Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

  • We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Space 1999 Moon Buggy

badsimmonds

Alphans
Continuing with my smaller projects this time its a Century Castings moon buggy.
The finished kit is around 7" long and comes with the option of having headlights (all parts supplied) As you can see there are not many parts so hopefully it should complete with no major problems, though I have a bad history with decals and looking at the supplied sheet I'm sure I'll make a hash of them.
According to the instructions it should be painted yellow before assembly so I dutifully primed the parts but did not spray the yellow as I wanted to make some changes. To access the battery switch he two halves of the body are meant to be held together using the supplied magnets but I decided to glue the two parts together and fill any gaps with P38. After some sanding and more primer I sprayed the body Halfords Ford Daytona Yellow as I had it on my shelf.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF9765 (3).JPG
    DSCF9765 (3).JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF9794.JPG
    DSCF9794.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF9803.JPG
    DSCF9803.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF9947.JPG
    DSCF9947.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
The wheels for this kit come in two parts and have to be glued together. All the wheels are numbered 1 - 6 so its easy to match them together though you might have to adjust them slightly. Before gluing them together I drilled the axle hole in one part. Next was a bit of sanding then priming and once dry I sprayed them Halfords Matt Black.
The brass axles are supplied and the length will need trimming to fit. I glued the axle in one wheel and fitted it in place and glued on the other wheel. To make sure no glue fell on the paint I used a piece of masking tape to protect it.
With all the wheels in place its beginning to look like an Amphicat.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF9963.JPG
    DSCF9963.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF9961.JPG
    DSCF9961.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF9946.JPG
    DSCF9946.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF9801 (2).JPG
    DSCF9801 (2).JPG
    118 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF9795.JPG
    DSCF9795.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 15

badsimmonds

Alphans
Not much more to do on this kit as there are few parts to deal with. The painting is complete and most of the parts are in place. The two hand levers are 3d printed and I just couldn't get them smooth so in the end I replaced them with some alumium rod so I won't need to paint them though I did add a short length of pipe at the top for the hand grips which I hand painted matt black. They just slot into the pre-drilled holes so I didn't use any glue.

The one area I knew I would have great difficulty with were the decals, for some reason I'm totally useless when it comes to them. I ruined all the striped sections, fortunately these days I have a habit of scanning decals into the computer so I had a fall back. I printed them onto ordinary paper which was better, not perfect but reasonably acceptable to me, and glued them on using spray adhesive.

For some extra details I made an aerial out of flower tie wire and glued it into a small round base which was then sprayed matt black. I also created a couple of Moonbase Alpha container boxes out of a couple of old model cans, these were sprayed matt white with some vinyl coloured tape stripes added.

That's about that, the only modification I made was gluing the body sections together and making the seat removable so you could access the light switch and battery pack.

This is a great little kit and it would make a great addition to any collection.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF9979.JPG
    DSCF9979.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF9976.JPG
    DSCF9976.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF9966.JPG
    DSCF9966.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 9

badsimmonds

Alphans
Here are some finished photos of the kit.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0021.JPG
    DSCF0021.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0019.JPG
    DSCF0019.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0017.JPG
    DSCF0017.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 24

badsimmonds

Alphans
Thanks for your comments, I enjoyed building this kit as its nice and simple for a change.
My next project has started and its back to scratch building again, plus its a non-Anderson subject which might surprise some people.
 
Top