Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Scratch built SS 2001 Moon Bus

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
Looks to me like you are gaining on it.

Watching this take shape is a real treat, keep posting those pictures (on behalf of myself and the silent majority). :thumbup:

It's difficult to know what else to write when you see someone who has a master talent at work, you have already made a lot of this look easy when I know it's actually not. So don't be fooled by silence, it's the collective quiet of a lot of people in awe (myself included) :D

joeb

Alphans
Thanks a lot Captain Sci-Fi, your reply means a great deal right now. The model isn't going has well as I would like. When do they ever? This phase is proving to be a real mental drain, by comparison the hull WAS easy. I still don't have a definitive plan for the rest of the front but I'm working on one. I'm also in kind of a slump and don't feel like doing much on it. This will pass and I'll figure it out eventually but in the mean time progress is going to be slow. Here are the latest photos. I temporarily attached the top front blank to the hull in order to sand the edges round. It still needs a little filling here and there but the over all shape is good.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1795copy.jpg
    IMG_1795copy.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1796copy.jpg
    IMG_1796copy.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1797copy.jpg
    IMG_1797copy.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 58

joeb

Alphans
Well it's been a while hasn't? I hit a brick wall with the front. I couldn't figure out how to proceed next and I was getting frustrated; that and it was too cold to work in the basement so I took some time off. A couple of weeks ago I bought some more rtv and urethane and I started to work on molding up some parts. I knew I could get something done on that front and besides it warmed up a lot and I was back “in the mood” to work on the model. The parts being worked on here are going to be the radius edges of the rear bulk head and the one that runs along the side of the hull. I think I posted pictures of the blanks being machined earlier. These parts need to be absolutely flat so I decided to make permanent mold boxes for them to better support the rtv. The blanks were double faced taped to the melamine covered mdf so they would lay flat. The tape proved to be a strong bond because you can see I destroyed one blank trying to remove it later. I've never made molds like this before and it worked out okay but I think I'll change the design in the future. They were slow and difficult to fill with rubber because of the little holes on top and there were voids left in the top. The urethane parts came out fine however. The square mold is of a landing gear part I made over a year ago. I piggy backed it with the others. That part didn't come out well but I'll talk more about that in a future post. I want to add that I'm sure some of you have noticed misterggg”s thread concerning the Moon Bus blueprints. He and I have been working on this project for almost, over, around, three years now; I forget exactly. I want to say that I would never have been able to get this far without his help. He has been ready and willing to supply me with what seems like an endless steam of drawings. Thank you misterggg. I encourage all of you to take a look.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1891copy.jpg
    IMG_1891copy.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1890copy.jpg
    IMG_1890copy.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1888copy.jpg
    IMG_1888copy.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1887copy.jpg
    IMG_1887copy.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1886copy.jpg
    IMG_1886copy.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1885copy.jpg
    IMG_1885copy.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1884copy.jpg
    IMG_1884copy.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1883copy.jpg
    IMG_1883copy.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 40

joeb

Alphans
Hi everyone. Since I've started to make molds and cast parts again I thought I'd better inventory what I had already. The first thing I worked on when I started this build was making copies of all of the kit pieces. I made lots of molds and even more parts but I never really knew how many of each part I had and what I still needed to make. A while back misterggg put together a six view drawing with all of the parts highlighted in different colors. It is the perfect drawing for a check off list. Now I have all parts for this build in one box and all the extras in another. I also know what's left to cast and what parts are left to be molded up. Here are pictures of all of the parts and their molds. I've also included some shots of various mold in different stages of completion, and of parts fresh out of the mold. Enjoy.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1920copy.jpg
    IMG_1920copy.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1144copy.jpg
    IMG_1144copy.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1143copy.jpg
    IMG_1143copy.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1149copy.jpg
    IMG_1149copy.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1159copy.jpg
    IMG_1159copy.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1168copy.jpg
    IMG_1168copy.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1175copy.jpg
    IMG_1175copy.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 53

MADsen

Alphans
Very nice molds...

Hi Joe...

What great molds and castings you´ve made... it looks great.. :thumbup:

I´m looking forward to see some update photo´s of your bus, when you have some of course... :thumbup:

joeb

Alphans
Hey, thanks Lars. The hull is on hold for a while. I know that is the most interesting thing but I want to get this stuff done. I'm going to be posting some pictures of the landing gear soon. I went onto that after mold making. I hit some snags with those and went onto the hull. Now that I've hit some snags with the hull I went back to the landing gear. ( There's a certain elegance to that isn't there). The good news is that I'm over those earlier snags and am making real progress with them. Maybe tomorrow I'll have something to post on them. For now I thought I'd share this too. If you are familiar with the Moon Bus you will know that the detail on either side is the same. The left side mirrors the right. Now, a lot of the kit parts are symmetrical, so flipping them from one side to the other wont affect how they look. However some are asymmetrical but they are either too small to notice that much or their asymmetry is so slight that again it wont be noticed. But there is one part that wont look good at all if it is flipped to the other side and that is the Atomic Cannon part that I circled in the screen capture. After staring at the part for a while I noticed that it could easily be made into a left handed piece ( the actual part being right handed). So I took three casting of the original and cut them apart and reassembled them and then made a mold of that part. You got to have extras right. I couldn't not do this because it would have REALLY BUGGED me the other way.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1041.jpg
    IMG_1041.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 36
  • mblargo3bestcopy.jpg
    mblargo3bestcopy.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 42

joeb

Alphans
Thanks Neo. No, I'm not going to kit this. I could be persuaded to make available casting of kit parts and the landing gear parts but the hull is a one off. Making a copy of it is beyond my capabilities right now.

MADsen

Alphans
Atomic Cannon part issue...

Hi Joe...

The parts looks great.. Nice castings.. :thumbup:

You have fixed your issue.. right.?

According to the last picture, with the white and green Atomic Cannon part it seems that you´ve got it right.. :thumbup:

joeb

Alphans
I had a good weekend working on the build. It was one of those rare occasions where I could work both days without having to go somewhere or do something else. Since I'm back working on the landing gear I thought I should post pictures of the work I've done so far. All of this was done about 18 to 24 months ago; I'm not sure, I can't remember that far back. Oh and Lars, to clear up any confusion, the snag I hit was with the landing gear not the casting of the kit parts. And yes that snag is cleared up as of Saturday. The first two pictures are for reference. One is a drawing by misterggg and the other is of the studio model. I've labeled everything and drawn arrows to point things out. The next three pics show the prepping of the mdf stock for the top block, pontoons and the plate. Each set of blank stock was sanded to correct thickness. The rest of the pics show the construction and machining of the plate. The two most difficult things to get right were the spacing of the slots on the side for the ribs and the holes in the top for the side pistons. The slots had to be evenly spaced so I carefully sanded each mdf spacer to length to ensure that the five ribs were in the proper place. The holes proved to be a real pain because there is a counter bore and a through hole that had to be perfectly concentric. No mater what I did I couldn't get them to line up. I plugged and re bored them several times but that didn't work so I came up with the idea of making a brass bushing in place of the through hole. I drilled the counter bore through the plate and made six bushing out of several diameters of brass tube telescoped together. It worked great. If you look carefully you can see remnants of a dowel I used to plug one of the holes. You may also notice a piece of veneer attached to one end of the plate. Oops! I cut it too short. That wasn't a big problem for me. I've become quite adept at fixing little “miss cuts” like that. Some glue and a hot iron and I'm back in business in no time. The acrylic ring was turned on a lathe. This part is currently in the prime, sand putty, repeat often, stage and should be ready for molding soon.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1193copy.jpg
    IMG_1193copy.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1192copy.jpg
    IMG_1192copy.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1191copy.jpg
    IMG_1191copy.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1190copy.jpg
    IMG_1190copy.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1189copy.jpg
    IMG_1189copy.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1182copy.jpg
    IMG_1182copy.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1171copy.jpg
    IMG_1171copy.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1170copy.jpg
    IMG_1170copy.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 39
  • bus_studio_Bcopy.jpg
    bus_studio_Bcopy.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 50
  • Landing Gear vector art 1 to 1copy.jpg
    Landing Gear vector art 1 to 1copy.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 58

joeb

Alphans
Lots of pictures for this update.

Attachments

• IMG_1277copy.jpg
    IMG_1277copy.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1276copy.jpg
    IMG_1276copy.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1275copy.jpg
    IMG_1275copy.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1274copy.jpg
    IMG_1274copy.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1254copy.jpg
    IMG_1254copy.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1232copy.jpg
    IMG_1232copy.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1194copy.jpg
    IMG_1194copy.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 10

MADsen

Alphans
Awesome...

Hi Joe...

Nice that we got that cleared out.. :thumbup:

I must say it´s incredibal nice piece of work you are doing, Joe :thumbup: :clap:

You are a true craftsman...

joeb

Alphans
These pictures are of the top block being made way back in June 2010. Just more mdf clad in polystyrene and sanded flush. This is actually the second attempt. With the first block I tried to bore all of the holes for the pistons and mounting bolts, but the holes weren’t matching up to their counterparts in the plate so I scrapped it. I decided to just make a mold of plain block and machine it afterwards. That way if I screwed up in boring the holes I could make another block easily and continue. The mold for this is done and parts have been made but I don't have those pictures ready to post.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1216copy.jpg
    IMG_1216copy.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1215copy.jpg
    IMG_1215copy.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1207copy.jpg
    IMG_1207copy.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1206copy.jpg
    IMG_1206copy.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1202copy.jpg
    IMG_1202copy.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1201copy.jpg
    IMG_1201copy.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1200copy.jpg
    IMG_1200copy.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1183copy.jpg
    IMG_1183copy.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 19

joeb

Alphans
Oh drat I forgot two.

Attachments

• IMG_1211copy.jpg
    IMG_1211copy.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1230copy.jpg
    IMG_1230copy.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 35

joeb

Alphans
Well I've spent the last few weekends casting up parts, mainly for the landing gear but also some kit pieces. It's been slow going and for a while it was one step forward and two steps back. I even once got to the point where I wanted to put the whole model on hold and go on to something else but that has past. The landing gear molds could have been thought out a little better with regards to parting lines and venting. The parts from them are usable but they need a lot of work to get them there. These pictures are of the top block molds and parts. The first mold I made was of solid rubber but the first part from it came out with a concave top. It dipped about a 1/16th of an inch at the center. I decided to make a plywood box mold to better support the rubber and maybe solve this problem but the same thing happened again. This block wasn't as concave as the first one so I troweled some spot putty on it and that seemed to fix the problem. There were also a lot of small bubbles on the side that was up in the mold from trapped air so had to cut more vent holes into the mold. I only need four of theses parts (three and an extra) but I've poured it five times and have only gotten three decent parts. I've got it in the tanks now so I'm hoping this one turns out.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1945.jpg
    IMG_1945.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1944.jpg
    IMG_1944.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1941.jpg
    IMG_1941.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 34

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
This testing of your resolve is heartbreaking, been there done that. The big difference is you are making it work and are persisting.

I use the throw stuff, cuss and do something less frustrating strategy .... :D

Joking aside, I look for updates to this project and am overjoyed when I see something new. Don't lose heart Joe, we are willing you forward. :thumbup:

joeb

Alphans
Thanks for the words of encouragement Captain, they always help. I use to be a "thrower" too. In fact is things went really wrong I would go all Jekyll and Hyde. My favorite objects to throw were bar clamps, of all sizes. I once threw a four footer like a javelin down the aisle at work. I had quite a reputation for losing it. Thankfully I've mellowed as I've "progressed" in life. Still there are times when I have to resist taking a hammer to the work bench. Yesterday was a good day however. The last top block came out well enough to use and some other troublesome parts finally came out right. I will try to get some more stuff done today.

Joe

joeb

Alphans
Here are the pictures of the pontoons being made. This was done back in June 2010. Again they started out as glued up mdf blanks sanded to thickness and then machined. The two hardest operations were correctly spacing the slots for the pontoon brackets so they lined up with their counter parts in the plate and cutting the compound angle at the tip. For the life of me I can't remember how I figured that angle out to set up the miter gauge. I may have sanded the first one to the correct shape and then used that to set up the gauge and saw blade and then used a bevel gauge to see what the miter gauge and saw blade were set at. I had a lot of blank stock on hand to run tests of all of the different set ups but even then I think I barely had enough at the end for the two masters.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1259copy.jpg
    IMG_1259copy.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1257copy.jpg
    IMG_1257copy.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1247.JPG
    IMG_1247.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 14

joeb

Alphans
And the rest of them.

Attachments

• IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1267copy.jpg
    IMG_1267copy.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1263copy.jpg
    IMG_1263copy.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1261copy.jpg
    IMG_1261copy.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 11

joeb

Alphans
This is what I've been doing on the pontoons these last few weekends. These molds gave me a lot of trouble. I don't know if you can see it in the third photo but there is a huge bubble in it. What I think happened was that it was right under the air inlet in the pressure tank lid and when I turned the valve to charge the tank the air went into the mold. Any way I had to remove the rubber and pour it again making sure to avoid the air inlet this time when I put it into the tank. It worked, but I had problems with the first pour of urethane. The gate wasn't big enough and the mold cavity wasn't vented properly so I couldn't fill it. This was very frustrating and resulted it a few choice words but no clamp throwing thank goodness. As of yesterday I have all of these parts that I need. They didn't come out ready to use but they'll work. I sanded and primed a couple today and they don't look as bad as I feared which is nice.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1937.jpg
    IMG_1937.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_1939.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1942.jpg