Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Possible Space 1999 reboot?

With Brian Johnson at the helm, we can rest assured that he'll design the Eagle command module interior to look "more like a cockpit and less like a ballroom." (His response to an interviewer when asked how he would have designed it, and my favourite Brian Johnson quote.)

Ivar
http://www.creativedioramas.com

I have never heard of this 'ballroom' reference before but it doesn't make any sense to me. All the command module cockpit was 2 chairs for the pilot and co-pilot with a small stand up walk space between them which is needed. There is no extra space so the 'ballroom' statement to me makes it seem that it was huge room which it wasn't. In fact, in my mind, I would make the command module LONGER by adding an airlock behind it!

Ham Salad

Alphans
I can do without certain things like the 70s disco look for some of the aliens with glitter on their faces etc.

They were...two WILD AND CRAZY GUYS!

Personally, I always thought the '70's ambience to be charming... they even copied it in space station '76. But then, I'm an old fart, so that just seems familiar and homey to me.

Last edited:
They were...two WILD AND CRAZY GUYS!

Personally, I always thought the '70's ambience to be charming... they even copied it in space station '76. But then, I'm an old fart, so that just seems familiar and homey to me.

True but it probably wouldn't be a good idea to have any new series populated by disco aliens today.

Modernized Super Eagle

Myself, I would also see Eagle design updated a bit.
Put windows in the place of the cutouts on the command module.
Lengthen CM and put two additional seats in it.
Windows would have good view of outside instead of the restricted view of those two tiny cockpit viewports.
Thinking like Fireball XL-5 windows.
Reposition the lifting engines to the outer part of the frame instead of the centerline mounting and have four engines rather than two forward/aft.
Such an arrangement provides for engine out so you don't crash when losing a lifting engine.
Assume fusion power for propulsion and shoulders are fuel tanks.
Lengthen shoulders to become like sponsons on aircraft.
Streamline the shoulders/fuel tanks for better atmospheric performance.
Double the size in every dimension so as to increase passenger/cargo capacity. Eagle becomes a two deck design.
Larger landing gear with telescoping capability to expose the Pod so that ground vehicles can stage out of the lower deck area while upper deck is for passengers/quarters/lab spaces like as in the USAF C-5 arrangement of cargo and passenger decks.
Figure 12 foot high decks.
Fit an access tunnel in the spine so rear area can be reached crawling through tunnel ala B-29/B-36 when Pod is not attached.
There is my ideas for modernized Super Eagle.

Last edited: