Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Space 1999 - The Video Game

cmdrkoenig67

Alphans
I'd love to play a fun and engaging Space:1999 computer game (I also agree about the atmosphere...It needs to have the feel of a Y1 episode)...But there's no reason it can't have lots of adventure and action in it.

Perhaps a variety of mission types is good too...A couple of Moonbase alien invasions, a few investigations of weird space phenomena/derelict ships/alien artifacts, a couple Eagle dogfights with alien attackers, friendly alien encounters, a few planet/asteroid/moon explorations (with dangers or without), investigating the mysteries of the moon (Luna may hold her own secrets), interactions with Moonbase personnel (both friendly and not so friendly, I would imagine some Alphans may go a bit stir crazy), maybe even a Moonbase murder mystery?

Dana

Last edited:

chrisu

Alphans
What I would do, relating to your ideas:
* Everything is played in the ego-perspective
* Additional views are free to activate or what about a replay-mode for vehicle-actions
* Action stuff (vehicle and personal)
* Typical adventure things but from the ego-perspective
* A plot (storyline)

Relating to the storyline: WHO could do that and WHEN (relating to the original story) would it be set?

cheers

Chrisu

There might have to be two versions - a year one and a year two. Otherwise there would be a problem with series continuity. Otherwise the scenario could be stand alone.

Creating Alpha interiors would also be fairly straightforward as all the sets were modular construction.

skiffy

Alphans
As an experienced games artist and modeller, what you're suggesting is a huge undertaking chrisu. Good luck though - I'll keep an eye on the thread and offer any help and advice I can.

chrisu

Alphans
OK, how I'm starting: In the very first step I will develop a fully functional alpha-base environment from first-person-perspective.
1.) So the first milestone is enjoyable as isolated "product" for investigating alpha.
2.) The next steps are the vehicles and a therefore needed BIG moonscape.
3.) Then the grown simulator will be enhanced by missions-stuff.
Are there already some 3D-meshes of the moonbase available?

Cheers,
Chrisu.

dougkeenan

Alphans
Are there already some 3D-meshes of the moonbase available?

Cheers,
Chrisu.
Several exteriors at different poly resolutions are available, and a few interiors or interior components (wall sections, etc.). My own exterior and MM aren't the best but I'm happy to donate them if you'd like.

MkIXHawk

Alphans
Bearing in mind the modular nature of the original Alpha sets, I'm sure that part of the game set in the base would be comparatively simple to arrange (think 'Half Life').
There's also the 'Sims' aspect where you have to balance resources to ensure the continued survival of the Base and its inhabitants.
For the Eagles etc you've got a Flight simulator with combat options...
Exploring new planets could be done like in Halo
You know, the more I think about it, the more possible it seems...

chrisu

Alphans
Several exteriors at different poly resolutions are available, and a few interiors or interior components (wall sections, etc.). My own exterior and MM aren't the best but I'm happy to donate them if you'd like.
Yes please, share them with me and I'll take a look at them what I can use. As usuall for games I low poly models are the more preferable ones.
Actually I'm modeling a launching pad, it's the complex building I think. Anyway, what I really need are some top view images of launching pads that have no eagle on - I could use them for texturing.

Cheers,
Chrisu.

chrisu

Alphans
A stupid question: when an eagle goes down with the elevator on a launch pad is there some kind of platform that fills up the hole it leaves?

dougkeenan

Alphans
Low poly? There's an excellent low poly MBA here. As for the pad, I don't know if there's a good overhead view ready to use for texturing. There is a good b/w graphic in the Technical Manual. Maybe it could be scaled and flood-filled in a 2D app with appropriate colors?

chrisu

Alphans
Low poly? There's an excellent low poly MBA here. As for the pad, I don't know if there's a good overhead view ready to use for texturing. There is a good b/w graphic in the Technical Manual. Maybe it could be scaled and flood-filled in a 2D app with appropriate colors?
Thx for this advice, check it out and I can say I'll definitly use/work with this meshes!

Btw.: My launchpad model is ready modelled.

Cheers,
Chrisu.

Dr Kane

Alphans
I've taken the liberty of doing some preliminary work on this. I'm pleased with my progress so far. I'm confident my designs will excite today's discerning gamers.

skiffy

Alphans
Dr Kane - you could just normal map all that low frequency detail on your eagle and leave it to the lighting solution. lol

chrisu - do you plan to 'mod' for an existing 3d rendering engine or use an available open-source solution? That decision will help tie down what kinds of gameplay dynamics are possible, as well as give you production pipelines for game asset formats.

chrisu

Alphans
My engine of choice is Acknex - provided with 3D-Game-Studio, which I'm working with (Version 7). So even rigid physics are available. :brows: