Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

S.I.D Kit mapping and build thread....

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Hi Guys,

Below you will see a CAD drawing for SID. This is something I developed on and off over the last couple of month's or so based on the Airfix B29 Superfortress and the other Anderson favourite kits, The HO/OO scale Railway Footbridge & HO/OO Girder Bridge, the photo's show what I am using.

As usual I offer my drawing in the spirit of free information and for the greater good and will acknowledge everyone's input on the contributors list for anyone with additional useful information to help improve this drawing or kit part discovery.

I can provide the following formats free of charge to anyone who wants to build their own model: DXF, DWG, & JPEG. This will be available and updated after publication via email if needed or as anything unknown becomes discovered.

I will be providing a kit of EMA and laser cut parts forming all the main assemblies including panels, tubes, domes and some brass assemblies for the various structures & antenna's etc. once I have finalised the design.

I will not be offering any recast plastic kit parts, I am sure these will be available if you want them, just not from me. I will however be providing a complete listing with quantities used and their placement. Send me an email and I will return the file to you, alternatively I will be offering a full scale measured drawing with my kit.

I have been greatly encouraged with the genuine help and co-operation of members here but I need to politely ask that we stay on topic with this one please. I am hoping to make a build article from this project and hopefully as we progress through various subjects build up a library of Anderson Subjects. I am doing this so anyone who follows this build and wants to attempt this subject won't have to start from a blank sheet.

First the drawing, Known parts are highlighted in red and were used to scale from photographs to dimension the model:

Here are the kits I mentioned from Airfix, note the parts highlighted as these are the ones I used to scale the model. This is not a perfect science but it's a good place to start and surprisingly accurate. The second B29 part was offered by Phil Rae (Cheers Phil) and slotted right into the drawing first time.

Airfix what would we do without you? Several boxed examples, the front one is the 1970's issue, there is a bagged version and Dapol issued a version in later years, any will do it's all the same kit.:

This was the dimensioned part that I used primarily to scale from the photo reference I had a very important find. This detail was also used on the rear deck of Skydiver I believe:

Here is the latest issue of the B29 with the offending sprue, I only have the one but there will be a few more before I am done:

And the detail that Phil made known to me. This is used on SID's neck collar:

The following images are from the famous attack scene when SID gets clobbered by a UFO. As the shadows pass across his surface details reveal themselves, you can see the footbridge parts with their pyramidal shape in pairs on his main body. The B29 collar part is used in several places also The other side is a mirror of these details also:

I've made a start lets see how far we can go together. :D

Cap'n

Great stuff. This is definitely a project I would like to do and would like to be onboard to have a go after I finish my Eagle Laser Tank.

Cheers

Tony

Dave

Alphans
SID would make a good model (studio scale). BUT it only seems to look good from one angle - and that's the 3/4 angle mostly seen on screen and publicity photos. I think side on, top or bottom on it isn't an appealing design (in my opinion)

CaptanApollo

Alphans
Great project, many years ago i started a studio scale SID, its still in the garage, one day i will finish it.In terms of kit parts used an old favorite, the honest john is used, the rear mudguard, is on the lower box module, along with the cabin back, this is also on the inside face of the jaws. on the out side of the jaws is the gun shield from the airfix 88 mm gun. The cones on the back of the high gain antanaes are Revel command module parts. Will follow your progress with great interest Capt .

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Additional information....

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the encouragement so far:

I forgot to mention something that Phil Rae told me, The Moonbase interceptor was able to dock with SID something along the lines of Thunderbird 3 and Thunderbird 5.

That is the reason for the clamp type mandibles at the front underside of the dome. There is a part on the plan that looks like a funnel, it has a fluted edge within it that would accept a splined shaft. I am wondering if the missile base of the Interceptor would fit there? I will post a picture tomorrow to explain what I mean.

CaptanApollo:
Blow off the dust and take a picture or two, I have started a study model to prove geometry and dimensions it would be great to compare and firm up what guesswork. I have a couple of questions if you could confirm for me please:
Are you referring to:
The Revell Honest John Kit kit no: H-1821:169 (first issue) later 90's issue also?
The Airfix HO/OO scale 88mm Gun and Tractor Set?
The Revell 1/32 Apollo Command Module?
I need to be very explicit in the kit descriptions as confusion can lie in the scale or even the issue. DX-SFX has taught me to be exact in this due to "retooling" issues on some releases and I want to be as accurate as possible.
I don't have any of these kits - I will need to go shopping again. :D

Dave:
SID has beauty sides that is true but he is still one of my all time favourites.

Cap'n

CaptanApollo

Alphans
UPC, lifelike honest john. their are also 2 Airfix sherman tank turrets ,on each side of the main hull ,wires from the solar panels go into these parts. Parts on antanae, from 96 scale apollo spacecraft by Revel And yes airfix 88 mm gun and tractor set . Capt

HUNCH

Alphans
I was just thinking last night of what kit or replica to make after I'm done with my little SKY 1, and was tossing around the idea of SID. Then I wake up and log on here and there it is! Weird!
Studio scale would be too big I think (3 feet + ? ) so mine would be scaled down.
By the way, what B-29 pc is used around the collar. Doesn't look like the one pointed out.
Cool plan as well!

a small studio sid was used in the show it was just a bit smaller than the size of the shado mobile look at the picture of derek medding with the sky 1 a small sid is in the background just above the shado mobile

HUNCH

Alphans
a small studio sid was used in the show it was just a bit smaller than the size of the shado mobile look at the picture of derek medding with the sky 1 a small sid is in the background just above the shado mobile

So there were two? I was using the math from the above diagram and am assuming its millimeters? As usual, I'm confused...:think::lol:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
SID's little brother....

Hi Guys,

I didn't know there was more than one model either but that's the reason I started this thread in the first place. :D

It is perfectly possible to make a model exactly half the size of the one drawn. The kit parts could be remade using the "Shrink Ray" RTV casting method developed by Alex Dumas and explained in his Swift thread. This basically involves using a white spirit mix in the base rubber, it's very clever and it works as he illustrates. This is a big hint to part casters, I said I wouldn't produce any cast parts but I would buy them if they were available, especially in the half scale. ;-)

In all of the photographs I have examined I have not noticed any deviation as is usual with differing models. The reference material even from Phil Rae's collection is fuzzy when enlarged to any useful extent. Maybe this accounts for an unnoticed half size model. I'll be open minded but something nags at the back of my mind here. It just doesn't sound cost effective to produce a model and not use it. I don't have that reference picture mentioned by stingray48442, could someone post it?

I have tracked down a few kit box illustrations to help anyone looking to source the kits:

My own kit hunting continues along with working through my EMA catalogue. EMA produce a dome which is exactly the right size for this scale, this is very good news. They also have the correct size tube for the neck and shoulder areas. As I am sure the model department used them extensively as a supplier, it is nice to prove the drawings accuracy with further checks as time reveals items.

Cap'n

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Dimension me this....

So there were two? I was using the math from the above diagram and am assuming its millimeters? As usual, I'm confused...:think::lol:

Hi Hunch,

SID's total length is 39 & 3/8" if that helps.

I was educated in both Imperial and Metric scales but most of my suppliers are now metric so I have to use millimetres. It sometimes is quite inconvenient.

I would say that all my measurements are subject to change unless I can gather proof to confirm them. This is difficult at the beginning but gets easier quite quickly thereafter as fixed dimensions are known. I need perhaps four or five more confirmations from the kit spotters here and I will be totally confident.

Cap'n

behind the scene photoes in mark martins ufo websight also a pic in the sci fi and fantacy ufo edition hope this helps out.steve

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
i think u r wrong on the revell apollo u posted....that used to be monograms and wasn't around wen ufo was made. they will have used the revell apollo spacecraft / lem kit 4 su....1/48 scale and 1/96

Last edited:

paul gray

Forum Supporter
hi Bernie
what a wonderful project, always wanted one of these so count me in please. i have an honest john kit you can borrow for this project, i will send it up to you this week. also did your pod arrive?
keep up the good work
cheers Paul

Yep, the Revell/Monogram CSM is 1/32 scale, just recently re-released. Revell had a 1/96 version both in their full Saturn V kit and available as a seperate CSM/LM kit.
There was also a pretty hard to get (only re-released once about 15 years ago) 1/48 kit that was the entire upper part of the Saturn V from the escape tower down to the Lm and its protective shroud.

So if you are talking a Revell CSM part it is a good idea to nail down the scale and the release. I have the 1/32 and 1/48 versions plus if you wish a determination on kit release dates give me a year the SID would have been built and I can look it up in Mat Irvines' "Creating Space" reference book.

Cheers

Tony

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Outstanding....

here u go

Hi Guys,

I have several things to note from this photo:

1/ Thanks Phil, couldn't do this stuff without you :thumbup:

2/ It is half size - no doubt, look carefully at the dirt on the pressure sphere, fingerprints I think.

3/ The sphere itself look a bit small to me - out of scale with the body.

4/ The upper most dish antenna seems to be a flat disc rather than convex, also the mounting cone for the dish is very big...

5/ I am beginning to wonder if it might be a model built & rigged for just the explosion scene, made up quickly rather than damage the bigger prop? Time to play that scene again frame by frame.

What Happened to the Lunar Module??? One bubble canopy is missing you can see it's unpainted dark outline. :shock:

stingray48442: Really good spot there :thumbup:

I need to study the comments that people have made regards the kits I posted. That's why I posted the box illustrations - thanks guys another fortune saved. I am thinking that it will be spent trying to buy the right kits though - ouch :lol:

It can be so confusing as I never collected real space or military kits until I joined this forum my knowledge of release dates is hazy at best. I have to rely on the forum experts here If anyone can post the box illustrations in question (with alternatives if known) it would really help prevent a lot of wild goose chasing. Also it's nice for nostalgia/posterity :D

Paul Gray: A loan of the kit would be most welcome thank you. I will look after it and return it after measurements and photographs. Also the POD arrived safe and well, PM on it's way. :D

Cap'n

Bernie,
Above the Honest john fender there is the rear of the trailer from the 1 /40 life like/ upc Long tom, some Revell Gemini 1/24 (same piece as on the eagle leg pods on the front collar) and on the back of Sid the Scammell tank transporter (trailer) cut up on there as well, and from memory about 4 airfix signal gantry kits. Next to the footbridge plates are bits from a girder bridge kit (Main cross brace girder beam)

sorry its not signal gantry, it's footbridges that you would need, and about 3 Airfix B29s and a lifelike 1/40 tilly 120mm gun (god the kit list for that will be expensive) good luck and so soon after Xmas

If you have a copy of the UFO special issue of SFFM it has the complete version of that picture and another slightly diferent one.

Cheers

Tony