Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Spectrum Hovercraft

saturnapollo

Alphans
Just finished the UNCL resin Spectrum Hovercraft. It's very well made and the only problem I really had was it was too well fitting. Once I applied superglue I found the fit of some parts was too tight so had to prise the pieces apart to remove some of the resin.

I deliberately left off the Koala Base decals as I wished to place the hovercraft in settings other than that of the Australian Outback.

Keith

Last edited:

saturnapollo

Alphans
Thanks guys. I agree that these are probably the best. Not so sure about the one with two hovercraft in it.

Sorry Areteecee that's all I've done. Working on some of the new Ares I launch vehicle which will supercede the shuttle at the moment.

Keith

Eagle

Commander Ret.
Question for you, Keith; do you get the location photo first then light it to match or take the model first then find a location? :juggle:

Thet first one's damn near perfect!

Excellent stuff by the way. :)

saturnapollo

Alphans
A bit of both really. Sometimes I just light the model, especially if it is a spacecraft, as I know I can always find a photo with the proper lighting conditions. Obviously if I do have photos in mind which I want to use as backgrounds I try my best to match the lighting with the model, but sometimes you can only get an approximation.

In this case I took the photos of the model first with no idea where I would get the background photos from. In the end I came across a couple of photos on the web, including a really interesting geology site (I've credited it on my web site) which is the first photo. I have to admit to being really lucky as only after putting the two elements together, did I realise just how well they matched. If it wasn't for the two boulders in the foreground casting shadows, I could have got away with quite a range of lighting directions.

In some instances the two elements go together pretty well, but my lighting is coming from the wrong direction, so either I'll flip the background photo if that fixes it or I'll redo the model shot.

Keith

TonyB

Forum Supporter
Nice model and good images Keith, very nice. :D

One question for you though, what was the brand and colour for the blue paint you used on the model. It looks much closer to the actual colour than the one I used on the Hovercraft kit I built a couple of years back.

saturnapollo

Alphans
Thanks Tony.

The blue was a mixture of Humbrol 96 and some 109. Just mixed it until I arrived at a colour as close as that of the only available still of the hovercraft.

Keith

techno

Alphans
This was a Superb Job with the Hovercraft! i almost started Humming the Captain Scarlet Theme seeing them! Your Photos almost made me think of Scenes i'd seen on a Discovery Channel Wings Episode about Hovercraft! Any plans to have Your Spectrum Hovercraft in a Scene with a Beach Background like an Exercise involving the World Army? Just asking. Dan

There are great (old) photos - this and the latest FAB issue 76 featuring the hovercraft have me longing for a kit- its a pity Konami did not do a second range for Scarlet would have loved if they had done one

saturnapollo

Alphans
Glad to hear that you found it - and bought one! The site seems to have stripped the Timeless Hobbie part of the link and replaced it with asterix.

Keith