Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Robert the Robot....

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
More info....

Hi Mick,

I see your Jetmobile and raise you another Jetmobile and two puppets in full colour :D

I spent the weekend with Phil Rae - his photo archive is all it's cracked up to be and then some. If you want full size hi-res images he is the man to talk to, he is a member here too - look for Deraenged if you want to PM him he sells this stuff.

Nice images from the Fireball XL5 promotion material, I was able to examine an original this weekend no photograph unfortunately but maybe I can work on Phil a bit more !

He has unpublished images you would not believe, here are a few samples from what he has given me, should help things along a bit :lol:

Looks to me as though Reg Hill made these from Balsa wood if you look really carefully you can see the wood grain through the paint around the pointed end. I so wanted one as a kid.

And this is for jaw dropping beauty of Fireball XL5, Phil has so much more.....

The semi-circular detail between the wing pod exhausts is new to me and you can clearly see the collection of tubes inside the main exhaust

And of course the star of the show:

Look carefully at the knee joint, it shows the spring arrangement that made up the arms and legs, small distance tubes between each of the discs spaced them nicely. A really clever design element.

Still no sign of the tube stock I ordered before I went away this weekend, I am NOT a patient person by nature ....

I still need to resolve a few issues before I can actually start building as follows:

Sizes:
I can't make my mind up whether Robert's arms and legs use the same size tube, I was convinced they were the same but seeing more images I am now not so sure. It could be a case of differing puppets as I am sure there was more than one. I will mock up a set and try to compare to the good images I have via Photoshop. Also, his finished size still perplexes me. He is shorter than Steve Zodiac and scaling from the toothpaste tube cap is just not accurate enough, anyone else have any idea how I can do this?

My CAD programme will be busy over the next week adding in details I have discovered thanks Phil, what would I do without you?

Cap'n

Last edited:

paulcarson

Alphans
The arms and legs look to me to be the same diameter Bernie. Some very nice images there too my thanks to both yourself and of course Phil for making those available. This project just took a turn in the "very interested " direction.( for me anyway)

You must have felt like a kid in a sweet shop at Phil's place bernie. I'd kill to see even a tenth of those images he has, I can only imagine some of the unreleased images he has , for sure I'll be lining up to snap some of them up if he makes them available . I'm betting that you managed to snag some reference for other projects you have on the back burner too ;)

Can't wait to see what your hours of work will turn into !

paulcarson

Alphans
Okay upon further inspection I'm of the opinion that the arms and the legs are different diameters !:lol: Only just slightly with the legs though. If there was a noticeable found part / greeblie there that measurements can be taken from it would speed things up a bit.

steve36uk

Alphans
Poking about in Photoshop with the image of Robert standing,the arm tubes are definitely smaller diameter than the legs-as the arms and legs are hanging almost in line there's very little foreshortening of the arms compared to the legs,so overlaying part of the arm onto the leg shows a definite difference in diameter.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Hobbyshed site....

Hi Rob,

I have been in touch with George a little while back, then his site was down for ages. Glad to see he's back. I'll resend my invitation to see if he would like to join in. :D

Thanks for the link.

Bernie.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
A breakthrough....

Hi Guys,

I have had a breakthrough with scaling the original puppet and I have just ordered the materials to start the prototype build model next week. In the meantime I thought I would share this:

He is exactly 20" tall (drawing shows 517.99 mm)

Works progresses with internal details and his Jetmobile.

Watch this space.

Cap'n

Last edited:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Legs and joints....

Hi Guys,

Time to reveal a trade secret look at this:

The spring like material puzzled me for a few weeks then I have a eureka moment. It's the stuff you use to hang net curtains with the plastic coating removed, dimensionally it's perfect. I am betting they bought this from Woolworths in Slough (I bought mine from the local hardware store). Woolworth's must be long gone now but Derek Meddings mentioned it a few times in documentaries, I wonder if anyone could find an old photograph? :D

The tubes for his arms and legs arrive tomorrow - I am like a kid at Christmas.

More parts that I managed to knock out today, the edges are not perfect because I couldn't reset the Laser from the job it was currently cutting, but I could not wait either :lol:

The distance spaces between the panels are tiny but the laser managed. By tomorrow I will be able to do the wrong trousers joke. :D

Cap'n

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Arms and legs....

Poking about in Photoshop with the image of Robert standing,the arm tubes are definitely smaller diameter than the legs-as the arms and legs are hanging almost in line there's very little foreshortening of the arms compared to the legs,so overlaying part of the arm onto the leg shows a definite difference in diameter.

Hi Steve,

I agree and thanks for double checking. Once I made the breakthrough and finalised his dimensions I realised there is a 1/4" difference between the two.

Now that I have moved forward with Robert it's time to look at his Jetmobile again. Any one have a clue which colour he actually rides? Having come so far I want him to be perfect. :D

Cap'n

Starman

Alphans
Hello, this is George here, I made the Robert model featured on the Hobbyshed site. I made it about 8 years ago but since the release of the DVD's I have made many improvements to the cad drawings. I also have started building a studio sized version and again along with a Jetmobile, but at the moment I am just collecting the materials together so hope to start constructing soon. It good to see someone else having a go and I look forward to more pics/updates in the future.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Hobbyshed is here....

Hi George,

So glad you stopped by it's great to see you. We might be able to help each other a little if you like. If you are making a Studio Scale Robert I can definitely help you. Is your Hobby Shed email address working?
Perhaps you could drop me a mail at:

bernie.walsh@mac.com

I think your build is fantastic and look forward to seeing your progress on the next Robert build. :thumbup:

Cap'n

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Update 11/02/2010

Hi Guys,

I have started to cut parts and test assemble Robert's legs. I learned a few things:

I added a 6 mm tube for the Net curtain wire to run through his leg sections, this would stop any curving within the section as he is posed. Secondly it is possible to add a section of piano wire through the centre of the curtain wire so he will be able to stand unaided. The tube end caps have to be fitted to the outside edge rather than within the tube diameter and lastly, be sure that everything is perfectly free from dust before you assemble anything.

I have started to work out the geometry for his hand mechanism. To knock up a quick form I cut and stacked multiple parts from thin acrylic. A few adjustments to the CAD drawing will mean he can close his hand, he can't at the moment because I left one of the edges too long. I will eventually cut each hand segment from very thick Perspex so no layered joints as can be seen here:

I think it all looks good so far. I have been having a few off board conversations with George Bagley he has sent me a copy of his CAD drawing (George is a Jedi CAD master) and we are comparing notes. I am rechecking all my data as George is convinced Robert is taller than I have him Illustrated. Phil Rae tells me that some of the very early puppets were made over 1/3 scale and that could be throwing me off. I may have to revise the height to 22" but I am still studying this. So far all I have cut is 12" of tube so no disaster. I may end making two versions to compare them.

All the tubes for his body and arms have just been delivered so I need to get this resolved as I am anxious to finish the build. :D

Cap'n

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Robert continues....

Hi Guys,

I have had a good long look at the drawings supplied by George Bagley. His most excellent work has made me rethink all that I thought I knew and the scaling I used to base my own CAD plans around.

Originally I had thought the long spring used to hold his arms and legs together was found in the net curtain cord. I have had a fruitless search to see if a similar material is available in other dimensions with no luck. At only 3 mm without the plastic coating it is too thin for Georges given height at 24" So what could be causing this 4" difference in height?

After mulling it over I decided to look at any other material used in this fashion all I could come up with which seemed to fit the bill was the brake cable outer sleeve from a bicycle. Halfords, a well known retailer in the UK sells just the outer part which is stated at 6mm. I will buy a length tomorrow and strip off the plastic coating to check.

I have also spent quite a bit of time searching for the electrical components hinted at by George. One of the devices in Roberts lower torso is a series of black discs arranged in a row on a threaded rod. I have seen this before in an old aviation radio, it could be one of two possibilities. Either a Selenium rectifier or a tuning capacitor. My knowledge of electronics is pretty basic so if I can't find a suitable part soon I will cut my losses and scratch build it. The vintage sized resistors are easy enough to find.

There are also a couple of panel mounted rocker type switches mounted so you see the rear of the switch body, I will log in and start searching through the RS Components web site for something comparable. Also on the hit list is the silver perforated tube in his chest. It is not as I first thought a perforated zinc sheet used to repair and strengthen fibreglass. I am almost certain this was a valve jacket from an amplifier valve (radio tube). Again if I can't find a likely candidate I will scratch build it.

Work continues....

Cap'n

Becco_UK

Alphans
Captain Sci-Fi: I still remember watching Fireball XL5 when it was first screened and the robot comes to mind all these years after first seeing 'him'. I hope you track down the parts to finish.

The peforated part looks like it could have been the centre from from an engine air or oil filter? Thrown hundreds away over the years!

modelnutz7

Alphans
Robert the robot

Hi Capt'n This is easy the viewer was used for the viewscreen on the rotating scanner of Prof. Matic's.

Best Tom:)

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Just for laughs....

Hi modelnutz7,

You got it :clap:

As far as I can tell this is the item used to build Professor Matt Matic's Scanner/Viewscreen. Clever and creative people worked at AP Films and I delight at discoveries like this.

Cap'n

Starman

Alphans
Yes Bernie the component made up of discs is indeed a selenium rectifier, I have seen many of these in the past and somewhere I have a manufacturers catalogue with pics of these. Some are made of square plates as well as the type with round discs. Starman.

Last edited by a moderator: