Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Space 1999 Launch Pad model kit

Alex, there's 8 on the list and I'm afraid, the longer the wait the more will lose interest and THOSE of us
who really want one will lose out altogether.

A commitment works both ways and most of us know what putting a name on a list means.

At what point, will this happen or not? Are we just wasting our time here?

If you want a down payment to firm it up we can do that too.

Last edited:

Scifitodd

Forum Supporter
We need to find out who would put up a deposit (refundable if not produced) for this kit and see if this can move forward. I agree with Richard, in time everyone will only lose the interest in this and it won't happen.

It's one thing to writedown your name on a waiting list and quite another to pay the bill once you get the invoice (I have been decieved quite a few times in the past by 'serious' buyers...)
Alex

How about asking something like $100 non-refundable deposit and half up front? I thought this would've happened by now, since Nov. and that you had the molds/moulds. I just don't know what else those of us are interest can do???

I might consider a small rerun if there is enough demand.

Still, as this point, I don't want to make any promises as to if I will do a rerun, next Fall or Winter say, but if interest is still there
In Nov you said you might consider a small run if there was enough demand and since then, we've produced a list of 8. Now July, and you still can't promise a run and expect those who have shown interest to just hang on until fall or winter with the possibility it may not happen at all.

After Todd and I campaigned to get more interested and get this going, a longer wait only makes ppl lose interest and give them a reason to leave.

With Ken's / MiMs kit on the horizon, some will abandon ship and get whatever launch pad they can. If only a few leave the list, it will make it that much more difficult for those who wanted an Alex/JS Launch pad and have already waited this long for one.

Last edited:

Alex Dumas

Alphans
Guys, I understand your frustration but having only 8 interested peoples is not even enough to cover the initial money and effort in making a rerun (and that is if everyone pays in the end...) To me, I must be sure to sell at least 20 on the long run to make it worth the investment.

I don't recall committed myself into making a rerun yet and one thing for sure, I won't ask for a deposit before being absolutely sure I can make this.

I may have another solution to speed up the process and gives this a better chance of happening but you need to understand me here, this is a hobby for me which means I do this when I have the time... Family, friends and job comes first. And I am not to a point where I need this money to close the month (fortunately :))

Thanks for your understanding, guys.

Alex

Thanks for the update.

I thought the original plan was a small run? 20 seems to be a rather large run and
I don't think this site has had many (or any) list up to 20 for anything (going back 6 years).
Most list are lucky to get up to 10!!

I look forward to whatever solution you have to speed up the process and give those who want to purchase the Launch Pad a better chance of this happening and I appreciate you time and effort.

Last edited:

Alex Dumas

Alphans
I don't aim at having 20 firm orders (not for that kind of kit anyway). Half of that would probably make the cut. The amount of silicon needed for this one is subtensive to say the least. Well engineered moulds with top quality silicon will last for 40 to 50 castings. So, 20 for me make it worth the trip.

Hang on for some news around the end of Summer 8)

Thanks for the update.

I thought the original plan was a small run? 20 seems to be a rather large run and
I don't think this site has had many (or any) list up to 20 for anything (going back 6 years).
Most list are lucky to get up to 10!!

I look forward to whatever solution you have to speed up the process and give those who want to purchase the Launch Pad a better chance of this happening and I appreciate you time and effort.

Hang on for some news around the end of Summer 8)

Okay guys :D, you heard the man, just a few more months. We have 8 interested and I hope everyone who put their names are still eager and enthusiastic. If there's anymore out there who's wants one, you have a few more months to save:thumbup:

There's been a number of great builds of this kit (Paul, Oliver and Jorge)
And for those who have 12" Eagles, this would make a great Landing Pad for it:thumbup:

1. Workshop Artist
2. AguiaLusa
3. cireskul
4. richardlamer
5. rockwellcm
6. Stu73
7. dion1701
8. toddyboy766

rockwellcm

Alphans
I have to be honest,if something else comes along before Alex gets round to this i will go with them
Postage charges to the UK are heavy (from Canada) i have to factor that into the purchase
in fact i purchased a brand new Swift kit without a direct purchase from Alex, and it worked out cheaper.
So no Guarantees from me until these `kits`are ready to go

Richard you also have to be realistic,Paul and Jorge both have Jim Smalls original kit,so Alex`s version may differ in Price and quality
i also know how much Paul paid for his,and it is not even a 1/4 of what Alex is asking (the last time i enquired) for his version

with that said i am more than happy to pay Alex`s asking price,but like you Richard i wonder if this will in fact `happen`

Last edited:
To also be honest, I was very hopeful when Alex mentioned he would do a small run if there was enough interest - but I'm not as hopeful now it will happen at all or anytime soon:no:

I hoped the list of 8 would've got this going by now but only learned a "small" run is more like 20.:wtf::wtf: There's no commitment that it will be made at all although Alex mentions he may have a solution to speed up the process and give this a better chance. (whatever that means???)

Alex bought Jim Small's molds (moulds), so I don't see why the quality or version would be any different. The price is the same I believe as when Alex previously quoted me.

The BIG problem is there's a kit coming out in the next few weeks which is similar and less than half the price. These are pretty big kits and I don't see people buying more than one. Neither kit is studio accurate and in the end you will have a Launch Pad.

If one is available now vs one that may 'eventually' (or not at all), I think most ppl will take the first option.

saturnapollo

Alphans
Whilst not in the market for a launch pad kit, I would issue a note of caution regarding the kit from MiM.

Going ONLY from my dealings with them from a kit of the 2010 Leonov from the self same source and kit manufacturer, I would urge caution until someone here can actually view the finished pad. Leonov was a total disaster of a kit - badly cast, warped, inaccurate, detail not applied straight. So bad it is the only model I have returned in my entire life and still lost £70 on the deal. But it was un uphill struggle with MiM to recover even that.

I must stress only MY experience on dealings with the producers and distributers, but please be careful.

Keith

PS And no I've no connection with Alex Dumas.

Thanks Keith,

I certainly concur with everything you said. There have been many unfavorable stories about MIM but I believe the person making this Launch Pad is on this site so it may not be coming directly from MIM. ??? (I'm not sure).

I have seen the build on therpf site and it's looking good so far.

Realistically, there MAY be 5 definites out of the 8 on the list, so I really DON"T KNOW if it will happen or not. And, we may lose a few more ppl on the list because this kit is coming out soon while we don't know when or if the Alex kit will.

I've also bought a few garage kits in the past that ended up in the dumpster:cry:

Last edited:

saturnapollo

Alphans
Yes the person is on this site and is the same person who produced the Leonov kit. He won't like the critique I'm sure, but I can only report my experience . In no way I'm saying that the launch pad is of the same quality - but I'd certainly be cautious until proven otherwise.

Keith

Last edited:
Yes the person is on this site and is the same person who produced the Leonov kit. He won't like the critique I'm sure, but I can only report my experience . In no way I'm saying that the launch pad is of the same quality - but I'd certainly be cautious until proven otherwise.

Keith

Thanks Keith, :thumbup:

Really appreciate your feedback.

Alex Dumas

Alphans
:eek: I can't believe Chris is making those for $200... Few castings I was able to pull out from Jim's original moulds cost about $100 worth of resin (silicon not included). Jump on it guys! I would do the same at that price IF quality and accuracy is there. On my side, there is no way I could go under $400 per kit to make it worth the trip, sorry.

:think: I assume a good rotocast machine does the trick afterall... Doing so manually is a pain.

Still, can't wait to see the first reviews coming in.

I would guess the average builder buys in small quanties and at retail price while businesses buy in larger quantity and at cost or below retail.

Comparing Smooth Cast 300, pint cost $26. while a gallon cost $85 retail.

Does the Launch Pad take a gallon of resin?

Has anyone bought/received the Larson Launch Pad yet and can provide some feedback on the kit?

Last edited:

Duey

Alphans
Ok, this is Chris Larson of LARSON DESIGNS/LUNAR MODELS.
I have sent off 4 kits so far and you will get some feed back soon.
Now as the cost of resin goes, I buy 5 GL kits so the price is low.
I only use Smooth Cast 300 for all my kits.
Also I email pictures of the cast parts before I mail out the kit.
This way you know what you are getting and no surprises. :thumbup:

:cheers:

Last edited:
Ok, this is Chris Larson at LARSON DESIGNS/LUNAR MODELS.
I have sent off 4 kits so far and you will get some feed back soon.
Now as the cost of resin goes, I buy 5 GL kits so the price is low.
I only use Smooth Cast 300 for all my kits.
Also I email pictures of the cast parts before I mail out the kit.
This way you know what you are getting and no surprises. :thumbup:

:cheers:

Thanks for the info Chris.
From the pics I have seen and the build on RFP, the parts look very good.
I'm not sure if both kits are equal in size or take approx. the same amount of resin or how thick parts are from one kit to another.

5Gal Smooth-On 300 is about $400. retail. How many Launch Pads will 5 Gal do :p

I believe, some SAW kit builders also used some wood inside for additional internal support.

Last edited: