Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Scratch build advice TB2 paint colour

umotogp

Alphans
You need to use the "insert image" button on the top of the text editor, or use the [image] tags

I have tried using the insert image, but it asks for a url which I don't have, so I've used the attach button which normally works, but for some reason it didn't, has now though, although their small not as large as others have posted

Boldman

Alphans
Don't use Photobucket unless you are willing to pay them $400 per year to be able to display your images on another site!

tryptych

Alphans
Actually, if you read the small print on this forum, the same is also true.
If you post anything on the internet, you do so at the risk of spreading it across the world without intellectual property rights. Ho-hum.

umotogp

Alphans
I'm now totally confused with this paint colour, after watching the tv show, looking at countless photos of the tv series and model makers creations, and being advised on the colour I'm now none the wiser, these are my choices, before weathering I must add and it will be matt not gloss, but the photo with the fuselage is the recommended and the pod is my own choice, darkened/weathered I think is more like the real colour, all opinions welcome
:wtf:

20170727_143327.jpg

20170727_165843.jpg

tryptych

Alphans
I think it is well known that there were many models made of TB2, two in particular that not only varied in colour but also shape and markings, and Derek Meddings said himself the later version never looked quite right to him. I get the impression the paint colour itself never changed over the series, but because of changes in photographic exposure, film stock and other variables, it could often appear quite different.

Personally, I prefer a "yellow-green" as opposed to a "blue-green", but I think a lot will ultimately end up as personal taste. One thing I would say though is it was never glossy. Much closer to a "satin" or "silk" finish semi-gloss, but remember the "dirtying-down" should always be matte, (except for oily areas like the lifting rams), and a general coating of muck is going to reduce both shininess and saturation, (brilliance of colour).

I discovered this myself with the Elevator cars where they stated a Ford Carnival Red, (often used on emergency vehicles, and probably TB3 too) which is bright, saturated and very red, not the burnt orange I expected, but once a) the dirt, and b) the film stock, are added the original colour changes dramatically to what you would expect to see.

One final thing, try to work from the latest HD BluRays that have been mastered from the original 35mm negatives, DO NOT use stills, as these are often taken with a still camera using different film and exposures.