Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Scratch built SS 2001 Moon Bus

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Hi Joeb,

I love this kind of modelling, you start with sheet material and kit parts and watch it take shape right before your eyes. Fantastic stuff. :thumbup:

It's a pretty inspirational thing to watch this, I can't imagine anyone who follows this build that wouldn't want to try to make one for themselves or at least use these methods to make a favourite model subject.

Anything is possible and that's the exciting thing for me.

joeb

Alphans
Thanks tablecloth and welcome to the forum. Thank you Captain Sci-Fi for the comments. I hope people find this build helpful. I also love following a good build thread because there is always something new to learn.

I'm almost caught up with the pictures to where the model is now, only a couple more posts. I want to be able to put the side windows in as a complete assembly after the model is painted so I built a frame around each window frame and installed small brass screws to hold them. I don't want to risk glue smudges so hence the number of screws. The piece of Acrylic is a drill template to bore matching holes in the assembly once they’re built. The hull has the top sides attached and trimmed and here it it with the old hull. I'm kind of glad for the design overhaul because that hull had a lot wrong with it construction wise.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1654copy.jpg
    IMG_1654copy.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1655copy.jpg
    IMG_1655copy.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1656copy.jpg
    IMG_1656copy.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1661copy.jpg
    IMG_1661copy.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 60

joeb

Alphans
Thanks Lars. This post will catch the model up to the first post. These are of the hull sheeting going on. That was a lot of fun and I mean that, no sarcasm. I could slowly see the model go from brown to white and finally start looking like the moon bus.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1679copy.jpg
    IMG_1679copy.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1675copy.jpg
    IMG_1675copy.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1671copy.jpg
    IMG_1671copy.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1668copy.jpg
    IMG_1668copy.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1666copy.jpg
    IMG_1666copy.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1665copy.jpg
    IMG_1665copy.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1664copy.jpg
    IMG_1664copy.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1662copy.jpg
    IMG_1662copy.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 24

joeb

Alphans
I work on the model mostly on the weekend and a little during the week after work if I'm lucky. A couple of weeks ago I started on the rear bulkhead. I first had to lay out where everything goes. Then I made two vacuum form forms (bucks) for the rear thrusters. They proved to be tricky because they're small. I wanted to make more than I needed but during machining I used up most of my blank stock. Damn dyslexia and setting the miter gauge wrong, twice. Anyway, I ended up with only the two I needed , a left and a right. I finally got to use my vacuum former that I made about two years ago and it worked great. You heat the plastic on the right and then swing the frame over to the left and the plastic seals against the platen., then you turn a valve and the air under the platen escapes into a ten gallon air tank that as be evacuated. Atmospheric pressure does the rest. The two thruster “cups” will be let into the hull. I did that this weekend and will post those pics soon.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1689copy.jpg
    IMG_1689copy.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1688copy.jpg
    IMG_1688copy.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1686copy.jpg
    IMG_1686copy.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1685copy.jpg
    IMG_1685copy.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1683copy.jpg
    IMG_1683copy.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1682copy.jpg
    IMG_1682copy.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1681copy.jpg
    IMG_1681copy.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 16

joeb

Alphans
Here are the rest of the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1696copy.jpg
    IMG_1696copy.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1695copy.jpg
    IMG_1695copy.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1694copy.jpg
    IMG_1694copy.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1692copy.jpg
    IMG_1692copy.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1691copy.jpg
    IMG_1691copy.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1690copy.jpg
    IMG_1690copy.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 34

MADsen

Alphans
True master...

Hi.. Joe... :thumbup:

You are a true master...:clap::thumbup:

And I can´t wait to start my self on my 44" Eagle build... But I still have some home improvements to complet before I can start... ( misses request..)

But it won´t be long now...

I will also upload some pictures as build comes along.. ( it will be my first in resin, carbonfiber, butyrate and so forth..)

joeb

Alphans
Well thank you Lars, that's very kind. I look forward to seeing your build. If I can be of any help just let me know.

Joe

MADsen

Alphans
Hi.. Joe....:thumbup:

A O Kay... I´ll take you up on that...:thumbup:

I´m still gathering parts for my 44" Eagle, but it comes along now...

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
That "mousetrap" vac former is neat, I used a home brewed version for a year before I bought a Formech unit, mostly I was happy with it and it's great satisfaction to make your own tools. If I remember I used a plan from a book but just can't lay my hands on it just now. Every workshop needs one, they are very useful and not that hard to make.

I have wanted to get back to my Space Station V model for a year but just don't have enough free time as yet, I will one day.

joeb

Alphans
"Mouse trap" is a very appropriate name for that vac former. I've never thought of that before, thanks Captain. I can't wait to get more use out of it. For those who are interested, the plans came from build-stuff.com. Lars, I have another posts worth of pictures then you are going to have to wait for me to do more work because I'm completely caught up. I'll post them tomorrow if I can but it wont be until the weekend until I can do any work on the model.

Joe

joeb

Alphans
Hi every one. Here are photos of last weekend work. I'm going to move onto the bumped out part of the rear bulk head next. It's always slow going when I start on a new area but I have a plan which is half the battle, and once I get going and get my head wrapped around it, things should progress smoothly. Okay we all know that that is probably not going to happen but please don't pop my bubble.

Thanks Healvis.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1706copy.jpg
    IMG_1706copy.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1705copy.jpg
    IMG_1705copy.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1703copy.jpg
    IMG_1703copy.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 22