Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Space City Control

mimrie

Alphans
Here is my first attempt at a windscreen... yes, I know it's very rough.
It's 1mm PETG which I heated in the oven to 160 C until it was soft. I then quickly shaped it to a 3d printed (PLA) windscreen former.

The obvious problems are;
1. I had the PETG sheet on some baking foil in the oven...bad idea it stuck to the foil a bit and produced marks all over the plastic.
2. During the heating the plastic curled up and did not fully flatten out again.

I will try again using a heat gun; I didn't do that to start with because I was concerned it might soften the PLA former.

Mick

Attachments

• z-car_10.jpg
    z-car_10.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 20
  • z-car_11.jpg
    z-car_11.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 16

mimrie

Alphans
I'm new to this so am sort of making it up as I go...

The pics attached show the black edging used around the windscreen, which at the scale I'm working at (roughly 1/4 puppet) translates to about 1mm diameter. The lower edging had what looks like black tape added to it for the Forbidden Plant which makes it look thicker.

At your suggestion I looked at electrical cable but struggled to get something the right size and found it quite difficult to work with. I've found that 1mm heat shrink tube (unshrunk) works quite well and is easy to split to slip over the edge of the windscreen. My plan was simply to superglue the tubing to windscreen and then to the car body.

I may still try to use electric cable for the edging around the cockpit which will be nearer 2mm at my scale.

Mick

Attachments

• Windscreen_WingsOfDanger.jpg
    Windscreen_WingsOfDanger.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Windscreen_TheForbiddenPlanet.jpg
    Windscreen_TheForbiddenPlanet.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 8

badsimmonds

Alphans
I'm just the same as you by making things up as I go along. There are far more experienced modellers on this site than me but if I was building it I'd cut a grove in the body for the windscreen which would give a much stronger bond. Cutting the grove would be messy but by using your first windscreen as a template and using the parcel tape and filler method you could achieve a neat and tight fitting for the screen.
For the cockpit edging I'd use some half round plastic strips which can be curved round the edge and glued. Any excess glue etc could then be sanded.
Every time I build something I always compromise and use methods I'm comfortable with. Whatever you do it will turn out a fabulous model.

Good luck
badsimmonds

mimrie

Alphans
Sidetracked

Sorry there's been no updates for a while, I've been busy with work and also got a bit distracted when I saw the Monoprice Mini Delta printer on sale for a ridiculous price (currently £65 from monoprice.uk). So I downsized the car and was very impressed with the results from this printer.
As you can see I'm practicing my painting on the small version, not perfect by any means but it's my first real go at this.
I am going to use a resin printer to try to produce the ribbing sections with higher resolution.

Mick

Attachments

• Monopriceminidelta.jpg
    Monopriceminidelta.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 12
  • RawPieces.jpg
    RawPieces.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Sizes.jpg
    Sizes.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 22
  • painted.jpg
    painted.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 25

mimrie

Alphans
The Space City Control Room is obviously a virtual (CGI) model but was modeled to puppet scale using the bits and pieces I know the size of. So it could be used to generate a set of puppet sized plans.

Mick

mimrie

Alphans
I've been using Cinema4d for years but decided not to update last time round because of the shift to a subscription model. So my plan is to transition to Blender though there's quite a learning curve.
C4D has built in photo matching which is how I generated the basic geometry of the control room; i think you can do something similar in Blender using Fspy to set the camera up.
A good library of reference images is vital for this sort of work, I spent hours grabbing screen shots and indexing them for easy access (using Adobe Bridge which is free).

Mick

right...I think you'll find modeling in blender is very easy...its animating characters, ..rigging...etc that takes the learning curve. cost wise, printing out full size sets would be very expensive....maybe printing the odd thing may be an idea for my own project.
id never heard of fspy ...im going to look it up...thanks