Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Silly spaceship questions

I seem to remember blueprints of the Mark Nine Hawk-class combat vehicle ("War Games") being published in "Starlog" magazine over 30 years ago. Are these plans available anywhere online?

Does anyone have an idea of the size (read: length) of a Mark Nine Hawk is comparison to an Eagle?

Was there ever any meditation from the makers of "Space: 1999" on why Earth needed a combat vehicle like the Mark Nine Hawk, prior to the Moon's departure?

Has anyone figured out how ingress/egress works for the Mark Nine Hawk? The model shown in "War Games" doesn't seem to have any airlocks...

In "Brian the Brain", it was mentioned that the (unseen) space probe mothership was hosting a fleet of Swift-type craft. How? We never saw a probe vessel carrying any detachable craft other than Tony Cellini's command module. How anyone envisioned a large, probe-ship with smaller shuttles attached? Anyone ever drawn anything like that?

Did anyone ever draw any plans for Tony Cellini's probe-ship? Did anyone ever make any CGI images of it?

Aside from the apparent absence of landing gear and launch engines, what would prevent a probe-ship like Cellini's from landing?

Has anyone ever drawn/CGI a probe-ship that could land?

Here's a really silly question: if a probe-ship can carry along at least one detachable daughter-ship (like a Swift or an Eagle) on a journey, why would such a probe vessel need a detachable command module? One more form of extra-vehicular access?

Assuming an Eagle is about 100 feet (30.48 meters) long, about how long is Cellini's probe-ship?

Did any of the probe-ships mentioned in "Space: 1999" ever have naming nomenclature, instead of just numbers like "Eagle Six"?

Doomsday

Alphans
Lots of good questions there, and I'm sure there are plenty of clever people on here able to answer them.
Unfortunately...I'm not one of them....:wtf:
I do know hat there are no dooors on the Hawk because there was no need to show them and so why make them??!!
I would guess the Hawk's relative size would be quite similar as the differences between the Airfix models.
Hope you get loads of real answers to your questions!!
Ronnie.

gogs100

Alphans
I may be wrong but ...

No
No
Who knows?
Possibly
No
Only the Command Module / Yes (Google is your friend)
Gravity and no landing rockets
No
Aircraft Carriers still have lifeboats.
Nope, got me on that one.
No

As to why they would need a combat ship like the Hawk, they wouldn't, unless:
1. Various nations were competing for supremacy in space and the Hawk was the result of arms escalation; or
2. They knew that extraterrestrial life existed prior to the moon being blow out of earth's orbit.

Possibility #1 seems unlikely since the show appears to assume a one-world govt. similar to that used in the Star Trek universe.

healvis

Alphans
As far as entering the hawk, my theory would be that the 2 panels on either side of the top of the CM open like gull wing doors allowing the pilots to enter from a platform.
John.

mars0ne

Alphans
In regards to the Starlog Hawk Mk IX information, I did a search of images.google.com for the words starlog hawk and the image you are looking for is the third one that came up. It is housed on Space1999.net -- a site that is chocked full of information if you haven't seen it yet.

The explanation I've seen is that the Hawk was a follow-on to the UFO interceptor, thus combining the UFO and Space 1999 series' into one timeline. The recently released graphic novel "Aftershock and Awe" (a good read BTW) also implies that the Hawk was used in wars on earth.

Last edited:

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
................Does anyone have an idea of the size (read: length) of a Mark Nine Hawk is comparison to an Eagle?
.................Assuming an Eagle is about 100 feet (30.48 meters) long, about how long is Cellini's probe-ship?................

i'm sure the question of how big the "real" spaceships would be has no doubt been discussed ad nauseum, but what the thread is called i don't know.
given the main studio model is approx. 44 inches long and 1/24th revell gemini kit figures where used in the cockpit, (all be it they appear too large), that puts the "real" thing at approx. 90 feet. the main hawk model is approx. 32 inches, so that makes it approx. 64 feet long.
so far as the ultra probe is concerned, the same scale was used so no doubt someone here has measured the original studio models so can answer that!

Let's say it's "1998", and there is a Mark IX Hawk disabled in interplanetary space beyond Earth orbit. Moonbase Alpha is ordered to dispatch a rescue-Eagle. The pilots of the Hawk are in intermittent communication with Alpha. They report they are okay, but life support is failing. When the Eagle gets to the Hawk's position, how could the two ships dock?

Assuming the Hawk command module and the Eagle's are similar, I could see the Eagle temporarily jettisoning the mission (cargo) module and thus allowing the Hawk command module to dock with either the Eagle's inner service structure or either end of the jettisoned mission module temporarily. (All assuming the module separation process on the Hawk still works and the Hawk pilots are able to communicate and implement the necessary jettison and docking procedures.)

But assuming that the Hawk is in worse shape, or the pilots do not respond, how do you envision a rescue Eagle docking with a Hawk?

EddieL

Alphans
I imagine there would be modular docking clamps that could be used in scenarios like this.

The docking clamps would be attached to the spine of the Eagle in the configuration necessary to attach to the object in question. (In your example, a Hawk.)

The Eagle could then fly the object back to Alpha like the 747 used to piggyback the space shuttle.

Cheers
Eddie

"Brian the Brain" seemed to suggest that Captain Michael's probe ship landed on Planet D. Does this suggest that at least some Earth probe craft are capable of planetary takeoff and landing? The reason I was thinking along these lines is that eps like "Earthbound" and "Black Sun" make note of artificial gravity / antigravity technology, which is obviously an integral part of both the moonbase and all Earth spacecraft. Even Starlog's article on the Eagles suggested that Earth spacecraft use some kind of gravity-based propulsion; so why can't it be assumed that (at least some) probe ships can take-off and land?

CR

Alphans
Re: blueprints and sizes of ships, try to find Roberto Baldassari's stuff. (Hint: try The Captain's Store.) He even addressed a possible hatch location for Hawks. (By the way, the Ultra Probe ship and Eagles dock right next to each other in the episode "Dragon's Domain." Not much better scale/size reference than that!)

Last edited: