Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Round 2 22" eagle

Yep - they look great and no-one would know they aren't turned metal

Well...I KNOW now...!!;):lol: Looks good mate, but you know, to each his own, and I will OWN a set in about 2 weeks...! Something about the weight and feel of real metal just adds a certain, je ne sais qua, if ya know what I mean...?

Cheers,
Laurie

Planet3

Forum Supporter
I have ordered a set of metal engine bells 'cos I have never had an Eagle with them on and it just seems to be more authentic to have them if you can. Having said that, I am well impressed by the finish that Boldman has got with the Alcad paints and I think I would have tried them first if I had seen his photo's before ordering!

I have ordered a set of metal engine bells 'cos I have never had an Eagle with them on and it just seems to be more authentic to have them if you can. Having said that, I am well impressed by the finish that Boldman has got with the Alcad paints and I think I would have tried them first if I had seen his photo's before ordering!

I agree Planet 3...HEY that rhymes...! Same here in a way, but I also had them on order.

LT

Liberator

Alphans
Great work Boldman - specifically which alclad paints did you use? Difficult getting them here downunder well in the cuontry areas it is - went to our local hobby shop to ask about alclad paints and the comment was 'never heard of them'

Boldman

Alphans
They were all base coated with the ALcad gloss black and then I used chrome on them, although a couple of the larger bells got aluminium as an experiment. The baffles had aluminium base with a dusting of burnt metal and jet exhaust

They were all base coated with the ALcad gloss black and then I used chrome on them, although a couple of the larger bells got aluminium as an experiment. The baffles had aluminium base with a dusting of burnt metal and jet exhaust

Good info sir on the Alclad. Valejo has come out with their version of metallic paints and they are Acrylic so less "smelly"...! They have all t he base colours you would need, aluminum, gunmetal, exhaust manifold, Duraluminum, etc.

Check them out at the Valejo site might be easier to source "danunda"...!;)

laurie

Good info sir on the Alclad. Valejo has come out with their version of metallic paints and they are Acrylic so less "smelly"...! They have all t he base colours you would need, aluminum, gunmetal, exhaust manifold, Duraluminum, etc.

Check them out at the Valejo site might be easier to source "danunda"...!

laurie
Great work Boldman - specifically which alclad paints did you use? Difficult getting them here downunder well in the cuontry areas it is - went to our local hobby shop to ask about alclad paints and the comment was 'never heard of them'

Planet3

Forum Supporter
Hi Boldman, where can you get the Alcad metallic paints from. Did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything!!

Hi Boldman, where can you get the Alcad metallic paints from. Did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything!!

Hey Planet 3, that's odd considering Alclad was invented in England before the new Millenium...!! I think it was 1999 or so.

Check Hiroboy

LT

Planet3

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the info Boldman. I checked the web site and turns out there is a stockist a few miles down the road from me in Longton. Guess where I'm going Monday!

Alclad is produced in the US under a different company 'candy colour" I think? As an custom automotive lacquer.
The UK company imports it and rebrands as Alclad model paints.
To be fair it is an excellent paint and I use the Matt Black Micro Filler Primer over Halfords Spray cans as it works out far cheaper.
But you don't have to use it Humbrol polished Aluminium (over black) works equally as well. Spray over black
, thinned 60-40 with Humbrol thinners, leave for 30-45mins and then polish with a soft cloth.

Planet3

Forum Supporter
Alclad is produced in the US under a different company 'candy colour" I think? As an custom automotive lacquer.
The UK company imports it and rebrands as Alclad model paints.
To be fair it is an excellent paint and I use the Matt Black Micro Filler Primer over Halfords Spray cans as it works out far cheaper.
But you don't have to use it Humbrol polished Aluminium (over black) works equally as well. Spray over black
, thinned 60-40 with Humbrol thinners, leave for 30-45mins and then polish with a soft cloth.

Excellant! Thanks for the info. Never used these before, so I'm going to need a bit of practice on some spare kit parts first.

Jade Falcon

Alphans
Been a long time since I was last here, but is anyone aware of any alternative (and cheaper) stockists of this in the UK?

Apart from the price point I just don't TRUST Forbidden Planet now. Three times they have taken orders (and money) from me, then the item mysteriously goes out of stock never to appear again.

The most angersome thing is that one time it was a collectible Mass Effect figure that I had the opportunity to get a bit more expensive than what FP wanted but it quickly sold out.

On all occasions I did get a refund, but I don't like that tactic and they've burned their bridges with me.

Boldman

Alphans
Alternative suppliers are Timeless Hobbies, WOnderland Models and Mr Models off the top of my head. Other model shops may have them as well