Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Solar panels for SID

pjskeldon

Alphans
I have almost completed UNCL's SID but am unhappy with the solar panels. Not the kit you understand, but the finish. Specifically, how can I finish the solar panels and make them look like the 'real' thing?

Does anyone know how it was done on the 'original' or has anyone worked out a way that looks convincingly similar?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Phil.

Eagle

Commander Ret.
Draw/print them? :)

Small Art Works Meta Probe - Speedbuild™

MkIXHawk

Alphans
I scratchbuilt a model which featured Solar panels. Taking my cue from real satellites, I painted the back face of some clear styrene in Humbrol 25.
SID, on the other hand has a pattern, more like the Aztec patterning on the Movie Enterprise-A

saturnapollo

Alphans
They may be solar panels, but I don't think there is a photo which shows them anything else than silver or metallic. I painted mine silver and using the raised grid lines painted aztec type areas with Humbrol No. 56 Aluminium.

Keith

Transporter

Alphans
For my Metaprobe project I was searching for pics of real solar panels. With photoshop I corrected size and number of panels. Then I made decals. Using pics of real solarpanels gives that kind of atztec look. So they do not look as clean as those of Eagles Metaprobe shown above. (Sorry, pics only when the whole thing is finished, which should hopefully not take many more years...:wtf:

pjskeldon

Alphans
Thanks guys, I guess SID's solar panels are as tricky as I thought.
I'm going to try something that combines some of each of your suggestions - print either a drawing or a photo of some real silver/blue solar panels and mount it under some thin colourless plastic sheet. I may then lightly scribe some fine grid pattern to break it up and make it look 'real'.

Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again for all your thoughts.
:)

Phil.

Propland

Chief Eagle Pilot
Hi Phil, if I may chime'in here I have found these techniques work well, in addition I would suggest using pre-scribed clear plastic with the scribing on the inside surface. Addtionally I found hold the clear about 1 foot away, and misting a super-light dusting of silver (again inside surface), just so you can barely see it as this adds a real dimension. Do we get to see the finished product? :yes:

solar panels for sid.

when i built my s.i.d i went on to the star ship modeller site, there is a section on babylon 5 and in this section it shows a cgi section of the hull of the station.,either in gray or blue. so i increased the size by 2 and scanned and printed it off. and used that for the solar panels, and a damn site better it was than anything i could have painted free-hand. go on give it a try!!!:thumbup::yes::yes::yes:

pjskeldon

Alphans
when i built my s.i.d i went on to the star ship modeller site, there is a section on babylon 5 and in this section it shows a cgi section of the hull of the station.,either in gray or blue. so i increased the size by 2 and scanned and printed it off. and used that for the solar panels, and a damn site better it was than anything i could have painted free-hand. go on give it a try!!!:thumbup::yes::yes::yes:

Now why didn't I think of that - thanks!:yes: