Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

STAR WARS turns 30 today

Fun Pod

Alphans

:clap:

Stu73

Alphans
30 uears later and it's time for something new i think.
Oops, I've just alienated myself from the rest of humanity...

G

HAPPY BIRTHDAY you great big awesome franchise!
George will you please adopt me??

Bishop

Alphans
Stu73 said:
30 uears later and it's time for something new i think.
Oops, I've just alienated myself from the rest of humanity...

I understand what you're saying....I guess we can celebrate and move on to something new as well. I have, I've found Space 1999...and I look forward to UFO...some people aren't so lucky

Stu73

Alphans
ah- but Space 1999 is OLDER, but not as boring.

It's just that I overdosed on that jedi nonsense when I was a kid, and now (even though I have 5 out of 6 of the movies on DVD) I am totally bored with it.

And the last three (non)real Star Wars movies....
he really should've left it with the real trilogy.

Bishop

Alphans
But I don't mind the first 3...talk about alienating half the forum :D simply because they tell the story and you have the 3 good ones to look forward to. Basically he couldn't lose.

I like to visit them once in a while, but I have never been over the top about them...says he who owns all six plus a nice little hoard of tie fighters a darth vader mask, plenty of star wars lego, figures and a light sabre.

But yes, we are ready for the next thing.

sliuman

Forum Supporter
Happy Birthday Star Wars.

So, it seems somehow appropriate that this is the day I also have taken delivery of my 1:48th scale Y-wing from Starship Modeler.

Though really for me the 30th anniversary starts December 29, 1977 when I first saw it at the Leicester Square Theatre!!

G

dont forget that there is some star wars special on this weekend on the
history channel (USA only?)

The History Channel posted a preview of its Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed on its website Thursday. The two-hour documentary focuses on the emotional impact the movie made and why it continues to do so today. It is due to air on Monday, May 28 at 9:00 p.m.

Liberator

Alphans
Decided to watch my DVD copy today, - the "improved" version. Overall this movie still holds up pretty damn well in this day and ag, for a movie 30 years old - it has "sole".

I love the SF but they dont overshadow the storyline like the newer episodes. which I still dont enjoy and I still dont have the final episode.

Bishop

Alphans
I have that picture saved to my computer as it always gives me a laugh just thinking about how the advert would run. "Hey, doesn't that little blue guy sound like Yoda...nah, I think you're referring to Grover"

As time goes by.......................saw the first Star Wars film in 1977 in San Diego. Had to wait for hours to get into that cinema! Was not alone!!

i heard rumours many moons ago that this was supposed to be a trilogy trilogy, if you get hwat i men. 3 sets of 3 films, the beginning, the middle and the end. we've had the beginning and the middle......

AceMartini

Alphans
I think Lucas put that idea away a few years ago. He said Star Wars was the story of Annakin Skywalker and that his story was complete. So no other trilogy.

I would like someone to do a smarter, better first trilogy, however.

TonyB

Forum Supporter
The original idea was to have nine movies, three trilogies that covered a period of approx 40 years, but that was idea shelved and then abandoned for some reason.

Stu73 said:
ah- but Space 1999 is OLDER, but not as boring.

It's just that I overdosed on that jedi nonsense when I was a kid, and now (even though I have 5 out of 6 of the movies on DVD) I am totally bored with it.

And the last three (non)real Star Wars movies....
he really should've left it with the real trilogy.

Yep, I gave up after the fifth ? Second ? I saw the trailer for the last one, but it just seemed like all the same scenes, tho' not neccessarily in the same order...

Fun Pod

Alphans
Today I received my copy of J.W. Rinzler's The Making of Star Wars, which JD mentioned above.
The jacket claims "the definitive story behind the original film". Take my word for it, it aint hype. This tome, nay bible is both massive in size and content, with the hardcover edition containing 50 extra pages over the softcover.
If you own or have read any of the general bio's out there about George Lucas/making Star Wars, think of this book as the attendant photographic record, with documents of events which might normally be simply alluded to or mentioned in brief, generalised terms elsewhere ... it's all there, in detail.
My sincere thanks to fellow Kiwi member JD, who in several PM's, organised a joint purchase through Amazon US, which allowed us to purchase more cheaply than buying the book at our respective local book-sellers (!).
It was also JD who "flew" three PE Eagles in 'suitcase formation' to NZ after a trip to Blightly - one of which sits proudly by my PC.
To paraphrase a line from The Empire Strikes Back, "That's two I owe you."
:read:

Bishop

Alphans
Sounds like JD was playing Santa in July. :santa: What a great haul. Its sad to think that we in this region of the world can get things more easily from elsewhere rather than our own countries. Is that your first PE eagle? Congrats even if it isn't. 8)

TonyB

Forum Supporter
I picked up a copy of the Making of Star Wars a few weeks ago, half price because the local bookshop was having a mega clear out, :D so I just had to have the tome, mind you I would still have had it at full price after looking in it. As Funpod points out it is an excellent book and well worth the shelf space.