Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Robert the Robot....

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Hi Guys,

I was tempted to post this in the Puppets thread but they are hip deep in Captain Scarlet stuff and I didn't want to kidnap the thread.

I need help with another project which is on the back burner, I am looking for all the reference I can find for Robert the Robot from Fireball XL5. I have never made a puppet before and once my UFO kit is released and I have the next kit under control with RC Nut, I will looking for a third subject and Robert may well be it.

I have a vision of a studio scale replica on a Jetmobile, I believe he rode one so it's correct to display this way.

I am suffering the usual reference problems and need accurate dimensions, I have heard his head was made from a plastic beaker, are any of his other parts know at all?

If I start to gather reference now I can ponder and plan that much better for later. So if anyone can help a fellow out I would be grateful. :thumbup:

Cap'n

Mike Delamar

Alphans
wish you all the best with this, will gather all stuff I find here.
Blue ray may help too.
your laser cutter will be working overtime :)

Mike

JD

Alphans
Yes, Steve Zodiac. Just went looking: thread's here.

I love how the bottom of Robert's head looks to have lent itself to the Ufo!

DX-SFX

Alphans
It boils down to whether the person is doing it because he loves the subject and runs a few more since he's invested in jigs etc and wants others to have the opportunity to share the fruits of his labour, OR, whether it's purely a money making operation. In 1612's case, it's obviously the money because it's minimum investment and effort, usually someone else's, with no effort being spent on making the product any good.

It also comes down to a point alluded to in another thread where the internet now makes it too easy for someone to ask someone else to do two hours work for them. I suppose it's down to setting personal standards but I do agree with Jim if someone expects a product to be any good, they do need to put in some groundwork before you make a start. A drawing seems the most basic requirement. It's easier to make corrections to a drawing before you start cutting plastic than constantly altering a model. The 3D shape may ultimately need tweaking but a good home drawn drawing, or even good profile photos printed to actual size, will get you 95% of the way there, otherwise it's a bit like starting on an unknown journey with only half a map.

Last edited:

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
This thread suddenly got more interesting - normally I miss these and don't spot them till days later.:D

Personally speaking I can see both sides of this argument. I like to help people with bits of advice and info and I tend to receive a steady stream of email requests asking for such but there is a fine line between feeling like I'm 'helping' someone and feeling like they are 'using' me!

When I supply photos to people I have to admit that I feel far happier passing on images that I have freely collected on-line rather than those that have cost me £5, £10 or £100 to buy! Likewise a scan of someones on-line blueprint is easy to link to rather then provide a copy of a plan that took me God-knows how many hours to draw and possibly hundreds of pounds in research. I think that so far only 3 people have offered to pay me anything up front for my time, effort or costs (which is a nice gesture) - most just put please and expect it to be free (which photos are, I can't provide plans) - then again some don't even say please or put their name on pathetic one-line emails.:-/

Again personally speaking I like to see that people have put a bit of effort in themselves before they ask me for help - recently someone stated that they had no Eagle reference photos and could only find one picture of an Eagle on the Internet! ONE. Obviously spent a great deal of time researching that model.
Even on this forum you see countless examples of people asking for information, or a question, that is actually there on that very thread - the answer can even be on the line above their posting!!!:O They can't even be bothered to read whats in front of them.

Being more specific to this thread, when I read the first posting I did get the 'slight' feeling that the Captain was rushing into something somewhat unprepared. He wants to possibly build a Robert very soon but seemed to have less than a blank page to start with.

However in fairness to him here he did say that it was a future project and that he was basically testing the water to see if anyone had anything to help, we can't all be experts on every model and there could be people on here who have found good pictures on the internet somewhere already - although it might have been sensible to contact SZ by personel email and offer some sort of deal up front for a plan/info as this is a possible business venture project. But then again maybe he did, we don't know?

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Steady guys....

Hi Guys,

Before any camps get built or reinforcements get called up let me clear the air.

Yes, I have approached Steve and asked for his help. This has been my methodology right from the outset. Seek an expert, listen to what they say, take that knowledge forward, solicit more opinion from others who are interested, get a consensus, move forward again. I am working like this for the following reasons:

1) His replica seems to be the best build of Robert to date and has had a positive reaction from the fans.

2) I was interested in how he solved some of the build problems and whether I could use his techniques in my own attempt to recreate a studio scale puppet.

3) I am still learning stuff everyday from this board, this is one of it's greatest strengths. Sometimes it is necessary to ask questions, I am NEVER offended if the answer is a polite no. :)

4) I learned from DX-SFX's comments ref 1612, the message seemed clear to me that they should have consulted the people who KNOW the subject and have paid the dues for "The Knowledge" Also we are their customers it makes business sense.

5) I don't have time to re-invent the wheel and what would be the point? A polite "Hi there" has made me many friends, I offer the same friendship in return and I am only too happy to help and support others, I thrive on this community vibe.

6) I do own nice model building machines, amazingly good resources. I share my good fortune where ever I can and see no reason to stop doing so.

7) The devil is in the detail, I want my model work to satisfy the boards guru's because if they like it, others will too. So yes I seek expert input (see point 4)

8) This is a very important lesson, seek from what was used on the shows, go back to the screen used sources, work it out!! Mark42 and DX-SFX taught me this valuable lesson from a mobile build thread. The technique of "work it out" was lead by another friend, Mike Delamar, I have learnt and am still learning a lot from him.

9) I have been a fan of Anderson productions since I was a little lad, I have a huge wish list of stuff I would like (like most people here I am guessing), I have set my course and decided on a build order. Robert is on the list as a future venture, the very start of this process is research, this is where I am, at the VERY start. I am inviting all my friends to the party, if you don't want to dance, that's fine, I will see you at the bar later, first round is on me :D

10) This is the future. My problem is I can't do this alone. If you want to be involved in raising the bar, help me. Here is what can be done, all we need is the will to do it. I have ideas, resources and the good sense to join this community. I see people making great efforts to discover what has made some many of these iconic models and properties tick for over 40 years revealing the truths about them and gaining my respect along the way. Part of the problem is that we make this future everyday and it's all unknown. The one thing I am certain of, if we go as a team and get it right, we will ALL benefit. (and when I get it wrong which I do from time to time nobody dies - an important point) :lol:

Regards.

Bernie (Captain Sci-Fi)

DX-SFX

Alphans
A polite "Hi there" has made me many friends, I offer the same friendship in return and I am only too happy to help and support others, I thrive on this community vibe.

Bernie hits nail on head. It costs nothing and wins friends. It's called common courtesy and I don't know many that don't respond to it. It's a two way street. Treat others as you'd like to be treated.

Becco_UK

Alphans
Captain Sci-Fi: Good luck with the project. As someone with limited real modelling abilities I for one like seeing how someone has tackled a model. So I hope you can find the time to update this post as and when you can.

The internet was not available years ago but today it is and has to be considered a valuable resource when used correctly :)

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Moving on....

Hi Guys,

I have been busy with work commitments so not had a chance to progress this any further. However, I have accepted an offer from Phil Rae to visit this coming weekend. He has a huge collection of material from all the series and has promised that we can spend time looking out as much reference as needed for Robert (actually several projects) so I will compile and post a drawing soon.

I don't anticipate any actual building until after Christmas. This will give plenty of time to iron out any issues arising.

The second part to this build is the Jetmobile. I have seen several excellent computer models on the net and will be sending my usual "Hi there" email to the owner/originator. There is a wonderful one illustrated by Mick Imrie here:

http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/GA/fireball-3d.html#jm

The whole site is chocked full of great computer models, I feel like a kid in a candy store :D

I have asked Mick if it is OK to repost his drawing so we can discuss the details here.

Meanwhile I will continue to crunch the numbers and puzzle out what I can already see.

Just to be sure, this is the very start of this project and a lot is still unknown. I will enjoy playing spot the part and dimensioning Robert, he is a firm favourite of mine.

ps, DVD box set on way.... :thumbup:

Cap'n

modelnutz7

Alphans
Hi Captain Sc-Fi,

I wish you well with this project, Robert Is a favourite of mine also and the Jetmoble too I would dearly love to see models of both.

Sincerely

Tom

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Plans are afoot and a hand and a leg....

Hi Tom,

Happy New Year :thumbup:

This is still an ongoing project believe me. I am gathering reference and have just bought some 8x10 B&W shots of out favourite robot from eBay.

I will be starting to draw him and offer this to the forum for debate in a few weeks as I am still reasoning out dimensions. A few good assumptions can be made from what I already have though:
His head is the same width as his upper body and two thirds the length, that kind of thing. It would be wide open if I knew with some certainty what dimension say a leg or arm tube was. I have an idea the elbow and shoulder disc's were 1/16th" thick material and the neck used 1/8th" but I need more time than I have just at the moment to check.

The Jetmobile seems to be quite well documented and I am happy the dimensions look good.

Watch this space :yes:

Best regards.

Cap'n

modelnutz7

Alphans
Happy New Year Cap'n.

I think I have a ref of Robert In an old Centurey 21 mag I will dig It out for you.
Also I remember that In Robert's body were a couple of toothpaste tube tops.

Sincerely

Tom

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Roberts got guts.....

Happy New Year Cap'n.

I think I have a ref of Robert In an old Centurey 21 mag I will dig It out for you.
Also I remember that In Robert's body were a couple of toothpaste tube tops.

Sincerely

Tom

Hi Tom,

Happy New Year to you :thumbup:

Any and all reference and help is appreciated, I want to make this replica as satisfying as possible. I have a few photos now showing the interior of his body I bought from a dealer in the USA - which is ironic really considering that the show was filmed less than 90 miles from where I live!! :lol:.

I am sure I recognise a few old radio parts too. I will make an attempt to scale the known parts to size and map out the unknown's.

When I get the chance I will scan and post my images here so we can give everyone something to look at and work with.

Thank you.

Cap'n

Last edited:

Becco_UK

Alphans
JD: Plans and scale drawings can be different things. Plans can have accurate measurements indicated but may not always be drawn to scale - scale drawings on the other hand should be drawn to scale.

mimrie

Alphans
Captain Sci-Fi,

Sorry just found this thread; brought back a few memories seeing that old model of mine linked to!. Feel free to use the images in any way you want (as long as you don't try to palm them off as fine art on e-bay:)) The Jetmobile was modelled from the DVDs and I certainly couldn't vouch for the accuracy; in fact I was rather dissapointed with the model which I always felt was a bit squashed looking. My 3d skills weren't all that special then either. I did make a Robert as well...

Similarly, I wouldn't want to claim it was especially accurate but if you're interested I could dig out the model and render some orthogonal projections.

Mick Imrie

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Echoes....

Hi Mick,

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

I have learned quite a bit myself since I saw your stuff. Many thanks for permission to post here I am sure there are a lot of folks who will be happy to see your work.

It was the Jetmobile images that inspired me to start this thread as it seemed the perfect way to display Robert.

The image you posted above is exactly what I'm talking about. It would be great if you could put up whatever you have in a 2D form. I have slowly been compiling a CAD myself with invaluable help from several forum members.

Just to remind everyone about Mick's work go look here:
http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/GA/fireball-3d.html#jm

I really appreciate this Mick and thank you.

Cap'n

paul gray

Forum Supporter
blimey, you're up really early or you haven't been to bed Bernie. the link you provided wouldn't let me access the page, don't know if that's just me. welcome Mike:thumbup:
cheers Paul

copernicus

Alphans
No I was'nt being serious but it just goes to show how nicce people are who visit this forum to make an offer such as that.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
The early bird has the baggiest eyes....

Hi Paul,

Yes, unfortunately I was up VERY early this AM, quoting on a big job on Monday and need to have cleared a few things by then. I am seriously considering taking someone on full time so I can concentrate on model making as much as I would like.

The link to Mick's stuff works for me, how odd? Try this:
http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/GA/ this takes you to Austin Tate's front page hit the Fireball XL5 link. There's all kinds of stuff worth looking at.

Copernicus,

I will be pointing my CAD software at all the Thunderbird stuff eventually and I will publish my plans here - (earlier comments taken with a pinch of salt - got it) :thumbup:
I should wear a badge that's says" I am old and confused, please don't wake me" :lol:

Finally, just ordered a stack of clear Acrylic tubing, all the likely sizes plus one or two unlikely ones. Some for the Ultraprobe build but the rest for a proving model of Robert.

Best for now.

Cap'n