Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

S.I.D plan and kit of parts....

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Hi Guys,

I am preparing a full scale 1:1 measured CAD drawing of S.I.D. as per my build thread. It will show all views in sections to aid the scratch builder and UFO fan how to build a SID model of their own.

I am also preparing a kit of parts to build this model studio scale at just about 973 mm (38") in length. The kit will include everything to build the main structure up to the kit detailing stage and will include a complete list of known detail kits and parts placement. The contents will include: Domes, Tubes, Laser Cut Panels, wire, cast items and the measured plan.

Prices:
The price for the plan and kit option all depend on numbers, please help me to help you by adding your name here. I am not asking for a binding commitment just to work out how much I can beat up my suppliers so we all benefit:

1. Captain Sci-Fi Kit & Plan (full option)

Last edited:

Lee S

Alphans
I base kit would be great for me! I'm in!

2, LeeS Kit & Plan (full option)

Guest01

Alphans
2, LeeS Kit & Plan (full option)
3, Areteecee (full option)

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Answers to questions....

Hi Guys,

Several people have asked me the following so it's easier to make replies here.

No Fibreglass - sorry.
I don't like to cast parts unless I really, really have to and there is no need for this model.

Solar panels.
The solar panel arrays will be sheet material specifically engraved to do the job. This is to keep the weight down and to provide a tiled effect so detail painting is made much easier. I have bought some tiled plastic card from EMA but it is so expensive that it's a non starter. Other EMA parts are included in the planned kit.

Domes and cones.
I am using EMA domes for the prototype model but again these will probably be vac formed in thick Styrene sheet to reduce the cost. The plan states an EMA part number as an option.
The VC60 part for the collar assembly is disappointing in form and really expensive to say the least, another candidate for vac forming I think, please see this photo it shows the problem:

External view shows ridges which deform the external finish, interesting but not what we want for SID.

Here is why the outside is rippled there are ridges as part of the moulding not the best design EMA. I could sand the surface smooth but it's just as easy to make a tool and vac my own (cheaper too if enough people want a kit).:

Along side the EMA cone you can see a part from the Airfix 88mm Gun and Tractor kit my very good friend Alfalfa sent me (cheers mate :thumbup:) The part in question appears on SID's nose just in front of his mandibles - check my drawing.

Some parts will need to be cut to size:
I will supply the correct size but for some parts, brass tube, some EMA parts, kit part modifications etc. will need to be done by the builder. This may include putting a small radius and sanding parts to finished size from strip material.

Anything that needs to "engineered" I will provide as a finished part either laser cut or "off the shelf" like EMA.

I have put a tender out to several repro houses to cost the drawing production and should have costs back today. It's a BIG plan set but for me it's the only way to go.

More posts later.

Cap'n

Last edited:

Propland

Chief Eagle Pilot
2. LeeS Kit & Plan (full option)
3. Areteecee (full option)
4. Propland (full option)
5. Propland (full option)

Last edited:

steve36uk

Alphans
6. Steve36uk(full option)

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
7.DERAENGED....THE WHOLE 9 YDS

Satazius

Alphans
Yikes.

8. Satazius Kit and Plan (full option)

6. Skyfullofstars(full option)

Interceptor6

Alphans
Hey Bernie, Are we stopping at 25??
9. Skyfullofstars(full option)
10. Interceptor 6 (ditto)

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Limited Edition....

Hi Guys,

I am prepared to offer 50 kits only.

This is because by sheer coincidence I have a very special birthday on Feb 11th (Yikes - next week) :shock:

The drawings however will be available to whoever would like one from now till my next 50th birthday..! :lol:

I am planning to have the drawings output on film rather than paper to further enhance the collector factor, this will only be available to the kit buyers.
This will not add to the kit price, it's a thank you present from me to the board members.

I had a sample run up just for fun. It is UV safe and as stable as it gets. It is also wipe clean and waterproof in case an errant child decides to pour juice, mashed potato or that disgusting Heinz stuff all over it.

It's also perfect for framing and that's what I plan for mine. :D

I'll post a picture later.

Cap'n

Guest01

Alphans
so Bernie are you saying you are turning THE BIG 50 next week? lol All the very best in advance and have a great day ,just incase i forget lol

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Shhhhhh it's the worlds worse kept secret.....

ummmmmm.....

Who are you again?

Where did I put my glasses?

:D

Cap'n

w8cmp

Alphans
7. Deraenged....(full option)
10. Interceptor 6 (full option)
11. W8CMP (full option)

HUNCH

Alphans
Will the plan option show 1/1 pics of the actual kit parts so they can be scratch built? I'd have to build mine half scale do to space.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Pint sized parts and BIG IMAGE PHOTOS....

Hi Hunch,

WARNING: MATERIAL IS OF HEAVY IMAGE NATURE....

I was planning to CAD everything, parts an all. I can output a half scale kit if you would like one. All the EMA parts translate down no problem, that's the main reason I use them. A half scale drawing is easy enough in fact, I should have thought of offering this in the first place as an option. Thanks Hunch :thumbsup:

To help anyone who needs to do what Hunch is atempting lets start with the Honest John kit lent to me by my good friend Paul Gray, cheers Paul. :thumbup:

This will be good to help ID parts used and remove the guess work if more eyes are looking :

And for a little fun, can you identify where these parts are used:

This is just for fun but a smartie pants award is at stake. :D

Cap'n

JD

Alphans
And for a little fun, can you identify where these parts are used

EVERYWHERE!! :lol:

Seriously, I think it was an in-house joke to use the square part/s on every single UFO miniature!

Mobile cab; rear of Skydiver, small Lunar Module, and Interceptor.

The long part is on the Mobile cab, the rear of the Moon Mobile, and the Interceptor (side intakes).

And the wheel turns up on the rear of the Moon Mobile!

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
JD has the right stuff....

EVERYWHERE!! :lol:
Seriously, I think it was an in-house joke to use the square part/s on every single UFO miniature!
Mobile cab; rear of Skydiver, small Lunar Module, and Interceptor.
The long part is on the Mobile cab, the rear of the Moon Mobile, and the Interceptor (side intakes).
And the wheel turns up on the rear of the Moon Mobile!

Hi JD,

Please collect your Smartie Pants award from Moonbase where Gay Ellis will present it to you in person. :D

You watch too much TV. :lol:

Cap'n

pjskeldon

Alphans
7. Deraenged....(full option)
10. Interceptor 6 (full option)
11. W8CMP (full option)
12. pjskeldon (full option)