Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

SHADO Lunar Module / Carrier

w8cmp

Alphans
Does anyone know a close match for the red used on the SHADO Lunar Module and carrier aircraft ?

Trying to finish one of the resin / white metal kits from many years ago, and the various Humbrol reds don't look right to me...looking for a car paint which is a close match.

Cheers

Chris

paul gray

Forum Supporter
where's Mark 42 when you need him? he has made a few of these and done a very tasty job indeed
cheers Paul
p.s. good luck with your project Chris

JD

Alphans
paul gray said:
where's Mark 42 when you need him?
:lol: Probably building models instead of sitting at the pc! Egad, so that's how he does it!!
His old article in SFFM 6 (1995) cites Austin Rover Blaze. Is that the same as Rover Red Blaze? There's no colour reference in his website article, so that might be outdated.

Bishop

Alphans
Hopefully working on the build story for the SPV and the Interceptor... looking forward with anticipation I must say.

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
JD said:
paul gray said:
where's Mark 42 when you need him?
:lol: Probably building models instead of sitting at the pc! Egad, so that's how he does it!!
His old article in SFFM 6 (1995) cites Austin Rover Blaze. Is that the same as Rover Red Blaze? There's no colour reference in his website article, so that might be outdated.

Yep, Thats why I'm only at 300 odd posts after 2 years. :)

It was Blaze for the first five but on the last one I went for a brighter colour that I thought was better. You have to keep remembering that the original studio model you are looking at is a colour/weathering combination, if you match that with a paint and then add your own weathering you end up with a darker model.
And no I can't remember the paints name which is a pity as I've got to build another!

Sorry in my haste , I added the the word red. The Halfords colour is Rover Blaze, the last time I looked it was still in the racks. But, obviously they do take colours out of production as the cars they are made for start to disappear.

I did some research on this many moons ago, I would hesitate to say it is a perfect match, but it is very close indeed and does link back to the colour used on the filiming miniature.

As regards the brightness, one has to remember the light used during filming does on occasions make it look lighter than it is in reality. Comapre the shots on the LM in space to those in earths atmopsphere. In space it looks a 'rusty' red and the daylight shots it almost a bright orange. If one uses blaze one can be very content it is as cannon to the miniature as can be.

Marty...

Last edited: