Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Sixteen 12 12" Eagles - new!

The nuclear waste dome is relatively cheap and easy to manufacture, and the Pilot Ship is small - I never thought it was a particularly interesting or must-have design. The Eagle itself is the same as many previous issues, so that's a lot of dosh to lay down for what is essentially a vac-formed dome, a small, new model plus something you already have. I don't really need any more Sixteen12 Eagles - though I'd consider it if there was interesting variants. This one is a pass from me.

A Superswift, on the other hand... a companion piece to the Swift from Brain the Brain? I'd definitely shell out for that. The toolings that Steve creates for Sixteen12 are unsurpassed. That's real love and attention to detail on show there.

However, I do think Sixteen2 is missing a trick by not simply inventing some cool new accessories for their existing Eagle - like the "habitation pod" seen in the new Alpha Technical Manual recently published, or the "open cage" pod for transporting lunar tanks. The latter, surely, would be a must-have, and now it's canon of sorts.

Or if it's a saver option, how about a set comprising the three Lunar tanks / tractors seen in The Infernal Machine?

I wonder if there'll be companion pieces to the Landing Pad & mini-Eagles set when it eventually arrives. Probably a cheaper scale to create alien ships for. The Earth ships are the big attractions, I think - I'd pay good money for an Ultra or Meta probe at this scale, and maybe a Superswift would be more financially feasible also. But it'd be lovely to have some of the more iconic alien ships too, like one of the Sidon craft or Arra's shuttle.

Which probably means we'll get Taybor's SS Emporium...

korgusheva

Alphans

Dorzac

Alphans
I've reported the first of these last two posts, have they anything to do with the subject ?.
Looks like Spam to me !.
Is anyone bothered ☹️
These kind of posts are all over the place now, seems no one with any moderation status who could delete them has been here for weeks. Totally annoying.

I reported about 10 of them just now. Various threads all are in Russian. Some of the links has to do with sports / fitness etc. This has been going on for awhile now and it's gotten quite bad. I was hoping a mod would be finding them and deleting this posts but nothing looks like it's been done.

ogatstvo

Alphans

gwent

Alphans
I noticed looking at their latest video showcasing the Launch pad and the 5" Eagles here:

All of the Eagles use the same body. I'm not an expert with the different versions of the Eagle body but I do know that the year 2 Eagles had a different engine structure. While most of the Eagles in that set are from year 1 (VIP, Eagle One, Rescue, and Freighter), the Laboratory Eagle with boosters may be a problem, as wasn't the boosters only featured in year two? If so, then it should have the year two engine assembly, correct? But it seems they all use the same body. Which would make the laboratory Eagle a bit inaccurate since it has the booster assembly but not the year two engines? Any thoughts?

I'll be honest. I'm just now thinking about pre-ordering some of these. My only experience so far with Sixteen12 is their disappointing commlock/stun gun set and the Koenig spacesuit figure. The stun gun/commlock were very cheaply made - my stun gun arrived with a part broken off, and both the stun gun and commlock had sloppy manufacturing, inaccurate sizing/details, scuffing, random glue residue on the commlock screen and body, poor lighting for the commlock, cheap electronics, inaccurate stun gun lights, rattly battery compartment, and other issues. The Koenig figure was nice overall, though it had less detail in the face than the marketing images suggested, and the oxygen tank "hose" that's supposed to connect to the helmet is a joke - it's plastic and absolutely does not connect to either the tank or the helmet. You would have to glue it on. but then you couldn't remove the helmet. So the "hose" is a total failure.

I do own a couple Product Enterprise Eagles from long ago and they're awesome. I understand it's the same crew behind-the-scenes working at Sixteen12.

So I'm not sure about pouring more money into some of these sets. But that Swift looks amazing, and I'm tempted by the Bringers of Wonder set, and the mini Eagles and launch pad. But I worry about the quality of the launch pad after my experience with the stun gun/commlock, since it also uses electronics.

A couple other random thoughts:

The backdrop images they included with the commlock/stun gun set and the Koenig figure is laughably poor quality - it's like a DVD-resolution screenshot blown up to print size. Nothing approaching high-resolution. It's embarrassingly poor. Cereal boxes have more detail. You can actually see the pixellation easily. I really do think they are DVD frame grabs. Even if they grabbed a blu-ray screen cap it would look better printed out, but why not just use a high-quality marketing image of some sort?

I love The Bringers of Wonder so that set has me tempted, and that would get me one of their new Eagles. But to be honest, I think that set would make more sense including a Super Swift. Or at least an actual Bringer of Wonder. Now that would tempt me for sure. But just a dome and an Eagle and the small pilot craft has me on the fence. The dome does look cool. How will they launch a Super Swift later if they already have a Bringers of Wonder set that didn't include it? Unless they call it Bringers of Wonder set II?

Also not a fan at all with the blister packaging shown for the individual 5" Eagles, but I can't tell if that's just pre-production packaging or if that's what we're going to get.

In general, I'm tempted by some of these, as I've already missed out on many of their previous sets, and I feel now is a good time to jump in. But my experience with their products so far has been disappointing. It does seem their ships are of very high quality based on what I've read and seen in videos and in here. The possible inaccuracy with the 5" lab pod engines is a bit of a let-down, unless I'm mistaken about that particular version. I know they goofed with the engine assembly with the Dragon's Domain set.

Last edited:

yorkie

Alphans
Yes the Lab Eagle with boosters is a bit of a continuity problem. The Lab Eagle actually appears in series 1 in Guardian of Piri, Voyager's Return and the Last Enemy, though when in flight the lab pod sometimes changes into a standard pod! It's also in the end credits of season 1 episodes but is so small it's hard to recognise. The lab Eagle with extra boosters on the spine appears in series 2 The Metamorph and both the original first and second 44" Eagles are used as the booster Eagle for different shots. So you could say the Sixteen12 version is actually accurate in certain shots.

I agree with the Bringers of Wonder set too. I'd have preferred just a Superswift and the Pilot ship is too small for me to justify purchasing another entire set for, plus I have no more room for more Eagles. Looking forward to their Swift though.

gwent

Alphans
Interesting. So the top boosters weren't seen until year two, but the lab pod was seen in year one, and a few shots in The Metamorph do show the year one lab Eagle with the top boosters? I thought only the year two engine configuration was seen in year two, but again I'm not that knowledgeable about those details. I wasn't aware year two used both the year one and year two engine configurations. Sounds like those shots in the Metamorph were more of a technical /continuity goof maybe? Were there other year two episodes that purposely featured a year one engine configuration? Technically then that Eagle is accurate in terms of showing a rare version that was seen briefly in The Metamorph? That makes me feel a bit better about that 5" mini I guess, if I understand it correctly.

I guess you could always explain it away as there being other missions not seen in the series that did involve that configuration, you just never saw them. They are modular, after all. These 5" Eagles aren't episode-specific. But it's nice to think each one actually did make an appearance at least once in the series somewhere.

It's definitely a bit disappointing that the Bringers of Wonder doesn't include either the Super Swift or at least a small Bringers of Wonder Figure. How cool would that be if there were one or two small figures included to set near the dome, since they were shown outside near the domes in the actual episode? They could have skipped the Eagle this time around since there's nothing special about it anyways, and focus on the figures and the Super Swift. Still, I love that episode so I might bite, and that would at least get me a standard Eagle, though If I buy other sets later I'm sure I'd end up with an Eagle at some point. Just seems like a missed opportunity to do an episode-specific set and skip the most iconic figures and ship from the episode, and instead include a standard Eagle yet again. Maybe somebody can contact them and suggest including a scale Bringers of Wonder figure at least?

I was considering their Hawk SE, but it's over $200, and I learned it's all 100% plastic (no die-cast) according to a comment on Youtube - is this correct? I can't justify spending that much on a ship smaller than the Eagles ( I know it's in scale but still, it's a bit smallish) that doesn't even include some die-cast. Plus it seems they made the same goof with the Hawk that MPC did with their re-issue - they left off the center laser on the underside of the nosecone (the thing that blinks when it fires in Wargames). Their larger studio version has it but not the smaller one from what I can see. MPC also left that detail out.

gwent

Alphans
This is the missing bit underneath the Hawk (this is from the original studio model - notice the laser cannon):

"If you haven't already noticed the nose section is not symetrical at all. The wires for the lightbulb (laser) travel through the model and exit just over half way down the hull and then travel along the lower surface passing under the rear vertical boosters."

It's confirmed here that it is the laser, which is obvious while watching the episode. So it's a shame it was forgotten by both MPC and Sixteen12. How do you miss that detail? Sixteen12 did include it in their studio scale Hawk.

I was also interested in their retro Dinky-style Freighter, but that didn't come with the winch, so the string/cable just hangs there without a winch attachment. The winch attachment is thankfully included with the upcoming 5". But it's frustrating that these cost so much yet important bits like this are missed.

Last edited:

gwent

Alphans
They really dropped the ball imo with the retro freighter Eagle. It's so close to be great but without the winch add-on, it's a weird hybrid. Not quite the pallet pod because of the permanently-attached "cable" (string) - the pallet pod shouldn't have the cable, as there no winch for the cable to wind around. And not really the cargo pod because the cargo pod should include the winch. As it is, it's the pallet pod with a random cable permanently hanging off the bottom of the eagle, with no winch, so it doesn't even make sense that there's a cable. And the "cable" can't be detached, so you can't just detach it and display it or "fly" it around like a pallet Eagle. It will always have the string attached. Why didn't they just include the separate winch like the 5"? Why didn't they allow the string/cable to be detached from the Eagle so it could pass as the pallet pod Eagle? What if the string breaks? There's no way apparetnly to replace it as there's no way to get inside the pallet - it seems to be attached from the inside of the pallet.

I really like the concept but the execution is a miss due to this issue with it being a hybrid that doesn't make sense. As much as I'd love to order one I can't get past those issues. I could break the string off - then I could just pass it off as a pallet pod Eagle, but I don't want to permanently damage it - I want to keep it in pristine condition as shipped.

For the 5" they include both the pallet pod and the winch add-on, though you still can't seem to remove that cable/string, so in reality you have to keep the winch on the Eagle or you're in the same situation as the Retro Freighter, with a cable attached with no winch. The cable should be removable.

Dorzac

Alphans
So, the new BOW Deluxe Eagle set price has been announced ... £259.99. Think I will defo pass. Too much for a tiny ship and a Nuclear tit, dont need another Eagle the same as previous sets.

Dorzac

Alphans
They mentioned the Eagle has the wrap around piping on the 4 main engines making it a season 2 Eagle.
Oh yeah, didnt spot that! So it will be a unique eagle to the others i assume, unless one of the season 2 episodes already done like this, such as New Adam New Eve, Immunity Syndrome or The Exiles?

gwent

Alphans
Didn't the Dragon's Domain set include a season 2 eagle with the engine piping (even though it shouldn't have)?

The cost of Bringers of Wonder for US pre-orders is a ridiculous $399! They're really pushing us with these prices. I can't keep up.

But I love that episode, and that nuclear dome is a stand-out set-piece from the story, and one of the cooler exterior moonbase sets of the entire series.

Not sure what to do, but I can't keep ordering these insanely expensive sets, and the Eagles are piling up. I don't own Dragon' Domain so this would be a good way to get a season 2 Eagle though. If it included a Super-Swift instead of the pilot ship, like it should have, then I'd snap it up for sure.

Dorzac

Alphans
Didn't the Dragon's Domain set include a season 2 eagle with the engine piping (even though it shouldn't have)?
I took some pics of the DD Eagle and the Breakaway Eagle. Apart from the fact I notice that 2/4 of the cannisters behind the engine bells are in different orientations, the DD Eagle has a kind of extra rhombus shaped framework at the back?

1612 Eagles 1.jpg

1612 Eagles 2.jpg

1612 Eagles 3..jpg

newsbase

Alphans
I understand the increased costs of manufacturing/shipping, but I'll pass on the Bringers of Wonder set.

Got the first Breakaway, Exiles and Earthbound sets, along with the original 'Eagle Gift set' already.

Would certainly consider some of these new items on their own - but the price is too high for me I'm afraid!