Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Slotted Spine with Formers

peter taft

Alphans
Hello one and all. For those of you new to this area of model building, i have created a picture based tutorial. This picture by picture method is sometimes easier to follow than mere words. This isn't the one and only method to do this type of build, but one i use in the main. The model this is part of is Stingray - This is Gary Pilsworth's design i am using. I will complete this model in this format for you all to see the process. This is a W.I.P {Work In Progress} form, this way everyone can see just exactly what is going on behind the finished model - a kind of paper journey from start to finished model. In the end, i just hope that this will help you get into this most wonderful hobby. We will move on to more complex things later down the line. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 001 Un-cut Former.jpg
    001 Un-cut Former.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 68
  • 008 Spine cut outs made.jpg
    008 Spine cut outs made.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 007Hole cut out.jpg
    007Hole cut out.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 28
  • 006 Cut out Glue tabs.jpg
    006 Cut out Glue tabs.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 005 Make Glue Tabs.jpg
    005 Make Glue Tabs.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 004 Draw around Former.jpg
    004 Draw around Former.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 003 Former before & After Sanding.jpg
    003 Former before & After Sanding.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 002 Cut Former.jpg
    002 Cut Former.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 012 Install formers to spine.jpg
    012 Install formers to spine.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 011 Wood base to pin keel or spine.jpg
    011 Wood base to pin keel or spine.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 38
  • 010Glue tabs to former.jpg
    010Glue tabs to former.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 009All formers and spine ready.jpg
    009All formers and spine ready.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 36

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Staff member
I have used this technique to build many a Keil Kraft Balsa model kit.

Following this one with particular interest as Stingray is a favourite. :D

peter taft

Alphans
My bad.... :cry: forgot to add these right angles to the formers. They are on now :thumbup:. Skins will be next :clap:.

Attachments

• 013 Formers 2.jpg
    013 Formers 2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 41

peter taft

Alphans
Update

Ok, we've moved on. I have managed to get skins 1 to 3 + the Ejector tubes installed. This area starts to get tight and a wee bit awkward - no rushing here, make sure all the sections are fully stuck before moving on. I have put a picture showing the differences in JOINS we use. There are 2 main ones, OVER LAPPING and BUTT joints, the picture will explain this better. We also use a technique called BURNISHING, we use a spoon or something similar {but smooth, and slightly rounded} we burnish a joint to make the join areas less noticeable - i haven't done any of this on the model YET, but you will see what effect this has when we get there. Updates here as son as possible.

Attachments

• 019 Skin 3 full fit.jpg
    019 Skin 3 full fit.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 018 Skin 3 and ejector tubes.jpg
    018 Skin 3 and ejector tubes.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 48
  • 017 Ejector tube.jpg
    017 Ejector tube.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 016 Skin 1 and 2b.JPG
    016 Skin 1 and 2b.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 015 Skin 1 and 2.JPG
    015 Skin 1 and 2.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 014 Joints.jpg
    014 Joints.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 35

Gixergs

Alphans
Show off!:) Looking good Pete:thumbup: I hope you post some finished pictures to the Stingray threads on PM and Z if only for the novelty of having something to do with Stingray in them:D.

peter taft

Alphans
Show off!:) Looking good Pete:thumbup: I hope you post some finished pictures to the Stingray threads on PM and Z if only for the novelty of having something to do with Stingray in them:D.

Cheers my friend. Yes i will post 'em up when complete. I haven't up-scaled this one :O

peter taft

Alphans
Sorry for the lack of piccys here - got toooo many projects on the go at the moment. So here's the finished model using the techniques shown here on this thread. Hope this has helped someone out there. I would like to thank Gary "THE Master" Pilsworth for this design - a nice model to build indeed. When i build her again, she will be up-scaled and have a cockpit, done in gloss paper too.... oh well that's in the far distant future. All the best guys. Pete.

Attachments

• DSC05902.JPG
    DSC05902.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC05905.JPG
    DSC05905.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Stingray Joins In The Rescue Effort.jpg
    Stingray Joins In The Rescue Effort.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 51