Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Space City Control

mimrie

Alphans
A smallish part of a bigger project I'm working on, just to whet your appetite.

All comments welcome.

Mick.

Attachments

• Zero'sConsole.jpg
    Zero'sConsole.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 62

mimrie

Alphans
View from the other side..

Here's the view from the Commander's chair.

Mick

Attachments

• ZerosConsole02.jpg
    ZerosConsole02.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 18

mimrie

Alphans
The start of the rest...

So, you've probably gathered that I'm making the Space City control room; I'm using a photomatching technique similar to the one used to produce the Tracey Lounge set for the TB 1966 episodes.
Here's a screen grab of Commander Zero's corner from 'A day in the life..' with some primitive geometry overlaid to give you an idea.
Happy to go into the process in more detail if anyone is interested.

Mick

Attachments

• Photomatching.jpg
    Photomatching.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 43

mimrie

Alphans
Zero's Corner

Here's the scene with some proper geometry added.
Obviously there are still some unfinished bits; the large console on the left only really features in "A day in the life.." so I'm going to replace it with the round radar display which is usually there and the textures are just place holders.

Mick

Attachments

• ZerosCorner.jpg
    ZerosCorner.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 33

mimrie

Alphans
The bigger picture...

Here's an update on admittedly slow progress.
After much head scratching I'm now reasonably happy with the overall dimensions and am starting to fill in the details.

Mick

Attachments

• CR050.jpg
    CR050.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 40

Ham Salad

Alphans
So, you've probably gathered that I'm making the Space City control room; I'm using a photomatching technique similar to the one used to produce the Tracey Lounge set for the TB 1966 episodes.

That is rather a job of work, Still, it looks great!

I wish I had gotten in on that run of dvd's of those episodes...now I'll never get to see them.

mimrie

Alphans
Small discovery...

I’ve always wondered what the items on the ‘Fire Alarm Panel’ were (to the left of the door behind Zero’s desk) and then, by chance and after hours of browsing, I stumbled across one of the answers..
…the funny black box at the bottom of the panel is a Belling and Lee fuse holder; I am now the proud owner of one and have accurized my model. (For reference it is exactly 2 inches long)
If anyone knows what three rows above the fuse holder are I’d love to know. I imagine they are electrical connection boxes of some sort but haven’t been able to trace the model.

Mick

Attachments

• BLfuseholder.jpg
    BLfuseholder.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 26
  • FireAlarmPanels.jpg
    FireAlarmPanels.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 27

mimrie

Alphans
Another update; not too much left to do now.

The small console was a quick afterthought; I'll have to re-do the toggle switches, they're not quite right, and the mesh size is a bit small.

Be good to hear your thoughts.

Mick

Attachments

• Cornerconsoles.jpg
    Cornerconsoles.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 21
  • SmallConsole.jpg
    SmallConsole.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 22
  • CornerConsole.jpg
    CornerConsole.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 17

mimrie

Alphans
wall details..

Another small update; the wall details behind Ninety's desk and the mesh detailing to the tall monitor.

Things left to tackle are the texturing for the space sector monitor, the wall box to the right of the tall monitor on Zero's side, the globe/clock seen on the balcony and the end wall. Not decided yet whether to do the elevator interior.

Thanks for viewing; comments would be nice. More soon...

Mick

Attachments

• Wall Details01.jpg
    Wall Details01.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Wall Details02.jpg
    Wall Details02.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 18

mimrie

Alphans
Sector Scanner...

First draft of the Sector Scanner image.
This is the version from Planet 46; Sabotage had different Sector numbers (variously 27,28,29 and 27,28,25) and some new star patterns in sector 29/25, The Day The Earth Froze had Sector Numbers 27/28/29 with the original (Plane 46) star map. There was also the version from Drama at Space City which was as for Planet 46 but Jonathon Zero and Zoonie played noughts and crosses on it!

Mick

Attachments

• SectorScanner.jpg
    SectorScanner.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 18

mimrie

Alphans
Here's another installment...
This is the wall box that sits to the side of the tall monitor console on Commander Zero's side of the control room. It is very poorly seen on screen so this can only be considered "an artists impression". In early episodes 4 pipes went from the outlets on the bottom of the box to the grommets on the side of the monitor console. The cover plate on the right hand side has a logo on it but I don't have any images good enough to make it out.

Mick

Attachments

• Wall Details03.jpg
    Wall Details03.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 17

mimrie

Alphans
the finishing post...

I've added the overhead panel meters, the Globe/Clock, the WSP sign, the 'window' wall and generally tidied the model up a bit.
I think it's time I moved on to something else now but will probably do some beauty renders with proper lighting.

Mick

Attachments

• WholeModel.jpg
    WholeModel.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 24
  • ZerosCorner.jpg
    ZerosCorner.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 22
  • NinetysCorner.jpg
    NinetysCorner.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 24

mimrie

Alphans
Moving on...

Here's a quick peek at my current project, still in the Fireball universe.
Still quite a bit to do with the hull goemetry and no cockpit interior as yet. The windscreen and chairs are just quick placeholders.
It would be nice to make this 3d printable.

Mick

Attachments

• StevesCar_200619.JPG
    StevesCar_200619.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 30

badsimmonds

Alphans
Amazing work, I can hardly draw using paper and pencil so I'm in awe of folks who can do this sort of thing.
I really like Steve's car as I was thinking of building this vehicle but never had enough info to get me started. Looking forward to any future posts Mimrie.

mimrie

Alphans
Z-Car build thread?

Many thanks for your kind comments, I was beginning to think I was on my own here!

I was thinking of starting another thread devoted to the Z-Car build and give an overview of the process I go through to make models like this and prepare them for 3d printing (spoiler...drawing skills not required). Not the minutia of 3d modelling but stuff that might be of interest to a wider modelling audience.

The attached pic shows my first test prints of the model in roughly quarter puppet scale; roughly because I model every thing in puppet scale and aim to print in scale for the Big Chief replicas which I think are a bit bigger than half puppet size: this test print is sized at half of 'Big Chief' scale. The colour scheme is just me using up filament remnants.

I know most of the members here are physical modellers but boundaries are becoming blurred (I've had to learn to fill, sand and airbrush) so I look forward to seeing if there is any interest in this.

Mick

Attachments

• Z-Car_01.jpg
    Z-Car_01.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 22

badsimmonds

Alphans
Again I have to say great work on the test 3d model version, I really must start work on this vehicle sometime soon as you've reminded me how good it looks.
Great stuff

mimrie

Alphans
Thanks again for your comments.

It doesn't seem as if there's any interest in a full build log but I'll post updates here; photos show car after second round of filling, sanding and filler primer. Starting to look good but still more work needed at the back. I've not quite decided how much effort to put into the interior.

The puppet prop has round trim round the cockpit edge, any ideas what I could use for that?

Mick

Attachments

• z-caro5.jpg
    z-caro5.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 8
  • z-car06.jpg
    z-car06.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 8
  • z-car04.jpg
    z-car04.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 10
  • z-car03.jpg
    z-car03.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 11

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi there

As I don't know the shape of this trim my suggestions could be rubbish but I'd might look at using some thin plastic strips glued round the edge and once dry give a slight sanding to curve the edges. Another idea would be to use thin electrical wire that's had the internal wires pulled out leaving only the protective cover and fitting that in place.
I think my first idea is probably easier as I'm sure half round plastic strips are available as I've used them before, if there are tight curves then I usually heat the strips up by rubbing them through my fingers. I find this method warms them up enough to bend them without distorting them.
Sorry I'm not much help but whatever method you come up with it will look fab.

Regards lack of interest in build diary's, I sometimes wonder if its worthwhile posting them as you can get so little interest. People might look but not comment, I still post as I like to show my efforts to those who may be interested.

Last edited:

mimrie

Alphans
Just a small update,
I've adjusted the ribs so they now work for 3d printing and have printed out the top set as shown in the pics; these bits are straight off the printer so looking very rough.
The panel lights are too small for me to print with my printers so I'm trying to make some out of LEDs and nylok nuts (I'll post some pics next time).
The only major bit still to do is the windscreen; I was going to make a former and try to melt some PETG sheeting over it. Does anyone have any experience of that? What thickness of sheet would you use, 0.5 - 1 mm?

Mick

Attachments

• z-car_06.jpg
    z-car_06.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 9
  • z-car_07.jpg
    z-car_07.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 9
  • z-car_08.jpg
    z-car_08.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 9
  • z-car_09.jpg
    z-car_09.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 11

badsimmonds

Alphans
Steve's car looks great, I really do fancy making one.
As to windscreen I'd personally use 1mm thickness as it gives it a bit of strength. I've shaped various windscreens in the past and that's the size I use. To be sure you should try it on various sizes to find one your happy with.
If the shaping process goes awry then just use a hot air gun on the plastic and it will go back to its original shape.