Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Red Dwarf season 3

MoonbaseAlpha

Chief Eagle Pilot
Hi guys,

Here's a few behind the scenes photos that I took while working on season 3 of Red Dwarf.

Hope you enjoy ;)
Andy H.

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
Fantastic shots Andy, many thanks for sharing. I'm a big Red Dwarf fan and have just built myself a new Starbug model, so very happy to see any Starbug photos you may have.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Hi David,

Andy has quite a large collection of images he tells me he has some great images of Starbug being built and has promised to search them out so we can publish them here.

Watch this space. :D

pjskeldon

Alphans
Starbug 1

I was inspired to start a Starbug scratchbuild following David's article in the SF&F Modeller. I never quite finished as there were so few available pictures of the filming miniature. These great pictures fill in some of the blanks, so I might just finish it. Apologies for the wrong green - I just wanted to lose the various shades of EMA-grey!

The rear section uses two 7-inch diameter EMA hemis, if you were wondering how big this is.

Phil.

MoonbaseAlpha

Chief Eagle Pilot
Hi,

I was the person who made the original Bazookiods, so yes I do jnow what they were made of.

I made a wooden former for the body, then vac formed the shells in 3mm plastic.
I welded up a T shaped frame from round metal tubing for the cental core.
The barrel is just differnt sized plastic tube, a Rizler air freshener and a drain pipe conector for the front.

There was no real design for it in the first place, so I could do what I wanted, all that the script said was in was a mining laser.
They had to fire a charge and have a few flashing lights.
And be ready in just over 3 days...

Andy H.

JudgeMinty

Alphans
Fascinating photos and great work!

I'm a like real models and CGI, but I prefer the model work on Red Dwarf to the later CGI. It feels grittier and more correct for the story.

pjskeldon

Alphans
Hi Andy,

Do you have any pictures of the rear/engine area of Starbug? I cobbled something together that looked OK as I couldn't find any good reference shots at the time. I'd really like to have a go at doing a better job here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil.

Ham Salad

Alphans
Hi,

I was the person who made the original Bazookiods, so yes I do jnow what they were made of.

I made a wooden former for the body, then vac formed the shells in 3mm plastic.
I welded up a T shaped frame from round metal tubing for the cental core.
The barrel is just differnt sized plastic tube, a Rizler air freshener and a drain pipe conector for the front.

There was no real design for it in the first place, so I could do what I wanted, all that the script said was in was a mining laser.
They had to fire a charge and have a few flashing lights.
And be ready in just over 3 days...

Andy H.

Is that the same air freshener they used on the cybergun from earthshock?

Was the handle a stock item too?

MoonbaseAlpha

Chief Eagle Pilot
The air freashener is similar in shape, but about half the hight of the ones used on the cyberguns.

The handels were old black rubber bike handle grips I got from a bike shop just around the corner from Vis/Fx in Acton.

Andy H.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Department of readjustments....

Hi Phil,

Andy is a really nice guy, he is going through all of his vast collection of images just to help the guys who are replica building the Red Dwarf vehicles.

I have photoshopped the Polaroid image Andy sent me to try to bring up more of the details. I brightened them both and adjusted the contrast then treated them separately. The first was 100% "defination" to harden all the edges which makes picking out EMA and kit details a little easier. The second is 100% noise reduced which gives a better overall impression of the layout of parts with spurious distractions removed.

God knows how it actually works, I just fiddle around and sometimes it helps. :D

Last thing to note, the model was about 50% complete at this stage.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Andy has forwarded these images from the large Starbug model, they show the engine section in much better detail. This model has been slightly redressed for use in the new series.

MoonbaseAlpha

Chief Eagle Pilot
The rig is the one from Peerless studios in central London.
Pete Tyler was the cameraman, he has his own rig now.

Andy H.

CR

Alphans
Just discovered this thread, and found it fascinating! Sorry to say that I missed Red Dwarf when it was shown around here a few years ago; other than maybe a handful of episodes I happened to catch back then, most of my knowledge about the series comes from various posts here! (I've been playing catch-up whenever I'm able... it's taking quite a while, to say the least.)

Neat behind-the-scenes pics. The kit spotter in me noticed that some Japanese Macross kit parts made it into the Starbug's engine area, mainly because I've built those kits and also used some of them for kitbashing. Very cool to see that the pros still use the method, and even cooler to see that on screen, the models stand on their own rather than as a collection of miscellaneous parts. (In other words, it takes these detailed behind-the-scenes pics to actually discern what parts were used.)