Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Space 1999 soundtrack question

Deeply unsettling.....

I found this music disturbing in the Darians' episode, but even more so when the monster appears in Dragon's Domain. Still find it affecting after all these years, as if I'm returning to a particularly unpleasant childhood dream. The music in Season 1 was truly magnificent, fully orchestral and meaningful, and befitting a show of 1999's vast span.

So often these days film soundtracks are reduced to the same two or three notes repeated over and over (Nolan's Batman film featuring The Joker - two ascending notes over and over - and then, by the same director, Inception with almost the same two notes played in a descending order!)

Anyway, enough of my grumblings - sorry for hijacking the thread.....

Kindest regards

Patrick

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Music Of Note(s)...

I found this music disturbing in the Darians' episode, but even more so when the monster appears in Dragon's Domain. Still find it affecting after all these years, as if I'm returning to a particularly unpleasant childhood dream. The music in Season 1 was truly magnificent, fully orchestral and meaningful, and befitting a show of 1999's vast span.

So often these days film soundtracks are reduced to the same two or three notes repeated over and over (Nolan's Batman film featuring The Joker - two ascending notes over and over - and then, by the same director, Inception with almost the same two notes played in a descending order!)

Anyway, enough of my grumblings - sorry for hijacking the thread.....

Kindest regards

Patrick

Comes down, perhaps, to the story those notes (however many or few) are telling...joyous or somber, or even downright menacing!

We had a number of classical music albums (full orchestra) around the house, back when; loved listening to the likes of Peter and the Wolf, Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite and so on. All those notes, in the hands of someone who knew how to use them, told wonderful stories!

Come Holst's Mars The Bringer Of War (from The Planets), though, fasten your seatbelts - rarely has so vast a range and depth of sheer emotive power been summoned forth by endless driven repetition, layering upon layering, over a single note - as sublimely demonstrated by Y1's Space Brain...

Still in awe...but as you very aptly point out, not everyone can do that well (or at all!)...

SteveDix

Alphans

Ah, but there's a reason for those notes in the Inception soundtrack : a rather clever easter-egg that all comes back to the signal used to wake the characters.

I'll not say more, other than a search on youtube can produce dividends.

johnnybear

Alphans
The creepy organ music appeared four times in 1999. Ring Around The Moon, Mission of The Darians, Dragon's Domain and a fleeting appearance in One Moment of Humanity!
JB

dep1701

Alphans
This cue has finally shown up on the Fanderson "Space:1999 Year One 40th Anniversary" 3 CD release. It's looped and overlayed with sound FX from "Dragon's Domain", "Ring Around The Moon" and "Mission Of The Darians" in different sections. Check the link below and scroll down. It did appear briefly in the 2nd year episode "One Moment Of Humanity" just before the androids begin their plan to drive Koenig into a jealous rage.

http://www.fanderson.org.uk/fansales/fansale.html#CD