Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Shado Mobile Builds

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi everyone
I've never done this before so please forgive me if I make a bit of a mess with this thread.
I've been reading a lot of threads on the various builds of Shado mobiles and have been fascinated by all the different ideas and comments so I thought it was time to try and add to them.
I am in the process of completing a studio scale mobile which I have to say is only the third model I've built in 15 years (the others are if interested - Zero X MEV and the Hood's desert jeep) there are mistakes on the model but I have to say that does not bother me as I've always been a rather compromising and lazy builder.
I know there are builders that must have absolutely everything just right which is great but I've always felt that even if your skills are not great you should make an effort and construct whatever you like and however you like.
With this mobile I've used as many original kit parts I can get but even so I've had to make do and dare I say it compromise as I'm not prepared to go to extreme lengths to obtain 100% original parts.
My excuse for this is even though the original mobile models were well made I bet each one was different in some ways, especially after filming a few episodes.
I've taken loads of pics of all my builds so if anyone would like to see how I progressed with the mobile then please get in touch.
I'm not the worlds best modeller by any means but I get there in the end by compromising and taking shortcuts and I'm afraid not being too fussy on being 100% accurate.
If anyone is out there please get in touch.

Attachments

• DSCN2802.jpg
    DSCN2802.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Re: SHADO mobile builds

That is a fine model!

What do you plan to do about crew?

I take it there were variants - with roof-mounted cannon, scanner dish, any others?

I have the Dinky toy with flip-over-and-shoot rocket-launcher! ..Rockets lost long ago :-(

Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi there, many thanks for your comments.
My mobile will be the Shado Control version with the radar dish as I like radar dishes.
Yes there were variants, apart from the dish there was as you mentioned the roof mounted cannon which looks quite exciting in the 'Sound of Silence' episode when the mobiles are firing at the ufo in the lake plus the depth charge cannon.
Most builders go for the normal shado 1, 2 or 3 but i thought it would look bigger and better with the dish.
As to the crew, I don't know as I'm not really into cockpit interiors too much though having said that I have built a simple interior which is seperate from the main body and cockpit. I keep looking at various figures which could be used in the mobile but never take the plunge.

Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi there
Glad you like my mobile, I never thought I would be able to achieve something like this as I'm not the most experienced modeller in the world.
As much as I like the other mobile variants I always had a soft spot for the control vehicle. It makes the model look bigger and grander though being a studio scale model it's already pretty big.

Attachments

• DSCN2804.jpg
    DSCN2804.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 100

SteveDix

Alphans
I keep looking at various figures which could be used in the mobile but never take the plunge.

As a side point, what would these figures be? I've been looking round for figures that I could use in the Moon mobile, but I haven't come up with any, apart from the Gemini figures, and I can't really justify buying the whole kit just for the two figures.

techno

Alphans
you could look at figures like those from G.I.Joe,Action Force,Etc. for the Mobile! This is Looking to be a Top Notch Build So Far! Dan

badsimmonds

Alphans
As a side point, what would these figures be? I've been looking round for figures that I could use in the Moon mobile, but I haven't come up with any, apart from the Gemini figures, and I can't really justify buying the whole kit just for the two figures.

If your talking about the revell reissue of the gemini capsule then you are welcome to the two figures in the kit as I have no use for them.

With regards to the shado mobile figures I've been looking at DSV, Tiger Joe and johnny express figures. I have two tiger joe figures from my complete boxed tiger joe tank but I still can't decide whether to use them or not.!

badsimmonds

Alphans
Its been a while since I added anything to this post so it's about time.
I've already published photos of my mobile but if anyone has the time to read my build diary then I'm only too happy to post it.
I'm not very good at writing builds so please put up with my lack of detail at times.

When I decided to go ahead with this build I was sure it was almost beyond my skills and would take forever so to cut down on time and building I obtained a studio scale mobile kit from Mamas (Studio 2) This kit was made up of 3 parts, the main body in two pieces and the cabin in 1 piece.
It lay in my garage for a few months until I picked up the courage to start.
My first problem was the kit was made in fibre glass something I had no experience with so i went to Halfords and bought one of their fibreglass repair kits. After reading the instructions I set about fixing the the two halfs of the body together. This was extremely messy due to my inexperience and also it was very awkward getting the matting in place due to the space available.
I used tape and grips to keep the body together while drying.
I was surprised to findonce dried it had actually worked and started the long process of sanding and filling using P38 until the body was the correct shape and the joins had disappeared. I love P38 but its so messy I'm always glad when I've finished using the stuff.
When I fitted the cabin onto the body unfortunately there was a gap of about 6mm on one side. The only way round this was to saw the end of the cabin but leave it still fixed so I could bend it to the correct angle, I then fibreglassed it and hoped for the best. Lo and behold it worked and fitted perfectly.
I'm having trouble with the photos can anyone tell me how to put piccys onto this post as I've forgotten how to.

Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
I think I've managed to attach the photos, here are a couple to start with.

Attachments

• DSCN2542.JPG
    DSCN2542.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN2651.JPG
    DSCN2651.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Some more pics, sorry about them being a little mixed up build wise but i did warn you.
I've started to construct the chassis out of double thickness acrylic sheet, I glued two sheets together to get a thickness of approx 8mm
I've used acrylic for sometime and find it great to work with, yes you have to be careful when cutting as it can break or even melt but once you get used to it it's ok. Some people hate the stuff but you can do a lot with it.
The basic chassis is complete and the joins are getting sanded and filled with P38.
The plans you can see are from SIG and were drawn by Phil Rae, I blew them up on a copier to studio scale and use them for reference.
Before I started this build I collected photos and info from the tv and fan built replicas so I was constantly referring to them all during the build.
Martin Bower and many others helped me along the way for which I'm eternally grateful.

Attachments

• DSCN2650.JPG
    DSCN2650.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN2640.jpg
    DSCN2640.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN2550.JPG
    DSCN2550.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Once the acrylic chassis had been sanded and sprayed I then worked out the position of the wheels, I did not use the original wheel shafts as I prefer using threaded rod, in this case it was encased in an alumium rod to give it a thicker look.
The sanding and filling of the main body continues all the time, I don't know about other builds but I always spray the model to show up the defects and then refill and sand until I'm happy. The chassis fits into the rectangular hole in the base of the main body, it will be a tight fit as I do not intend to glue or screw it in place when complete so I can just lift the body off when I need to.
I bought two Tiger Joe tanks for this project, the first was a complete working version with all its shells and figures and box, unfortunately all the wheels were ribbed so I had to buy another one. The second tank was in a sorry state bit the tracks and smooth wheels were complete.
Before I cut the tracks I measured them about 20 times and also wrapped them round the wheels just to make sure. I drilled out the rivets but had to take care as the plastic would start to melt. I don't intend to glue them together until the very end and in the meantime I kept them together using sticky tape.
The mobile is taking shape and in the meantime I just keep filling and sanding and spraying everything.

Attachments

• DSCN2673.JPG
    DSCN2673.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN2661.JPG
    DSCN2661.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN2660.jpg
    DSCN2660.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2655.JPG
    DSCN2655.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN2652.jpg
    DSCN2652.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN2648.JPG
    DSCN2648.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN2647.jpg
    DSCN2647.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2643.JPG
    DSCN2643.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN2548.JPG
    DSCN2548.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 77

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
That is beginning to look very good. The model will be judged by it's surface finish as much as it's form so it's good to see you spending time sanding everything thoroughly.

I'll continue to follow this with great interest. :D

badsimmonds

Alphans
Time for another update.
My photos are a bit out of sequence so please forgive me.
I'm continuing to sand and fill endlessly, apart from using grey primer I also use the yellow primer filler spray which is great stuff. You must leave it to well and truly dry before sanding, it helps to fill in those minor blemishes and does give the model a nice surface.
I drilled out the cabin windows and then used a coping saw to join the dots so to speak then it was just a matter of filing down to the correct level.
I just love P38 because if you over drill or cut etc then a quick dollop of the stuff and the mistake has gone. When I was knee high to a grasshopper I used to use Plastic Padding which is just the same stuff as P38, I know modellers have their favourite filler but if your happy with it then by all means continue to use it.
Once the windows were cut out and filed I glued a 'frame' round each opening which would support the actual windows.
One thing I thought would be easy to do would be the curved tube on the cabin roof but you wouldn't believe the trouble I had with it. I tried bending plasticard but it kept on springing back, I put the card in a hot oven for a couple of seconds as this does work on bigger items but it just wouldn't keep its shape. Eventually I used brass sheet bent over a former, once done I glued it on the roof and filled the joins with you know what it looked pretty good.
Its getting there but there is still the cabin interior which I leave to next time.

Attachments

• DSCN2711.jpg
    DSCN2711.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN2703.jpg
    DSCN2703.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2701.jpg
    DSCN2701.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN2695.jpg
    DSCN2695.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN2694.jpg
    DSCN2694.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN2681.jpg
    DSCN2681.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN2676.JPG
    DSCN2676.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN2675.JPG
    DSCN2675.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 36

SteveDix

Alphans
One thing I thought would be easy to do would be the curved tube on the cabin roof but you wouldn't believe the trouble I had with it. I tried bending plasticard but it kept on springing back, I put the card in a hot oven for a couple of seconds as this does work on bigger items but it just wouldn't keep its shape.

The best way I found was to wrap the plastic card round a pipe of similar diameter to the desired piece, then dip it in hot water. Dry heat, such as that in an oven, is usually too much and causes the plastic to melt and warp. (Which is, of course, what you want if you're going to vaccuform or push-mold)

Putting it in water is a much better way to just get enough heat to bend the plastic, because you can control the heat of the water. Boil it and let it cool for a couple of seconds.

badsimmonds

Alphans
Thanks for that advice. I'd never thought of hot water, it shows you learn something everyday. I'll use that method next time.
BS

badsimmonds

Alphans
After spending ages sanding/filling the surface I decided it was time to start fixing the detail. A lot has been said about which kits to buy for this model and although I had most of them I decided early on I wasn't going to spend a fortune obtaining all of them. Most of my detail was obtained from Studio 2 and especially Scale Model Technologies in Canada who do (as you probably already know) a mobile detail kit. Without these guys help I would not have been able to complete my model. The parts I didn't have I scratch built as near to the original as I had available information.
I always get excited when it comes to detailing as it seems as if the model is finally moving on.
I cut out the headlights by drilling and filling and using p38 to smooth of the edges. The detail strips at the front were cut from thin plasticard and superglued in place. The biggest amount of detail is of course under the rear doors and I hope its right (too late if it isn't) Even in its upainted state its starting to look pretty good.
I wasn't sure what to do about the cabin as every single interior I have seen has been different apart from a couple of details so I decided to have a mixture of all i had seen. In the photos you can see some of the interior which in fact will never be seen, it was made up from various 'suitable' kits parts I had lying around. The cabin is actually in two parts, the outer shell and the interior shell, both parts are not glued or screwed in place but just slots in place so its easily removed for any reason. The chassis just slots into the main body as well and fits nice and snug.

Attachments

• DSCN2722.jpg
    DSCN2722.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN2721.jpg
    DSCN2721.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN2717.jpg
    DSCN2717.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN2719.jpg
    DSCN2719.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN2733.jpg
    DSCN2733.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN2709.jpg
    DSCN2709.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN2705.jpg
    DSCN2705.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 48

badsimmonds

Alphans
Thanks again for the kind comments on my efforts, its always good to think someone else likes what I'm doing.
Some more updates this time the detail on the cabin roof, as you can see its complete. The metal bar is just brass rod fitted into drilled holes in the cabin roof. Because my cabin is in two parts there is actually a gap between the two so you do not see the rod ends if you look inside. I decided to have an internal and external covering as the cabin is made from fibreglass and quite thick in places so I lined it with plasticard and added some detail and this fits perfectly inside the outer cabin shell. The rear door originally had the correct 'handles' on it but as I feared they soon broke off during handling of the body, the bits landed on the garage floor but could I find them. In the end I left them as they were, in fact fellow builders have said some mobiles have the correct handles while some don't, well this is probably why - they simply broke off.
The missing chassis wheel was being painted hence the space. I'm going to leave the cabin interior primer gray as its an area I'm not too concerned with though the seats will be black. I've also fixed the thin ridges over the model which are made from blue 3mm wide vinyl car masking tape. Its ideal for this purpose as it will quite happly go round all sorts of curves without crinkling. Before final painting the whole model will get one more coat of primer.

Attachments

• DSCN2788.jpg
    DSCN2788.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN2785.jpg
    DSCN2785.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN2756.jpg
    DSCN2756.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN2755.jpg
    DSCN2755.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN2746.jpg
    DSCN2746.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN2738.jpg
    DSCN2738.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN2895.jpg
    DSCN2895.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

techno

Alphans
This is Looking Superb! Please Keep up the Superb Work! You're Doing Top Notch Work, you want to submit pics of Your Mobile to the UFO Series website,They'd be STUNNED to see such a Superb Model! Dan