Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Smallspace: Hanslope July 1st 2012

clanger68

Alphans
Hi All,

Mat Irvine (BBC VFX), Mike Tucker (BBC VFX) and John Leeson (voice of Doctor Who's robot dog K9) are heading up a great event with exhibits of screen used and replica props and models on Sunday July 1st.

Please check out the website for more info.

Mat & Mike will be bringing many screen used props/models from the various shows they have worked on, including The Liberator from Blake's 7 and both K9's from Doctor Who.

Other exhibits from shows including Doctor Who, Blake's 7, Space 1999, Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds, etc, will be on display with some great photo opportunities.

Several guest exhibitors will be displaying models and props from a wide range of Science fact and Science fiction.

Including the guys from the Replica Prop Board.

A contingent of full sized Daleks will be patrolling the exterior grounds, beware!

Dealers, including Comet Miniatures, will be present selling a wide range of kits, props, modelling supplies, etc.

Including Comet Miniatures.

SMALLSPACE.

Sunday July 1st
10am - 5pm.

Just £2.00 Adult entry.

HANSLOPE VILLAGE HALL

Newport Road, Hanslope,

Bucks, MK19 7NZ

It should be a fun and fascinating day, hope to see some of you there.

- Cheers,

Andy

SteveDix

Alphans
Sigh. I never get to see these things.

You know, it's all too easy to think the grass is always greener. The truth of the matter is that, from what I've seen, you've got a pretty good scene going on over there with things like the Alien props exhibition you did.

I do a bit of stand-up comedy in English (and sometimes German) in the Cologne/Bonn area, mostly as part of Hollywood's comedy night. Last September, I went up to Berlin, because they have several English comedy shows, all weekly, instead of monthly. I was thinking of moving up there, to get more time. What I found there was a lot of little comedy shows, that didn't attract very big audiences in comparison with Hollywoods. It made me realize that we had something to be proud of on the Cologne/Bonn scene.

pjskeldon

Alphans
I've added descriptions to all of the shots. Hopefully this will help identify real props (filming miniatures) and reproductions. If I've mis-credited any models, let me know and I'll make amends.

The number of real props Mat Irvine and Mike Tucker managed to squeeze onto their stand meant that some views were impossible - being obscured by other models. My weakness for the Star Cops Moon buggy and Starbug 1 means there are more of these than others. Sorry! One thing that did surprise me - the Starbug prop was a much deeper green than I expected and yet the photos seem to show a much lighter green. It seems that getting this right is going to be as hard as painting Thunderbird 2 convincingly.

Dave Sisson's stand also had a very impressive selection of models, including his restored Eagle One.

So much talent it was humbling!

Phil.

Sage the Owl

Alphans
Great set of photo's, :clap: looks like it was an excellent show, makes me wish i'd gone to this instead of the Duxford airshow now.
I've never seen the Star Cops moon buggy miniature before but you've taken quite a comprehensive set of pics there.
Is it me or is there more than a hint of the UFO moonbase Interceptor about Ace Rimmer's ship ? take a look at the side view and I think you'll see what I mean.

Did you get a shots of the Liberator ? there are a couple of tantalising glimpses of the engine globe in the Moon Buggy pics.

pjskeldon

Alphans
That's all I took. There were many more props but I kept to the ones I was interested in (Starbug 1 and the Star Cops buggy). Sorry. There is at least one other thread with photos...

http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148239&highlight=photos

The Liberator is in a very poor state. I saw it when I was at a Telford model show a year or two back and it shocked me how dreadful it was. I'll try to dig out the pictures I took and add them here for those who haven't seen it.

I'm sure this is a testament to its handling BEFORE Mat Irvine took it under his wing. While I'm not a fan of B7, I think he'd probably done the right thing in keeping it as is, rather than attempting to restore it. Honestly, it would probably need to be almost totally re-built.

Phil.

SteveDix

Alphans
The Liberator is in a very poor state. I saw it when I was at a Telford model show a year or two back and it shocked me how dreadful it was. I'll try to dig out the pictures I took and add them here for those who haven't seen it.

I'm sure this is a testament to its handling BEFORE Mat Irvine took it under his wing. While I'm not a fan of B7, I think he'd probably done the right thing in keeping it as is, rather than attempting to restore it. Honestly, it would probably need to be almost totally re-built.

Years ago, when I met Mat, he told me that this was the Liberator that was destroyed at the end of the second season. At that time, it was nothing more than a box of bits. Apparently the Liberator was often under repair, as you can see in the VFX book, where one picture shows it being held together with gaffer tape wrapped round the 3 nacelles to relieve stress.

Sage the Owl

Alphans
Thanks for the Telford photo's Phil, I see what you mean about the Liberator although it looks to be in better condition now than when I saw it back in the '80's not long after the show finished.
Personally i'd like to see it restored back to its original filming appearance but i suppose it depends on how much of the structure would need to be replaced to do this.

Oh, love the "Wallace & Gromit at the movies" shots.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Superb photos !!! Did anyone manage to get some really nice stills of Zep-1 ?

I have some sent to me from Andy Hopkinson, Mike Tucker kindly let Andy photograph the model from all sides. Mike is a really nice guy who still loves and is very proud of the work done at BBC VFX. We all love it too Mike, thanks for sharing....

Glazy

Alphans
Great stuff, cheers for those ! :) It looks really Blake's 7 Federation colour scheme wise, almost like it could be from the show !

Last edited:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
I believe it was made by Bill Pearson in what has been termed as BBC VFX Orange... :lol:

Both Mike Tucker and Bill Pearson are on the forum, let's hope they can add more detail to the story. BTW, one Ron Thornton liked this design so much he used a CGI version in the pilot episode of Babylon 5, he did send me a screen cap but I need his permission to publish it, I'll ask him. As a side note, Bill made this model for the failed Dan Dare series and brought it to the BBC where he termed it as "The EMA Special" Ron picked up the design and recently contacted me requesting further images. Enter Mike Tucker who now owns this model, kindly obliging with some great images and a quick history more or less to date. He told me the model had the wings removed (which he wisely kept safe) and been repainted to be used in another series. He rescued the model and has been steadily restoring it since then, thank goodness he did..!

Glazy

Alphans
I believe it was made by Bill Pearson in what has been termed as BBC VFX Orange... :lol:

Both Mike Tucker and Bill Pearson are on the forum, let's hope they can add more detail to the story. BTW, one Ron Thornton liked this design so much he used a CGI version in the pilot episode of Babylon 5, he did send me a screen cap but I need his permission to publish it, I'll ask him. As a side note, Bill made this model for the failed Dan Dare series and brought it to the BBC where he termed it as "The EMA Special" Ron picked up the design and recently contacted me requesting further images. Enter Mike Tucker who now owns this model, kindly obliging with some great images and a quick history more or less to date. He told me the model had the wings removed (which he wisely kept safe) and been repainted to be used in another series. He rescued the model and has been steadily restoring it since then, thank goodness he did..!

Well it's good to know the model is in safe hands and getting restored, it's a real shame when models like these are either dumped or end up in a bad state of disrepair. They need to be preserved for others to marvel at ! More so now a lot of this stuff is done CGI, I mean nobody wants to view a hard drive that has the spaceship from say Avatar on it ! :) Speaking of Ron Thornton, does he know the whereabouts of the original Scorpio model ?!

Ham Salad

Alphans
You know, it's all too easy to think the grass is always greener. The truth of the matter is that, from what I've seen, you've got a pretty good scene going on over there with things like the Alien props exhibition you did.

Well, I suppose it's that one tends to be more impressed with things that one can't do one's self, rather than what one CAN do: when I look at my own work, all I can see is what I did wrong. Plus my techniques are now hopelessly obsolete: the techniques I used to do models in the '80s seem hopeless next to all the computer controlled this and laser cut that, you feel you can't really compete with hand tools and a lathe.

On the other hand, what I do I have to do by myself: it's isolating. I do feel that seeing how cheerful Phil and andy are about such things, that doesn't seem to bother them...and they do big things by themselves.

What I liked about the photos and exhibition was that it fits the way you imagine the UK is like from watching Doctor who: with Daleks pottering about on a daily basis, and piles of models from gerry anderson shows casually layed out on a table.