Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Sick to Death...

Eagle

Commander Ret.
...of Chinese and Indian spammers.

I've banned/deleted several dozen over the last few days and each one takes several minutes to do. It's even worse when I have to clean up the shit that they spread on the board if they manage to post.

As a result, they're eating into my time which needs to be spent doing more valuable things (like earning a living...).

We're under assault from them at the moment so for the time-being I'm reverting the board to manually-authorised sign-ups. If you are legit, don't be surprised though if you get banned when you sign-up with a user name like 'lily9907865'. :roll: :lol:

Thanks for your patience. I'll get around to authorising your account when I can.

:)

eaglewingone

Alphans
Has anyone thought of assigning someone to go through the membership applications maintaining the board? If nobody wants the duty, I will take it. I have plenty of time and I do not worry about money.

Last edited:

Eagle

Commander Ret.
Thanks for the offer but it's ok. :) We only have between two and five legit sign-ups per day on average. I can usually spot spammers a mile-off so they're easy to weed out. What does become a pain is when they sign-up then spread their links all over the place unchecked. :)

What would help is if people would kindly refrain from replying to them - when that happens, I (or the mods) have to delete those posts too. Just hit the report button:
and we'll deal with it in due course.

:)

I haven't seen any spammers on this forum yet (thank God), but on my old email account (I forgot password-didn't know hint) I constantly got the worst spam ever. :fume:

S'pose that that's the good thing with forgetting your password...

George

HUNCH

Alphans
I replied after one with a joke.:( Sorry about that. It wont happen again, next time I'll hit the report button!:yes:

Dr Kane

Alphans
Reminds me of the first lesson I was taught about the internet by a tech-savvy friend: never reply to a spammer - even to tell them to desist or to abuse them - because it confirms that yours is a real, working email address. I was so naive in those heady days of Netscape Navigator and a 28.8 baud modem. I remember receiving spam offering child p0rn, which I promptly reported to the police - not realising that it was a fairly typical spam message. :oops: The coppers were very patient with me, bless 'em.

oshvision

Alphans
:wtf::no:Spammers are bad:rant:- just my thoughts! :)

------
"No", money down!" "they got this thing all screwed up" quote from Troy McClore (the simpsons)