Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

SKY-1 detailing

I have a replica of the largest size SKY-1 moulded in fibreglass by DX-SFX. Constructed from scratch by him as a one-off model it is a very accurate copy of the original studio model owned by Phil Rae and consists of the wings, fuselage and fin all joined and smoothed off to a very high standard.

The detailing and construction of the canopy, underwing pods, gun and engine details will be down to me, but he also kindly supplied some very high res pictures of the original that are very helpfull.

We discussed detailing at length at the time I got the model and for the most part I have what I need such as the "Everything is Go" Atlas-Mercury kit and assorted Scammel transporter parts, but I was wondering if anyone had opinions on some of the other details, such as the large bulges either side of the fuselage?

They are obviously drop tank halves from some larger scale kit, such as the Airfix 1/24 Mustang, but I think the timescale of when the original model was produced versus the release date of the Airfix kit precludes this being so. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I believe this discussion will be of use to those wising to detail any size SKY-1 replica, but particularly this larger one.

I will try to post some pictures later today of the model.

Cheers

Tony

Bishop

Alphans
You're very fortunate. The really hard work of getting the fuselage right is already done. This should be great.

I was fortunate to get this and it is one of the things on my list of permanent belongings:D

Taken about two and a bit years ago, but basically as it sits now.

Awesome piece of work in its unfinished state with perfect symmetry side to side. I don't care how long it takes, I want to do it right, hence why I would like to establish some part identities.

Cheers

Tony

Last edited:

JD

Alphans
Is there any evidence that it's actually a kitpart or a found object?
The modelmakers would've had no trouble making it from scratch if necessary to match the smaller models.

No evidence at all apart from it looking something like a kit part, but if turned out to be a made object then that is OK too.

The pictures I have are clear enough that making it should not be insurmountable.

Cheers

Tony

DX-SFX

Alphans
I'm confident it's a kit part although I never got to the stage of hunting it down. It's likely to be one of the larger central drop tanks under the fuselage of an American WWII fighter although that's just an educated guess so don't take it as gospel.

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
Just remember that Phil added all the detail to the rear panel of his model, as it was all missing when he got it.

HUNCH

Alphans
Are there any pics of the rear panel before he got it?
Edit- To elaborate, are the pics on starship modeler of the ship just after production? I'm in the process of detailing my "toy" SKY 1 and wonder if the pics I'm using are even accurate.
Also, the pics I've seen from different sources seem to have some parts intact while others do not and so on.
James Webb

Last edited:
Too true Mark42, that is why I am at this stage only taking the following into consideration.

The pictures DX supplied me are of SKY-1 after Phil got it but before he "restored" the detail on the rear panel.
At that point there was very little if at all none of the original detail left.

What there was was several of the truncated cone pieces that are around the edge (that appear to represent some kind of docking or alignment pins) and the outlines where the original detailing had been broken off, thus showing a grey outline in the overall Oyster Gold paint.
There were also several drawn on lines that appeared original.

We discussed at length and it appears that there are no known pictures of the detailing either as reference shots or screen shots, thus what is seen in the SSM pictures is what has been added after the fact, presumably with reference to the outlines of what had been removed. Thus I am pretty sure the SSM shots are NOT representative of just after production, rather after restoration.

DX may be able to provide a reduced size image of the area when he took the pictures, the images he sent me were sent on CD and are very large in size.

Good point about the drop tanks DX, but they would need to be from a 1/32 scale kit or larger I assume, making them presumably from a Revell 1/32 scale kit........a thought is did any Anderson models use other parts from such kits?

Cheers

Tony

DX-SFX

Alphans
American kits were used all the time including Revell so anything goes.

It appears that the 2 1/2 ft Skydiver was built and detailed first because the 5ft version has custom made scaled up plastic kit parts. That would suggest the missing detail on the biggest Sky 1 was probably also based on the small Skydiver.

I think I will start with the Revell kits then, or even the Monogram Phantom Mustang as I believe that was available at the time.

Cheers

Tony

DX-SFX

Alphans
I have a 1974 Revell catalogue and of the 1/32nd scale kits in there, the Thunderbolt P-47D (kit No. H-296), the Curtiss P40E (H-271 or H-283 = different colour schemes) and BF-109G Gustav (H-279) are shown with central drop tanks. The P-47D's tank looks too small so I'd investigate the others first.

HUNCH

Alphans
One shot of the model from SSM shows the right side, just below the cockpit where a clearly visible Oyster gold ring appears. I'm assumung this is one of the small "rings" that has fallen of to reveal the bright oyster gold paint beneath. Is this so? Also on the same pic there does not appear to be the two small half spheres along the side near the uppermost back section. There does not seem to be the tell tale gold spots where something is missing. Could it be that it did not have these parts, though the smaller models did? :think:Could they have been added later to be more like the smaller models? And why would they not be the "ring " shape like the left side? I'm trying to figure this out before I add the parts to my toy like version.
James

Elric

Alphans
I have a 1974 Revell catalogue and of the 1/32nd scale kits in there, the Thunderbolt P-47D (kit No. H-296), the Curtiss P40E (H-271 or H-283 = different colour schemes) and BF-109G Gustav (H-279) are shown with central drop tanks. The P-47D's tank looks too small so I'd investigate the others first.

From looking at photos of SKY-1 the teardrop shape looks very much like the top half of a Me-109 or Me-110 drop tank. If the H-279 (or another 1/32 Me-109 or 1/32 Me-110) drop tank is moulded in top/bottom parts the top part might fit the bill.

I'm only going on the shape here, not size, so it might be worthless comment!

I just had a quick look at an old Hasegawa 1/32 P-51D kit (js-086) and the teardrop shaped drop tanks in that look a bit too 'fat'.

DX-SFX

Alphans
They're probably too small on the grounds the Mustang had two small ones under the wings as apposed to a big one under the fuselage. In fact I know they're too small because the Airfix 1/24th scale kit has drop tanks and they're too small.

Elric

Alphans
They're probably too small on the grounds the Mustang had two small ones under the wings as apposed to a big one under the fuselage. In fact I know they're too small because the Airfix 1/24th scale kit has drop tanks and they're too small.

If it is a kit part it's got to be from one big drop tank.

HUNCH

Alphans
If you do have to make the parts, DONT do what I did. Irealized after gluing them into place they were wrong.
You will have to excuse my poor drawing (never could draw with a mouse).
The top shows my mistake.
The bottom shows how it should be (if I could draw). Once I realized it was more like an elongated ice cream cone, it was way too late in the game.:cry:
Hope this helps.