Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

miger1

Alphans
I've revived this old post (but what a post!!) to see if anyone has an Aifix Stingray (in any condition they may wish to part with)
I've been after one for ages now with no luck :(
..Or should I say another as I had one many years ago!
So, if you can help....

Last edited:

Cool Caveman

Alphans
Out of nowhere, there's been a few for sale on eBay in the past month or so...

I've revived this old post (but what a post!!) to see if anyone has an Aifix Stingray (in any condition they may wish to part with)
I've been after one for ages now with no luck :(
..Or should I say another as I had one many years ago!
So, if you can help....

tryptych

Alphans
I am thinking the best way to recreate this would be to replicate the parts in 3D, either using a laser/LIDAR scanner, or through photogrammetry.

Once at that stage, they could be cleaned up and a quality 3D polygon mesh created.
After that, they could be either 3D printed using deposition or resin methods, or a dye mould produced for injection moulding.

Food for thought?

Cool Caveman

Alphans
I'm surprised no-one has made moulds from an Airfix Stingray yet, I'm sure it would be a popular kit!

It's beyond my abilities to do it myself, skill wise, and especially as I sold the ones I had (reluctantly), but I'd definitely be in the market for one as long as the price was sensible.

I am thinking the best way to recreate this would be to replicate the parts in 3D, either using a laser/LIDAR scanner, or through photogrammetry.

Once at that stage, they could be cleaned up and a quality 3D polygon mesh created.
After that, they could be either 3D printed using deposition or resin methods, or a dye mould produced for injection moulding.

Food for thought?

tryptych

Alphans
It depends on what kind of mould.
A diecast mould for polystyrene injection moulding is very expensive.

I would imagine 3D printing would be a more economical method.
The question is, are there any unbuilt, complete kits still out there, and would they allow a scan?

miger1

Alphans
Would scanning damage the kit in any way at all?
I wouldn't have thought so, as it would be non-contact etc

tryptych

Alphans
Not in the slightest.
With a laser, it is reflected light, with photogrammetry it's simply a whole bunch of photos.
In most cases the object can be either put on a stand or held with some grips, it's not even moved.

Industrial Light and Magic, the VFX company behind Star Wars has been scanning model kits for some time now and building a library of digital parts, as they want authenticity of their old filming miniatures and kits are becoming scarce.

TV21Dalek

Alphans
I can imagine some of the people with the kit wouldn't like it reissued... it would mean anyone could now build a copy of the uber rare kit and selling the original to modellers at the collector prices would possibly be more difficult.
Strangely I think one of the resin kits of Fireball is based on the Kitmaster model

tryptych

Alphans
TV21Dalek said:
It would mean anyone could now build a copy of the uber rare kit and selling the original to modellers at the collector prices would possibly be more difficult.

I very much doubt if a modern reissue would affect the price of the original kits.
Collectors know the difference and wouldn't be fooled.

miger1

Alphans
it would mean anyone could now build a copy of the uber rare kit and selling the original to modellers at the collector prices would possibly be more difficult.
Strangely I think one of the resin kits of Fireball is based on the Kitmaster model

The Polar Lights re-releases of the rare Aurora Seaview, Flying Sub kits etc hasn't effected the original kit prices,I don't think--- granted, non as rare as the Stingray and XL5 kits.

tryptych

Alphans
Would it have to be an built kit?:think:

Ideally, yes, because people want kits, otherwise you would have to pull apart a completed model which wouldn't have all the clean edges. Plus, ideally you want to have the sprue as per the original kit.

It's possible to fix a lot digitally, but a virgin kit would be far easier.

miger1

Alphans
Seen a few 3d printed Stingray models appearing online now--not an Airfix Stingray copy yet unfortunately--but has anyone made one of these yet? any good?

----and as i've posted before; if anyone has an Airfix Stingray to sell (in any condition),please PM me