Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Space 1999 Eagle Transporter - The FAQ

Eagle

Commander Ret.
This thread is for frequently asked questions about the Eagle and all it's derivations. It's designer, its maker, its 'real-life' length and weight etc etc.

Let me have your FAQs and, together, we'll compile a list here by concensus that will benefit old-sweats and newcomers alike. :thumbup:

Feel free to chip-in with some answers as we go along too!

Q: Who designed the Eagle?
A: Brian Johnson

Q: Who built the Eagles for use on set?
A: Space Models, primarily the late Arthur 'Wag' Evans

Q: What size and scale were the studio models built in?
A: 44", 22", 11" & 5 1/2" - nominally 1/24th, 1/48th, 1/96th & 1/192nd scale respectively.

Q: What's the correct shade of white to paint them?
A:

Q: How heavy is an Eagle model?
A: The second 44" model weighs aprox 30 lbs. Full size if real is anybody's guess.

Q: What are the Eagles overall 'real-world' dimensions?
A:

Q: How many Eagles did Alpha Moonbase have?
A: According to official ITC publicity for series 1, Moonbase Alpha has 28 before Carter arrives.

Q: How many types of Eagles are there?
A:

Recon (standard)
Rescue
Laboratory
Freighter
Winch
VIP
any more?

TBC ...............

DX-SFX

Alphans

Brian Johnson.

Space Models, primarily the late Arthur 'Wag' Evans

44", 22", 11" & 5 1/2"

Nominally 1/24th, 1/48th, 1/96th & 1/192nd scale respectively.

Um... ooh.... er....?

Q: How heavy is an Eagle?

The second 44" model weighs aprox 30 lbs. Full size if real is anybody's guess. The weight quoted in Black Sun might include the crushing foam material too.

Q: What are the Eagles overall dimensions?

Model or speculative full size?

According to official ITC publicity for series 1, Moonbase Alpha has 28 before Carter arrives.

This is a nerd question. I'm just a geek.

CR

Alphans

Brian Johnson.

Space Models, primarily the late Arthur 'Wag' Evans

44", 22", 11" & 5 1/2"

Nominally 1/24th, 1/48th, 1/96th & 1/192nd scale respectively.

Um... ooh.... er....?

Q: How heavy is an Eagle?

The second 44" model weighs aprox 30 lbs. Full size if real is anybody's guess. The weight quoted in Black Sun might include the crushing foam material too.

Q: What are the Eagles overall dimensions?

Model or speculative full size?

According to official ITC publicity for series 1, Moonbase Alpha has 28 before Carter arrives.

This is a nerd question. I'm just a geek.

Yeah, if you were a nerd, you'd have known it was "Space Brain," not "Black Sun," which featured the crushing material. And I suspect you'd have listed Ford Diamond White as the 'proper' Eagle base colour. Not that I'm nerdy about this, or anything... :whistle:
;)

DX-SFX

Alphans
I assumed everyone knew about FDW. I'm also glad you spotted my deliberate mistake to draw the true nerds out into the sunshine. My plan worked! MU-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA

CR

Alphans
Ah, but I knew that was your plan all along, so I played along to draw you out! Heh, heh, heh. :sneaky:
This could degenerate into the 'poisoned-wine' scene in The Princess Bride if we're not careful. Then again, that might be kind of fun.

DX-SFX

Alphans
Ha, you fell for my hexidecimal bluff! I knew you knew I knew who knew I knew before you knew I knew. Even if you knew, I knew you'd suspect I'd know but wouldn't say in case I didn't know. I love it when a well rehearsed plan comes together. :lol:

gojira61

Forum Supporter
So if we use "Bride" logic then when Carter crashes an Eagle it's only mostly crashed, not completely crashed?

Last edited:

CR

Alphans
Never go in against an Alphan when death is on the line! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! AAH! HA! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! Ahh, ha, ha, h- (keels over)

Ha, you fell for my hexidecimal bluff! I knew you knew I knew who knew I knew before you knew I knew. Even if you knew, I knew you'd suspect I'd know but wouldn't say in case I didn't know. I love it when a well rehearsed plan comes together. :lol:

Little do they know how little we know about the little that they know. If only we knew the little that they know we'd know a lttle.... :D

BTW, was Terry Reed involved in building any of the Eagles ?

DX-SFX

Alphans
I just knew you'd say that.

He ran the studio modelshop. Collectively they would do running repairs and repaints. I suspect Terry or one of his minions built the dodgy 11" Eagle.

DX-SFX

Alphans
I've always believed that to be true but my source has proved less than reliable. I got as far as tracking Derek Freeborn down but never enquired further. He's retired now and his son has carried on the business. Funnily enough, the company is known more for sculpture work than modelmaking.

Rdrunner

Alphans
Did you guys know that DX and Mark42 were those little kids that were running around the studio when the Eagles were designed and filmed, thats why, these guys have some much input :yes: :thumbup: :p

DX-SFX

Alphans
Actually finding Derek was easier than that. Last year I was working with someone who worked with them for years and had kept in touch. :lol:

DARKVIEW

Forum Supporter
A: celulose matt white primer, martin bower told me on the 26/08/77:thumbup:

above some photos he gave me signed on back.

Last edited: