours. Nobody's talking about replacing all the model shots and Eagles in 99. That's just stupid sensationalist rubbish.

These old shows can benefit from a few tweaks here and there and hopefully we'll get more and more of it. Things do date but with a bit of modern technology they can be made more timeless. What the hell do you think's going to happen? Do you think the show will end up radically different or something?

I'm talking about a few nips and tucks here and there.

Well said Jon.

I'm all for taking wires out with cg, but replacing models is blasphemy!

Well I think Jon is talking utter ott rubbish on this and seems to think any tweaks to these old shows is akin to altering history [ which is bollocks ]. I'm not talking about replacing all the models for gods sake. I'm talking about the aerial shots where you can most definitely see the wires.

Jonathan E

Alphans
The shows don't need altering or correcting or adjusting, we don't need fancy CGI make overs. Just like we didn't want or need special editions of the Star Wars films.
UFO was made in 1969 and is still technically marvellous for the time in which it was made. The new CGI effects on Star Trek are very good, but its not the Star Trek I was raised on.
The comment about Space 1999 was a sarcastic one, if Network added CGI to Space I think the whole EagleTransporter forum would march on their offices.
Also please don't resort to swearing, my comments are just as valid as yours.
So the odd wire is visible, so what? If its suddenly replaced by CGI I'm not going to think 'Wow, that's so much more realistic'.
For some reason people have become mesmerised by CGI, as Martin Bower says on the Alien Blu-ray CGI will never fully replace model work and unless it is done extremely well, 90% of all the CGI i've even seen looks very poor.
I don't want this to turn into a slanging match, so lets just agree to differ.:wtf:

The shows don't need altering or correcting or adjusting, we don't need fancy CGI make overs. Just like we didn't want or need special editions of the Star Wars films.
UFO was made in 1969 and is still technically marvellous for the time in which it was made. The new CGI effects on Star Trek are very good, but its not the Star Trek I was raised on.
The comment about Space 1999 was a sarcastic one, if Network added CGI to Space I think the whole EagleTransporter forum would march on their offices.
Also please don't resort to swearing, my comments are just as valid as yours.
So the odd wire is visible, so what? If its suddenly replaced by CGI I'm not going to think 'Wow, that's so much more realistic'.
For some reason people have become mesmerised by CGI, as Martin Bower says on the Alien Blu-ray CGI will never fully replace model work and unless it is done extremely well, 90% of all the CGI i've even seen looks very poor.
I don't want this to turn into a slanging match, so lets just agree to differ.:wtf:

I see. You're speaking for everyone when you say "we" don't need or want these things? You're just spouting the usual old cliches that have been said before whenever anyone dares to mention giving these shows a 'bit' of a makeover. Just exactly what are people like you afraid of?

What on Earth is wrong with getting rid of wires and bringing certain scenes up to scratch so they look more seamless? Nobody's saying the original effects weren't very good for the time but some of them don't look so good now and there's nothing wrong with wanting to see them improved. The original special effects guys would have used CGI if they had the chance at the time.

It's not a case of being mesmerised by CGI or wanting to see all model work being replaced and I bet a lot of this anti CGI stuff that started with Lucas and the Special Editions was former model makers etc going on to websites to try and convince everyone that any attempts to update older films was just bad full stop. And maybe some stuffy people would be against any CGI being added to Space 1999 but I sincerely doubt the whole Eagletransporter forum would march on their offices if it was done carefully.

That's the problem. People like you immediately jump on this anti CGI, anti enhancements bandwagon as if you're speaking for everyone and you don't seem to differentiate between a few enhancements here and there - to somebody changing the whole thing.

Jonathan E

Alphans
This is my last word on the subject. I an NOT anti CGI. I like it in modern films when it's done right, its just that nine times out of ten it isn't done right.
To view really bad CGI (and bad model work) you only have to look at the new Thunderbirds Are Go series.
I like new special effects techniques and I like old school special effects, I just, personally, don't agree with changing what the artists originally created.
Its because people mess around with the original product that we end up with travesties like Super Space Theatre, Turbocharged Thunderbirds and that God awful Thunderbirds film from 2004.

This is my last word on the subject. I an NOT anti CGI. I like it in modern films when it's done right, its just that nine times out of ten it isn't done right.
To view really bad CGI (and bad model work) you only have to look at the new Thunderbirds Are Go series.
I like new special effects techniques and I like old school special effects, I just, personally, don't agree with changing what the artists originally created.
Its because people mess around with the original product that we end up with travesties like Super Space Theatre, Turbocharged Thunderbirds and that God awful Thunderbirds film from 2004.

No we end up with things like that God awful Thunderbirds film because clueless people get involved with making them. That's got absolutely nothing to do with carefully done enhancements on older shows - which is what I'm advocating. Same with the new Thunderbirds series [ which isn't all bad ].

And even I think adding CGI to the original Thunderbirds is pointless too. But UFO and Space 1999 are different as they were striving to be more realistic. When the model makers did those shots they were trying to make them look as realistic as possible and that's why they tried to hide the wires with smoke etc - but that wasn't very succesful as it's virtually impossible to get rid of wires - especially in the daytime shots. There's some shots of the UFO's close up where the wires look terrible as you can see them clearly. Getting rid of the wires is hardly changing what the original artists created. Same with a bit of CGI. And nobody will convince me that giving a better explanation for the moon breaking away from Earths orbit [ like they wanted to do with the Space 1999 revamp Space 2099 ] is a bad thing either. The original explanation is ludicrous and just doesn't stack up.

Even if some CGI saucers were added - they're based on the original model makers designs so what exactly is so bad about about that?

Last edited:

Jonathan E

Alphans
There are many, many things in Space 1999 that are ludicrous. that doesn't stop us loving it.
To be totally honest I have always managed to ignore the(minor) shortcomings in the special effects and just enjoy the programmes. Remember when that's what we used to do? The programme makers just never expected us to be able to view them in the clarity that we now enjoy.
Also I do like certain changes, I'm one of the few people who preferred Thunderbirds in 16:9 when it came out on Blu-ray and I hope they do the same for UFO.