Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Sixteen 12 12" Eagles - new!

I got that email. I'm buying this set as it contains one of the last 2 (or 3) Eagle variants. The Eagle with the regular rectangular docking tube. After this, there's one (maybe two) Eagle variants left. I wish Sixteen-12 would sell the Super Swift pilot craft by itself as that's the only thing in the Bringers Of Wonder set that I want.

Dorzac

Alphans
I think I may skip this one as well to be honest, nice that its a new eagle variant, but two eagles together which will be the same, probably another £250+ set. Not really interested in the Diorama side of it.

gwent

Alphans
Has anybody contacted Sixteen12 yet and asked/confirmed if the Bringers of Wonder set (and the Guaridan of Piri set) will:

A) have the proper black coloring underneath in the landing gear - only one Eagle so far has done that correctly; all the other sets have no black under the pads like it should?
B) have the correct engine assembly for both sets (meaning a year two engine assembly for Bringers of Wonder and year one for Guardian of Piri)?

These sets are getting ludicrous in pricing with shipping to the US factored in and I think I may have to stop here. I was tempted to do Bringers of Wonder and I still am, but why release two very expensive sets back-to-back? That just makes it more difficult to afford. And do we really need TWO more eagles in Guardian of Piri, both the same no less? We all have multiple Eagles now already. I'd like the diorama and the docking tube, but I don't need two more eagles.

If they had thought this through from the beginning, all Eagles would have had magnetics in the pods so we wouldn't need two special magentic pods that only come in these expensive sets to work with the docking tube - it would work with any eagle they put out. Or they could include just one eagle with Guardian of Piri and then sell more magnetic pods separately so we could swap the pods out with an Eagle from another set so that it could dock with the Guaridan of Piri eagle, rather than inlcuding two full eagles.. But then again, these sets have always been a cash grab - they've taken what should have been a modular system that only required owning a single Eagle or two (one for each season) and then selling separate pods and add-ons, since the very nature of the Eagle is it's MODULAR, and instead turned them into these behemoth, over-priced sets, requiring the purchase of Eagle after Eagle just to get the additional pods, docking tubes, booster engines, etc..

I'm really not a fan of the way the whole line was run. It seems to be taking maximum advantage of the fans with the deepest wallets. At least if they only required a partial deposit on pre-orders, and charged the balance when it ships. But no, I have to fork out $400 a set and then wait a year or more to get anything for it. How about waiting until they fulfill one expensive set before taking pre-orders for the next expensive set?

I will not be happy if I spend $400 US on Bringers of Wonder just to find out it STILL doesn't even get the black correct underneath the landing gear.

Also, for the price I'm sure they'll be asking for Guardian of Piri, it should include the actual Guardian centerpiece, but it won't.

Last edited:

gwent

Alphans
Another thought - it says Guardian of Piri includes a backdriop, which seems to include the Guardian in the backdrop picture, but if the clarity of the backdrops in their figures sets are any indication, I won't count on it looking very good. The backdrop included with my Koenig in spacesuit figure is awful - literally as pixellated as if you printed out a low-res DVD screenshot. It's laughably poor in clarity.

Dorzac

Alphans
I'm not a die-hard S1999 fan (UFO / Thunderbirds are my faves) so i don't know, but if you remove the pod from the equation, and just look at the main chassis, is their only one design for Series 1 and one design for series 2?

gwent

Alphans
In terms of the series, yeah, there's basically two eagle types - the year one design and the slightly modified year two design. Of course the eagle was modular so any new additions from episode to episode were supposed to just be things they added onto their existing eagles, be it year one or year two - various pods, arms, lasers, boosters, et.

But Sixteen12 has decided to maximize profits by selling basically the same Eagle in every set, over and over, only with that particular episode's "gimmick" added in (different pod, arm attachment, airlock tube, etc.). Worse, they've gotten them wrong in some sets, with Dragon's Domain coming with a year two Eagle design, and the hangar set including the year two booster engine attachment but both included Eagles being year one designs.

Sixteen12 does seem to have some variants as the line has evolved - like the "battle-damaged" Eagle from Wargames (which was poorly executed), or one Eagle having the correct black underneath the landing gear (forgot which set got it right). They had claimed that their Dragon's Domain set Eagle would feature some new panel detailing - they even showed it in their preview video - yet the actual set as released did not contain that added detailing.

Most of their sets seem to be the same Eagles over and over though, with just the gimmick being different, whether it's a pod or attachment or alien ship or tank or whatever in the set. Which is why these expensive sets are so frustrating - we're buying basically the same exact Eagles over and over again for just small variances, and sometimes no variance at all. The Guardian of Piri is likely to be a PAIR of standard-issue year one Eagles, with the only difference being they include magnetized door panels on the pods like the Earthbound set had, to work with the new included docking tube. The nuclear dome in Bringers of Wonder and the diorama of Piri look very cool, but half the cost of the sets are the eagles, which we already have multiples of.

That's why I'm hoping at least they get the black landing pad detailing right underneath for these two new sets, or even better, also give us that additional panel detailing they promised for Dragon's Domain. That way the new sets would offer newer, more accurate year one and two Eagles, which would make the sets more desirable.

Dorzac

Alphans
In terms of the series, yeah, there's basically two eagle types - the year one design and the slightly modified year two design. Of course the eagle was modular so any new additions from episode to episode were supposed to just be things they added onto their existing eagles, be it year one or year two - various pods, arms, lasers, boosters, et.

But Sixteen12 has decided to maximize profits by selling basically the same Eagle in every set, over and over, only with that particular episode's "gimmick" added in (different pod, arm attachment, airlock tube, etc.). Worse, they've gotten them wrong in some sets, with Dragon's Domain coming with a year two Eagle design, and the hangar set including the year two booster engine attachment but both included Eagles being year one designs.

Sixteen12 does seem to have some variants as the line has evolved - like the "battle-damaged" Eagle from Wargames (which was poorly executed), or one Eagle having the correct black underneath the landing gear (forgot which set got it right). They had claimed that their Dragon's Domain set Eagle would feature some new panel detailing - they even showed it in their preview video - yet the actual set as released did not contain that added detailing.

Most of their sets seem to be the same Eagles over and over though, with just the gimmick being different, whether it's a pod or attachment or alien ship or tank or whatever in the set. Which is why these expensive sets are so frustrating - we're buying basically the same exact Eagles over and over again for just small variances, and sometimes no variance at all. The Guardian of Piri is likely to be a PAIR of standard-issue year one Eagles, with the only difference being they include magnetized door panels on the pods like the Earthbound set had, to work with the new included docking tube. The nuclear dome in Bringers of Wonder and the diorama of Piri look very cool, but half the cost of the sets are the eagles, which we already have multiples of.

That's why I'm hoping at least they get the black landing pad detailing right underneath for these two new sets, or even better, also give us that additional panel detailing they promised for Dragon's Domain. That way the new sets would offer newer, more accurate year one and two Eagles, which would make the sets more desirable.
Yeah, I feel similar to you about the sets, always having to pay for another eagle. The Wargames set was good because at least it had a Hawk, and I got the DD set for the Ultra Probe bit but the subsequent sets have gone up in price and yet not really offered anything thats thrilled me. I've bought all the sets apart from Earthbound, but can't see myself buying any more sets in the current vein and pricing. I've pre-ordered the Swift from BTB tho, that looks great, maybe we need some other stand alone ships sets such as the Super Swift (which i mentioned in a previous post) - there are some great alien ships as well, such as the big long one from Alpha Child / War Games, the Sidon Warships, the Deltan Gunship, Gwent, or perhaps a large size probe from the Last Sunset!

I think now however that will be wishful thinking, so i'll just wait til the UFO Mobiles finally come up for pre-order.

I’d pay good money for a Sidon ship, especially if it came with a Voyager.

Passing on both Bringers of Wonder and Piri. The Piri set looks nice enough, but dioramas like these are the cheapest part of the manufacturing process and the main extra is a magnetized docking tube and a couple of in-flight stands. Equally, BoW features a hollow vac-formed dome and a tiny Pilot ship. If the sets are priced anything like previous ones, this is now becoming a very expensive hobby. Really don’t need don’t need any more Eagles.

Steve, if ever you read these, how about a reissue of all three Lunar tanks/tractors in a set of their own? With rejigged paint apps to tempt those who already possess them?

Or alien and Earth probe ships in scale with the upcoming landing pad set and mini-Eagles? A Superwift? These are all things I’d be interested to see rather than more Eagle variants that aren’t really very different to previous releases - not enough for me to part with my hard-earned, anyway.

gwent

Alphans
I'd like to get my hands on the Piri diorama and the Bringers of Wonder dome and pilot ship, but that would cost me about $800 for those two sets which is ludicrous, and as mentioned, the Piri diorama and dome really shouldn't cost very much. I just don't have that kind of disposable cash. I'd perhaps be a bit more tempted if I knew the Eagles in both sets would have the improvements I mentioned in my previous post, but unless that's confirmed, I just can't see spending so much on those sets when I already have multiple Eagles. And even if they claim they will contain the improvements, how can we be sure they really will, after them showing the improvements in the Dragon's Domain Eagle yet not actually following through with it?

By the time they hit retail and we see some images or videos, they will likely be sold out at that point. So we have to pay full-price up-front and hope we won't be disappointed.

Sixteen12 April Update

Interesting update about the two new S1999 sets ...

Saw that. The Bringers of Wonder and Guardian of Piri sets both effectively canceled until further notice.

Steve’s blamed escalating oil prices (sure to have an impact on plastics and manufacturing in general) but that doesn’t really account for the UFO sets in the same announcement going forward. I suspect there just weren’t the early orders to make them viable. It’s a shame, as obviously they have to be cost effective to work, but I think the problem lies in offering Eagle after Eagle without there being enough variation to warrant the customer forking out for new sets.

Dorzac

Alphans
Saw that. The Bringers of Wonder and Guardian of Piri sets both effectively canceled until further notice.

Steve’s blamed escalating oil prices (sure to have an impact on plastics and manufacturing in general) but that doesn’t really account for the UFO sets in the same announcement going forward. I suspect there just weren’t the early orders to make them viable. It’s a shame, as obviously they have to be cost effective to work, but I think the problem lies in offering Eagle after Eagle without there being enough variation to warrant the customer forking out for new sets.
Yeah, I thought very similar. And I'm much more interested in the UFO sets currently TBH. Lets just hope they are a good price still.

Yeah, I thought very similar. And I'm much more interested in the UFO sets currently TBH. Lets just hope they are a good price still.
I do like the look of these too. I’d be sorry if there are no further 1999 sets going forward, but I’m hoping Sixteen12 will find a way of bringing us sets we’ll want buy.

Do The Complete Lunar Tanks set from The Infernal Machine, Steve!

I do like the look of these too. I’d be sorry if there are no further 1999 sets going forward, but I’m hoping Sixteen12 will find a way of bringing us sets we’ll want buy.

Do The Complete Lunar Tanks set from The Infernal Machine, Steve!
Well, they sort of already did. They had one tank in one set and the other two tanks in another set. If you bought both sets then you get all three tanks.

Well, they sort of already did. They had one tank in one set and the other two tanks in another set. If you bought both sets then you get all three tanks.
Yes, I know.

Hence a "Complete" set containing all three tanks / tractors. To quote myself, upthread:
Steve, if ever you read these, how about a reissue of all three Lunar tanks/tractors in a set of their own? With rejigged paint apps to tempt those who already possess them?

Not everyone can afford every release and not everyone will have the complete set of tanks and as Sixteen12 want to make everything as cost-effective as possible by re-using expensive toolings over and over, making these available again in a set of their own might be viable.

It's just a suggestion for something that might find some traction with Sixteen12's limited collector market that evidently didn't go for the Bringers of Wonder and Piri sets in numbers enough to overcome current manufacturing prices.

Sorry about that. They did announce along time ago that they were going to do the tank set but cancelled it later on. They also cancelled the Hawk set but eventually did release it. With The Bringers Of Wonder set did go on sale but the Guardian Of Piri was just announced and did not go on sale so 16-12 only had the sale numbers on the Wonder set. I hope they can eventually release those 2 sets. I'm not interested in the Wonder set but I did wanted to get the Piri set.

I agree 16-12 has been milking the sets and releasing the same Eagle repeatedly. The Battle Damaged Eagle in the Hawk set was idiotic, and another repeat regular Eagle in the Ultra Probe set. They had 2 or 3 Eagle variants and they should have release 2 of those in those 2 sets. They're finally release one of those (the Eagle with the regular rectangular docking tube) in the Piri set. At this point the other Eagle variant is the Eagle that is been refueled (rear landing leg pod with the door flap up and a red fuel rod being dropped in). There maybe one more (not sure) and that is a variant of the Freighter Eagle with a hand claw instead of the magnet gripper.