Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Space 1999 Environments in Virtual Reality

Nova66

Alphans
Hi Everyone, I've been experimenting with the coloured wall panels in the virtual Moonbase alpha set. It's not an exact match but I think I got pretty close to the spirit of the physical set from the 1970s :)

I had to refactor the 3D model to make it easy to choose between the different coloured wall panel options. From what I could tell, the TV show featured a host of colours ranging from White to Orange to peach to Green to Red and even Blue but in the end I went with White, Orange, & Green which I think covers most of the episodes that we see in season one.

Interestingly, the coloured panels don't seem to appear until the latter half of season one and when they do, the light panels in the top half of Main Mission are always turned off. In my model I didn't turn off those upper wall panels but I did make them white, even when the lower panels were coloured differently. It seems to me that the TV show got away with this approach because they always supplemented each shot with strategically placed spotlights which is a cheat that can not work with the global approach to lighting that Virtual Reality requires.

All in all though, I think the effect of the coloured wall panels is striking and lends a nice amount of visual interest to the set.

Here are a few test renders that feature the three different illuminated wall panel colours:

Cheers for now :)

Nova66

Alphans
On the theme of coloured wall panels, I’ve gone ahead and added two more options giving a total of five coloured panels to choose from (White, Red, Peach, Orange, & Green).

I’ve updated the 360° panoramas of Main Mission and Commander Koenig’s office which you can see in the following links. As usual, on a PC you can click and drag on the image to look around or if you are on your mobile phone you can either use your finger or the built in motion sensors to look around the panorama.

Main Mission 01 - White Wall Panels

Main Mission 02 - White Wall Panels

Main Mission 03 - White Wall Panels

Main Mission 04 - White Wall Panels

Commander Koenig’s Office 01 - Orange Wall Panels

Commander Koenig’s Office 02 - Green Wall Panels

Commander Koenig’s Office 03 - Peach Wall Panels

Commander Koenig’s Office 04 - Red Wall Panels

Nova66

Alphans
Hi everyone, I’ve updated a few more of the 360° panoramas. This time it is of the Corridor set with the White, Green, Peach, and Orange illuminated wall panels:

Travel Tube 01 - White Wall Panels

Corridors 01 - Green Wall Panels

Corridors 02 - Peach Wall Panels

Corridors 03 - Orange Wall Panels