Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Season 2 of TAG begins today.

Obviously not much love around here for TAG. I have read that season 2 is using more miniatures and is a bit darker. Yesterdays was pretty much the same as far as I could see but it wasn't bad.

THIS EPISODE......

Only watched the first one, but enjoyed it - the obvious throwback to "Terror In New York" with some shots virtually the same, plus some exciting crash-landings for the GDF aircraft, plus the Earthbreaker was blown up at the end. It's all done at break-neck speed and if you blink you'll miss something integral to the story, but I'm glad it's back and I'll stick with it.

Kindest regards

Patrick

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Good to see you posting again, my friend... :yes:

Only watched the first one, but enjoyed it - the obvious throwback to "Terror In New York" with some shots virtually the same, plus some exciting crash-landings for the GDF aircraft, plus the Earthbreaker was blown up at the end. It's all done at break-neck speed and if you blink you'll miss something integral to the story, but I'm glad it's back and I'll stick with it.

Kindest regards

Patrick

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Good to see you posting again, my friend... :yes:

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Correct, I can't stand this series and to think its been given a THIRD series!!!!!
I know some people like it but I never will.

Boldman

Alphans
Its a kids show, it not OUR Thunderbirds and it never will be and if you can accept that and see beyond that, its quite entertaining.

badsimmonds

Alphans
Thats the trouble, its too much a kids show now with unrealistic action, scale and characters.
When this series was first mooted the guys behind it said how much they were fans of the original and I started to think perhaps we will get a good series. I couldn't believe how awful it was when I saw it, occasionally I've watched bits to see if things had changed which of course they hadn't. Why can't Thunderbirds have a really good remake instead of japanese anime cartoons, crap live action film and now this.
I would love to know what Gerry and Derek would have really thought about it.
Even thinking of it as aimed at nursery school age its just smeging awful. Sorry but its not for me.

Dave

Alphans
Each to their own I suppose. It's just too kiddified for my liking.

Whilst the original was intended as a kids show, it appealed to all ages, because it wasn't dumbed down. Everything seemed to be on a grand scale, made to be as realistic as possible - the sets, the music, the acting, the effects. It was all grand. This show just appears to be toys/cartoons.

As Badsimmonds put it, why oh why can they not make a version that steps up on what Gerry was trying to achieve, rather than the God-awful pants that keeps being generated.

I've tried to catch the odd episode and whilst there are a few nods, or in-jokes to the original, overall I find the whole thing quite embarrassing to watch.

Perhaps I'm just getting old!

I can see your points and there's some things that I don't like such as -

Overuse of grappling hooks [ they'd have to be some ridiculously strong things to be fired and grab on to things like they do in the show ]

Stupid utterly ridiculous physics in some episodes [ like 2 people falling from hundreds of feet and miraculously landing perfectly upright in the mole cockpit ]

It's been made specifically for kids tv

Although Alan was young in the original series I'd have made him older for this. It's downright stupid having a 17 year old fly a rocket into space.

It's a shame they didn't go for more realistic looking characters instead of the slightly cartoonish ones we got.

They tried to make the models as realistic as possible in the original show but in this some of the miniatures look like toys.

The whole way Kayo was set up to save the Fireflash was awful. The original episode was much better.

that said I don't think it's as bad as some people say it is. Most episodes don't seem to be any less kiddified than the original series to me. Whilst the puppets in the original series have their own charm they can come across as a bit silly and for kids so the original series does have the appearance of a kids show even if it wasn't specifically meant to be just for kids [ as far as I remember anyway ].

Last edited:

Boldman

Alphans
The original was always a kids show, the attention to detail and realism of the model and settings was a thing of its time. Nowadays the animations are made deliberately toy like - there are plenty of physics engines out there that could simulate inertia and momentum, but they've chosen to make everything move too fast and stop and turn on a sixpence, which to our older eyes looks wrong, but to kids looks just like the toys they play with.

The original was always a kids show, the attention to detail and realism of the model and settings was a thing of its time. Nowadays the animations are made deliberately toy like - there are plenty of physics engines out there that could simulate inertia and momentum, but they've chosen to make everything move too fast and stop and turn on a sixpence, which to our older eyes looks wrong, but to kids looks just like the toys they play with.

Yes that's certainly one problem with it. The scenery always seems to be sunny too like some Hovis advert. There was quite a few episodes in the original with grey skies and stormy weather.

And they should bring back Jeff Tracy too. He's obviously been ditched so they could stick another female in the show.

I think it's on at 4.30pm today. At least they've put the 2nd series on at a better time [ so far ] than the first season.

Last edited:

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
On Saturdays 2nd episode an astronaut is floating in space near the moon and calls for rescue.... with only 5 minutes of air left!!
John Tracy decides to forget about the superfast rocket TB3 and instead puts on a small jet-pack (with wings?) and flies to the Moon himself to rescue the woman...... that's 250,000 miles in under 5 minutes using a feeble jetpack!!!!!
At this point my Brain went into meltdown and I asked myself why I was bothering to watch this utter tosh, something that happens a lot with this badly made show.
A pity as the first episode had seemed slightly better than normal, slightly more serious, with explosions, and characters who seemed to be in danger and wanted rescuing, but it couldn't last and we were back to comedy pirates and mindless nonsense by episode 2.