Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Old Old SHADO Mobile Build

forza27

Alphans
Well, here we go. I am building a Studio Scale Control Mobile. Body was by Mamas, but please do not confuse this with his latest offering, this is the Old Old One!!

Will get some pics in shortly. It's in the filling, sanding, filling and sanding stage, as has been for some time :D

I have a set of Tiger Joe wheels and tracks, the TJ motor to use for the radar dish assembly and will be fitting working headlights too.

I have the SMT body and radar bits, so good to go. Roy Scheider is on hand to pilot the Mobile in conjunction with the black dude also from Seaquest ( no idea what his name is as never was into it )

I also have a set of JBOT decals and a tin of the proper paint all ready to go.

Not sure whether to have suspension though, probably not as do not imagine trundling it about in the garden.

Well that's where we are at the moment. No doubt will be asking for advice as we go from you knowledgeable people, though I have seen the info threads so already have a bit of the low down.

forza27

Alphans
I started this just over a year ago then ran out of sanding enthusiasm :lol:

But I now have renewed vigour. Though I wish I could buy the latest Mamas version with scribed lines etc ( it looks marvellous ) I will crack on with what I have, which I am sure will make a great Mobile. I have bought the Mamas Chassis just recently and will be using this in the build.

This is where I am at the moment:

Lots to do.

forza27

Alphans
Just slathered on some P38 to square up the canopy and ensure a tight fit into the mobile canopy lips.

Its drying at the mo, so will get sanding over the weekend and will post pics. The roof has dips and the side window walls have had dips filled too so once its all sanded back hopefully it will be nice and tight into the body lips. Hope you know what I mean :think:

Always wear a face mask when sanding....cough!

forza27

Alphans
BTW, thanks for Mamas providing an exhaust stack. A gentleman...Cheers dude. Wish I could afford your Stingray and Sky Diver builds. They are beautiful and would buy them in a heart beat. :(

Question to you knowledgeable people: Is there a template for the cutting of a 6" toilet ball for the cutting of the radar dish?

Any help much appreciated :thumbup:

Derek

forza27

Alphans
Mamas Chassis dry fit

Sanding and more sanding.....then more sanding

More filling

Then more sanding....:lol:

Weird, I edited that picture to be counter clockwise by 90 degrees in photobucket!!!

Please tip your screen/laptop accordingly :lol:

Enjoying a on line build again...been a while.

Stay mobilised.....

Now you've got the bit between your teeth, don't lose momentum. Anybody who takes on a build like this - not just a static display model, but a truly mobile mobile - deserves a lot of encouragement. Good luck, and keep posting.

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi there
Great build, I just love mobiles although unlike Mamas I only have one.
My mobile was also a control vehicle, its build is on this site, for the dish I used a 6" acrylic sphere because it was lying around. Some people hate working with the stuff but if your careful its easy to work with.
I didn't have a template so just guessed and fine tuned until it looked right. I thought it would be hard to create but it turned out to be the easiest part of my build. Mamas has improved the mobile parts and included a lot more, plus SMT didn't do the radar dish parts when I was building.
Good luck with the build as you can't have enough mobiles.

forza27

Alphans
Now you've got the bit between your teeth, don't lose momentum. Anybody who takes on a build like this - not just a static display model, but a truly mobile mobile - deserves a lot of encouragement. Good luck, and keep posting.

Kindest regards

Patrick

Hi Patrick, thanks for the kind words however I think there has been a misunderstanding. The mobile will be static,but the radar will turn. The concept of an RC Mobile is great and Mamas is doing fantastic work, but for me, I would not want to drive one as cool as that would be.

Happy to just admire it as a timeless piece of Art from the Gerry Anderson ( Meddings and Trim ) stable of stunning craft designs.

Derek

Under the radar.....

Ooops, sorry Derek, obviously picked you up wrong. Great idea to have the rotating dish though, and it's still a test of your skills to rig it all up so that it works. Matters not whether it's static or mobile, it's still yet another iconic Andersonesque design - nothing like it since. Keep those pictures coming now,

Kindest regards

Patrick

forza27

Alphans
Getting there I think!!

Not sure this leopard spot camo is working for me :lol:

Will get some primer on it after a sand and see where the curves are at. Hard to tell at the moment.

Any pics you have of the Mamas Mobile underside curves would be appreciated, so I can see where I need to be.