Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Polar Lights 1/350 Scale TOS Enterprise

jeb1138

Alphans
I agree with you headcase they look way to frosted, i like the color he painted the model. I think light grey looks the best, maybe a little tinge of blue but just barely.

headcase

Alphans
Yeah - light gray is what I'm leaning towards. Whatever color I go with, I'm gonna have to mix up a CRAPLOAD of it!

jeb1138

Alphans
Heres some more pictures for you, a couple of shots of someones shuttle bay build of a polar lights 350 kit, one shot of the original miniature and several CG models.

Attachments

• 20130115-214401.jpg
    20130115-214401.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20130115-214534.jpg
    20130115-214534.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 42
  • GCS0146ba.jpg
    GCS0146ba.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 36
  • b%20saucer%20dome%201.jpg
    b%20saucer%20dome%201.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 21
  • blue1.jpg
    blue1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 14
  • blue3.jpg
    blue3.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 9
  • blue5.jpg
    blue5.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 11
  • blue7.jpg
    blue7.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 17
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 15
  • wip4.jpg
    wip4.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 23

headcase

Alphans
Thanks for the new pics. I was looking at a lot of interior photos today of the original Enterprise - starting my research to do the bridge and shuttle bay. Having been mainly interested in factual spaceflight most of my life, I cringe when I see an open shuttle bay with a uniformed crewman in it. All I can think is that they should be a smear on the wall!

jeb1138

Alphans
You forget that the shield can keep the bay pressurized, at least that what they would have you believe.

Last edited:

BEATLEPAUL

Alphans
1/350 Original Series Enterprise

Hey Guys,

Here's my build up with full lighting package of my favorite Enterprise. It features, as I said a full lighting package, Airbrushed hull color,based on my reference material of the actual miniature, weathering.

headcase

Alphans
Cool pics, BEATLEPAUL!! I see you didn't light the nacelle vents. I doubt I will, either. I assume you used the Polar Lights lighting kit? If you did, I have questions!! Did you use any PE on your build? I have the Paragrafix set, but I'm not yet fully sold on the Polar Lights set.
I'm really chomping at the bit to get going on this. I was just staring at the lighting kit instruction set while I was on the can. (OK, TMI, I know!)

BEATLEPAUL

Alphans
Cool pics, BEATLEPAUL!! I see you didn't light the nacelle vents. I doubt I will, either. I assume you used the Polar Lights lighting kit? If you did, I have questions!! Did you use any PE on your build? I have the Paragrafix set, but I'm not yet fully sold on the Polar Lights set.
I'm really chomping at the bit to get going on this. I was just staring at the lighting kit instruction set while I was on the can. (OK, TMI, I know!)

Howdy,
No, I didn't light the nacelle vents. Why? because the actual miniature didn't have this feature. I also did not use the PE set. It wasn't necessary on my build. Yes I did use the polar lights lighting kit...in my opinion it is superb.

BEATLEPAUL

Alphans
1/350 ORIGINAL SERIES ENTERPRISE BUILD...Full lighting. Photo/composite by Mark Myers. Detail of nacelle endcap rotating light/fan effect. Composite done to replicate original series f/x

headcase

Alphans
Yup - I know the nacelle vents weren't lit on the studio model. The instructions say that they included them because it was something the original series people WANTED to do but they had to abandon the idea because of budgetary problems. Hence, I'm leaning towards not using that option.
The Paragrafix PE set is almost all light blocking parts, but it also has a set of decals for stuff like the bridge consoles.
So my questions about the lighting kit are:
1) Did you paint the interior surfaces of the parts to provide light blocking? If so, what color did you use?
2) How do you hook the lights up to test them prior to final assembly? Do you have to route everything through the PCBs, or what? I've always been a total ignoramus when it comes to electronics. :nutter: Ugh.

BEATLEPAUL

Alphans
Yup - I know the nacelle vents weren't lit on the studio model. The instructions say that they included them because it was something the original series people WANTED to do but they had to abandon the idea because of budgetary problems. Hence, I'm leaning towards not using that option.
The Paragrafix PE set is almost all light blocking parts, but it also has a set of decals for stuff like the bridge consoles.
So my questions about the lighting kit are:
1) Did you paint the interior surfaces of the parts to provide light blocking? If so, what color did you use?
2) How do you hook the lights up to test them prior to final assembly? Do you have to route everything through the PCBs, or what? I've always been a total ignoramus when it comes to electronics. :nutter: Ugh.

OK...

Here goes. I didn't use the shuttlebay or the bridge interior pieces. Although they are a nice addition, I personally didn't like the look of them. I wanted to replicate the studio miniature as seen in all her glory back in 1966.
Plus everybody and their brothers uncle is building them the same way(with the open shuttlebay,bridge). Hence, I didn't require the P/E parts. I light blocked the hulls with Flat Black/Silver.
I tested the lighting EVERY step of the build and constructed it the same time I built the model up. She is sealed, except for the Main sensor dish. I can also remove the Nacell end caps to replace the motors for the fan if/and when needed.

BEATLEPAUL

Alphans
A couple of pics showing the rotating fans and lighting of the nacell end caps.
Again, I can't say enough about the Round 2/Polar Lights Lighting kit AND the Enterprise kit itself.

jeb1138

Alphans
Man, you did a fantasic job on your build Beatlepaul! :clap: do you have a website link with more photos of it? :thumbup:

headcase

Alphans
BEATLEPAUL - Thanks a TON for all the good info. VERRRRRRRY nice work! How do you hook up the lights to power to test them during the build? That part scares me - I don't want to blow up any LEDs!!!

BEATLEPAUL

Alphans
BEATLEPAUL - Thanks a TON for all the good info. VERRRRRRRY nice work! How do you hook up the lights to power to test them during the build? That part scares me - I don't want to blow up any LEDs!!!

I just checked out the sections I was working on at the time...For example, While attaching the lights to the secondary hull/Nacells, I checked each and every time I did something to make sure the lights worked.

Hope this helps!