Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Rupert Square and Hobbs Lane

Sky1Driver

Alphans
I was watching one of my favorite Hammer films, "Five Million Years To Earth" or "Quatermass and the Pit."

It looks like Hobbs Lane in the film eventually was redressed and became Rupert Square for UFO. FMYTE was filmed at MGM British Studios in Borehamwood in 1967, and UFO in 1969. I think it is. What convinced me is that corner store that is painted a dark gray. Anyone else have any thoughts?

If this was brought up before, my apologies!

Attachments

• Quatermass1.jpg
    Quatermass1.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Quatermass2.jpg
    Quatermass2.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Quatermass3.jpg
    Quatermass3.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 20
  • UFO2.jpg
    UFO2.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 28
  • UFO1.a.jpg
    UFO1.a.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
I'd agree with you it certainly seems to be the same set albeit the usual changes made over time. Certain marks/faults on the brick work do match up.
I too love Quatermass and the Pit after seeing it on tv a long time ago possibly on the BBC around midnight. It scared me out of my wits then and even today its still has an effect.

badsimmonds

Alphans
I'd agree with you it certainly seems to be the same set albeit the usual changes made over time. Certain marks/faults on the brick work do match up.
I too love Quatermass and the Pit after seeing it on tv a long time ago possibly on the BBC around midnight. It scared me out of my wits then and even today its still has an effect.

Dorzac

Alphans
That's a pretty good spot. The shops window shape (large bottom pane/small top pane) seems to match. I notice in the UFO long shot the brickwork seems to have a mark BR corner of the sign (almost a dark vertical line), which is not visible in the close up ..

I too love Quatermass & The Pit, early appearance for Gareth Thomas (Roj Blake, Blakes 7) and not forgetting Grant Taylor (UFO, Gen Henderson) as the scared Policeman ("Kids sir ... kids playin' around made em!")

Now if they could have just spent a bit more for the Mars memory "special effects" ... :/

Dorzac

Alphans
Looking in my Complete Book Of UFO by Chris Bentley for the episode "Exposed", it states

"The Rupert Square set where Foster meets Straker was a standing set on the MGM British Studios backlot originally constructed in April 1966. It had previously appeared in several episodes of "The Prisoner", most notably as the deserted village of "Witchwood" in "The Girl Who Was Death"

tryptych

Alphans
Studios tended to have both standing sets and a bunch of stock flats and sections that they can "mix and match" to create scenes. Elstree, Shepperton and Pinewood all had their go-to street scenes. A classic Shepperton one used in "Dr Who and the Daleks" was reused regularly in everything from period costume drama to war films.

Sky1Driver

Alphans
Did more screengrabs from FMYTE and UFO.

Screengrabs Quatermass5 and 6 are the beginning and end of a sequence where Quatermass' taxi is seen driving down the street, and stops in front of the corner store (Hobbs Lane). It takes place 34 minutes into the film. I added color circles to the corresponding features from UFO and FMYTE.

The same goes when the camera tracks Foster as he is standing in Rupert Square waiting for Straker in the episode "Exposed." Attached is a publicity photo of the two.

The last photo is an aerial shot of the city street set on the MGM British Studios at Borehamwood. Taken in the early 1960s, the corner store and Hobbs End underground station have not been built yet.

After all my detective work, I discovered a Facebook page for the Borehamwood studio. Great photos and information from UFO, The Prisoner and 2001 (that aerial shot came from the page). I could have asked someone if Rupert Square was Hobbs Lane, but there is enough evidence that it is.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/304900139547511/?_fb_noscript=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&set=gm.2654774591226709&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Attachments

• Quatermass5 copy.jpg
    Quatermass5 copy.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Quatermass6 copy.jpg
    Quatermass6 copy.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 11
  • UFO4 copy.jpg
    UFO4 copy.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 12
  • UFO5 copy.jpg
    UFO5 copy.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 11
  • foster_straker_rupert copy.jpg
    foster_straker_rupert copy.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Street copy.jpg
    Street copy.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

tryptych

Alphans
Great detective work.
The one thing that doesn't ring true with the UFO scenes is when was the last time you saw a London street completely devoid of vehicles?

tryptych

Alphans
Great detective work.
The one thing that doesn't ring true with the UFO scenes is when was the last time you saw a London street completely devoid of vehicles?