Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY
I would like to order for that CD too,I have an AB model kit of Stingray
in my possesion as well as a Comet Miniature kit of her too in my stock
that I could to recast and the parts for them to create improved accurate
versions of her.

Do you know how I can contact Paul Bradbury?:think:

Cool Caveman

Alphans
Wow, what a GREAT article!!

It makes me wish I'd never sold the ones I had... sniff...

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Airfix nailed the shape, they based it on the Reg Hill 12" model and captured it perfectly. It really is a thing of beauty, Phil Rae used this model to make his famous SIG blueprint.

They only element that screams to be modified is the ratemaster, Reg's model had a silver coloured one exactly like the Airfix Kit but I would have to change it.

TV21Dalek

Alphans
Please someone at Hornby get hold of one of these and laser scan it to make a new set of tools... please!!!!!!!!!

miger1

Alphans
They only element that screams to be modified is the ratemaster, Reg's model had a silver coloured one exactly like the Airfix Kit but I would have to change it.

Well, when you manage to replicate the kit, you can offer both a grey and a clear ratemaster option :thumbup:

HI Im lookin for a cab and cab fins for the wave stingray . could any one help me . the hull i have is a spun resin and the cab wasnt so clever . the vynal cab fits just fine . im happy to pay . just to finish the kit off thanks . john

miger1

Alphans
I am on a mission to resurrect this much missed and desired kit. I would like to buy, trade or borrow a good example of this kit with a view to 3D scanning it's parts and 3D printing a set of masters. No kit parts would be harmed in this process and full credit would be given to any who contributes.

If you can help please let me know.

Bernie.

Seen a program recently about 3D printing, this kit is just crying out to be reproduced by this method!
Anyone have access to a kit and the technology? (please???)

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
Airfix nailed the shape, they based it on the Reg Hill 12" model and captured it perfectly. It really is a thing of beauty, Phil Rae used this model to make his famous SIG blueprint.

In fact, my blueprint was NOT based on the version you refer to, but the much larger hero model used most of the time.

miger1

Alphans
In fact, my blueprint was NOT based on the version you refer to, but the much larger hero model used most of the time.

Thanks for clearing that up Phil ---------------you could always resurrect your recasting project of the Reg Hill 12'' Stingray model too (hint hint) :)

KiwiElf

Alphans
Hi Paul

WOW what a find and thank you so much. I have one!!!! Bought for me by my Dad as an Xmas present when I was a kid (but sadly missing the ratemaster, periscope, boosters and fins. Everything else is there and I have been carefully disassembling it in the hope of a complete restoration). I steadfastly refused to part with it after all these years.

Your hard work and pics are a dream! I can start rebuilding the missing bits.

Ummmm they're worth HOW much????? *faints* :)

miger1

Alphans
A legendary kit if ever there was one! ------------Airfix got the form just right, strange though how they decided to have so many parts to produce the 2 hull halves??

miger1

Alphans
Here is a photo which i think shows the 'Reg Hill' pre-production Stingray model the Airfix kit was based on.
Even in this not too clear image, you can see what a beautiful model it is!
I stilll think this had the best shape of all the models! --------------is this yours Phil?

http://yfrog.com/p6N9uFckj

Attachments

• Stingray Pre-production.jpg
    Stingray Pre-production.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Seeing is (not quite) believing....

Stumbled upon this thread.....had no idea this version of Stingray even existed, and no wonder the kits for sale attract such huge sums. Always distresses me that people hold on to unbuilt kits, which seem to attract huge bids, when all they're never going to build them (sorry if I'm treading on anybody's toes here, don't mean to offend). Just reading Bernie's story, it's obvious he'd love to have his Stingray back, just as it was all those years ago..... and yet he can't. There are parallels with my own childhood, with treasured items thrown out - all those wee kits which came free with Cornflakes, the space vehicles, the Thunderbirds, my Junior TB4, plus original TV21s "passed on", etc).

Fascinating reading nevertheless, and thanks for sharing a wee bit of your story Bernie - maybe some day......

Kindest regards
Patrick

miger1

Alphans
Has anyone been able to obtain an Airfix Stingray to make a 3D printed kit yet???
I've seen a few sell on the 'Bay in the last year,but I've bid unsuccessfully each time I'm afraid.:(:(
I'm sure someone has one they could loan unless the process destroys/damages the original? i'm not sure.